Author Topic: Big Tire Thread  (Read 16135 times)

August 26, 2015, 09:38:56 PM
Reply #90

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
I would also like to know how you buckled them.
Couldn't have been on a road, unless a serious pothole on tar maybe?
Or do you go rock climbing?
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

August 28, 2015, 06:42:26 PM
Reply #91

PB

• View Profile
Went to Wortelgat (Walker Bay) and drove up and down about 15km gravel road about 6 times. Did hit a couple of potholes, but not that bad that I thought it would buckle the rims. I thought it would take a bit more than that.
So maybe some tips....
1)What tire pressure do you guys run on?
2)How do you know if your shocks are gaar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

August 28, 2015, 09:32:42 PM
Reply #92

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
long gravel I would drop it down to 2.0 or even 1.8
My normal 2.4 is way to hard and transmits way too much to the rims and shocks

as for shocks being shot there is test you can do on the shocks
first is push the car down hard and release
It should immediately go back to normal height and not up and down or very slowly

You can take it to decent shock place and have them run the proper tests
2007 2.5XT Manual (and boy did I have to search for manual one)

August 29, 2015, 11:31:14 AM
Reply #93

Subifan

• View Profile
    • Email

2)How do you know if your shocks are gaar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When my rear shocks went on the road to Lekkersing it sounded like the whole rear suspension was falling out whenever you passed a dip in the road - instantly slowed me right down and gave me one hell of a fright. Car handled fine right up to that point so no warning that they were failing and it handled fine after that until half way back form the Richtersveld to Cape Town when the rear started to get very loose and wayward and one had to slow down significantly for corners and bends.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:44:51 PM by Subifan »

August 30, 2015, 09:57:00 AM
Reply #94

PieterT

• View Profile
    • Email
Worn shocks tend to show very obviously on rough gravel roads as they fade after a few km's and the handling gets much looser.

Sometimes you also get a sound like a flat tyre on corrugated roads.

But by the time any of the above is evident, the shocks are way past due.

When in doubt, replace them - I have never heard anyone complain about replacing shocks too early, but almost always you wil hear about what huge difference it has made and why had they not replaced it sooner.
2012 Subaru Forester 2.0D Premium - Steel Silver

August 30, 2015, 05:46:46 PM
Reply #95

PB

• View Profile
Thx guys, this is great advice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

February 16, 2016, 05:27:57 PM
Reply #96

pieterp4n

• View Profile
Hi Guys,

I am doing a trip to Namibia in a months time, with four people in my 2014 Forester XT and pulling an Echo 3...

Brave, I know, but the one thing I am worried about now is tyres.

I currently have the factory fitted Bridgestone Duelers D400 on, and have never used the spare so still un-worn...

Now, do I replace it with 5 new ones, and if so which tyre would be recommended?
Would the Yoko G012 be a good tyre for a predominantly highway runner?

I also assume a good TPM system is needed for peace of mind...
Current: 2014 Subaru FXT - Pearl White
Next:     2015 Subaru FSTi - Blue??

February 16, 2016, 06:10:27 PM
Reply #97

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
I run GO12's and very happy with them as an ALL TERRAIN tire. They hook up great on gravel and inspire a lot of confidence in the turns.

The problem is in your case that you are running 18's and will need to downsize to 17's to get the right size.

Personally, if you have a spare you should be fine. I would not be too worried about tires at this point. Namibia is a well-equipped country and tires shouldn't be a problem (if it turns out that they are, there are plenty of farmers who are willing to help)

I think that if you are going to get a puncture with your current tires, chances are high that they will puncture G012's too.
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

February 16, 2016, 08:33:47 PM
Reply #98

PieterT

• View Profile
    • Email
Agreed Steve - Namibian gravel is often better than our tar roads.

If you must replace now - have a look at the Yokohama G055 - I find them to be a very good balance on my mostly tar road and seldom sand use.
They are also of the new generation tyres and are thus very quiet compared to the G012.
2012 Subaru Forester 2.0D Premium - Steel Silver

February 16, 2016, 08:59:32 PM
Reply #99

Wynandd

• View Profile
    • Email
I recently replaced my factory Geolandar G015's with a set of Bridgestone H/T 225/65 x 17. I find them awesome on and off road and with the added height in ratio, I'm able to deflate to 1.5 bar, for sand driving. My speedo is 100% correct as per GPS now, spare wheel fits when deflated (have a little compressor) and handling is not severely affected on wet or dry. No issues with rubbing anywhere and plenty of space even when loaded. Drive extensively in Namibia went fishing in Hentiesbaai and drove several kilo's on sand up to Mile 108.
Ex - 2007 Subaru Forester XS
Ex - 2008 Subaru Forester XT
Current - 2010 Subaru Forester XT

February 18, 2016, 03:19:42 PM
Reply #100

pieterp4n

• View Profile
Thanks for all the feedback!

I have considered the G012 as it does come in the 18" size, but most reviews indicate quite a soft side wall...

The latest recommendation from Subaru CPT and TWT, who supplies their tires, is to go for the Pirelli Scorpion Verde, with 70% highway 30% offroad rating...

As my current set is not yet at end of life (+- 10000kms to go), I am thinking of only taking two new tires with me on the trip to only replace if I lose a tire.

@Steve, thanks for setting my mind at ease, maybe I am just over preparing a bit. I have only heard good things about Namib gravel roads...
@PieterT and @Wynandd the G055 and H/T 687 (D687) is not available in the 18"size :(

Seems my biggest problem remains the 18"ers :P
Current: 2014 Subaru FXT - Pearl White
Next:     2015 Subaru FSTi - Blue??