Author Topic: Mozambique July 2017 (Ponta Malongane)  (Read 413 times)

July 27, 2017, 10:45:31 PM
Read 413 times

stefmau

• View Profile
    • Email
So earlier this year I had a brain-fart and an idea popped into my head to go on a long roadtrip with the family during the school holidays.
Having been to southern Moz more than 10 years ago and knowing the Foz's love for sand.. the decision was an easy one, but only needing to convince the Mrs.
I chatted with a work mate and after showing him a rough idea of the route he just laughed at me and wished me luck.
Challenge accepted!
With two small kids and a reluctant wife, I knew I needed to plan this properly from the start.
We decided on Ponta Malongane as our destination and checked what options we had for accommodation to complete the trip.
After some Googling and AirBnB'ing our places were sorted and the planning continued.

A rough overview of the route:

I managed to find a set of 16" rims and got some new Geolander G015s fitted and lent a spare rim from another forum member (thanks David!)

Passports [emoji736]
All paperwork [emoji736]

First day was CT to Beaufort West, then onwards to Pretoria to following morning

My well thought out planning landed us in the middle of evening Joburg traffic on a Friday afternoon [emoji35]

A short stay with family in Pretoria, then off to a rustic farm retreat near Lydenburg.

After a few day's chilling, it was time to continue.
From Lydenburg to Pongola and then towards Kosi Bay border post.

As luck would have it, near Piet Retief, equidistant from Nelspruit and Petermaritzburg Subaru dealerships >300km awaythe triple combo engine warning lights came on.
CEL + traction control + cruise control blinking.
Car was still going strong but I had a moment of panic.
The WhatsApp group had some quick answers, and set my mind at ease to continue to our overnight stop 100km away.

A workshop, mainly dealing with Toyotas and tractors, and unfamiliar with "Japanese sports cars" had a guy "Poekie" who scanned the codes and managed to reset:

It confirmed the suspicions from fellow members, the codes were cleared and we continued our trip.

Next day mid morning we arrived at Kosi Bay border post.
Some paperwork checked and passports stamped we entered Moz and took the middle road towards Ponta Malongane.

A few hundred meters past the border post, the sand already became thick.
We deflated tyres a little (turns out I only went down to 1,9b)

We managed to head off course and ended up in Ponta du Ouro. Friendly locals directed us back on course

Ponta Malongane dive camp was only 1km from our place. Either a 10min beach walk or a quick drive to get there. I found as many excuses as possible to use the car to get around on the sand roads.

I suspect we had the only Subaru in southern Moz. The campsite looked like a Toyota dealership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

July 28, 2017, 09:59:25 AM
Reply #1

sav

• View Profile
Amazing trip, thanks for sharing.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

July 28, 2017, 10:05:30 AM
Reply #2

NeilV

• View Profile
Looks like you had a great trip! Total km's traveled? What sort of fuel consumption did you get for the entire route?
Cape Town

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS auto

July 28, 2017, 12:46:59 PM
Reply #3

stefmau

• View Profile
    • Email
Yeah it was a great trip.
I'll post some of the sandy driving clips when I've had a chance to edit them.
Overall consumption was around 10,4l/100. Fully packed and two bikes in the back, highway speeds averaged 130kph.
The tank of fuel within Moz was around 13,8l/100
Total km's was 5200km.
540-odd liters used [emoji15]

July 28, 2017, 02:02:31 PM
Reply #4

NeilV

• View Profile
Cape Town

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS auto

August 04, 2017, 06:38:38 AM
Reply #5

PietSkiet

• View Profile
    • Email
Very nice! Thanks for sharing, can't wait to take mine on those exact Mozam sand roads!

Did you have to keep strong momentum to not get stuck or could you just cruze / float at a slow pace on the sand and not get stuck?
2012 XS 2.5 Africa 20 Edition
Pretotia Gauteng

August 04, 2017, 01:06:26 PM
Reply #6

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email

August 04, 2017, 09:34:24 PM
Reply #7

stefmau

• View Profile
    • Email
@Piet. The Foz did not even break a sweat. Not once did I get the feeling we'd get stuck. Not even the really thick sand near Ponta du Ouro.
I recon it's best to keep some momentum when you see the sand becoming thick.
My tyre pressure gauge was giving issues. Only when we re inflated at the border that I realized I only dropped to 1,9b.
(The Rav4,ML,x5 brigade were all running very low pressures).

What surprised me more is that the car was a WHOLE lot more comfortable than the Jeep Grand Cherokee that joined us

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:39:51 PM by stefmau »

August 04, 2017, 09:38:25 PM
Reply #8

stefmau

• View Profile
    • Email
Awesome!
Those rims in your profile look very familiar [emoji3]

August 16, 2017, 03:25:45 PM
Reply #9