Author Topic: Need help on choosing the right forester for me  (Read 533 times)

August 06, 2017, 12:50:34 PM
Read 533 times

ScoobyDoobyDoo

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Everyone I am looking to get my first car
I originally wanted a WRX but my parents wont allow that
My dad really likes the idea of a forester XT for me as a first car.

i have the option for a foz between 2006 and 2012
i am planning on modifying the car with things like exhuast, tune, sound system and wheels
the problem i have is i cant choose between the two forester shapes

the 2009-2012 is good looking but too high off the ground
the 2006-2008 is ugly but nice and low and looks like/is a wagon and a lot of the SA models dont have rear wings
I am looking for a manual
we can spend no more than 195 000

please if any of you guys have experience with either cars i would love some info and opinions
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:53:07 PM by ScoobyDoobyDoo »

August 06, 2017, 01:48:43 PM
Reply #1

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
I need a dad like that  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Don't say the SG is ugly, please. It's much better looking than a Tuna ;) or a Smoky (Kuga, especially those blackened ones)  ;D

Anyway, welcome newbie.

You obviously want this car for track/racing use, not for gravel/offroad. i see a lot of "dropped" SG models. Wait a few days, I'm sure there are many guys with relevant experience here wo will share.
Mine is raised, so I can't offer anything.....

Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

August 06, 2017, 01:50:59 PM
Reply #2

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey ScoobyDoobyDoo!
Wow. Quite a lot to chat about.
Herewith my humble opinion.
The SG9 shape, 2006-2008 is a lot quicker, lighter and more easily modded in this country.
The SH9 is fatter, bigger and slower. Less of a pointed driving tool and more of a functional tool.
The manual is the way to go if you like driving.
The XT is fantastic, but being a turbo will use a lot more fuel because you will have to feed the horses.
Both cars actually come out with the same turbo, a dinky TD-04 which was probably better suited to an 1800 engine IMHO.
However the exhaust housing on the SH does not lend itself to upgrading as easily to any of the STi Turbo's namely the VF series. VF 35,39,43 or 48. You will have to look for a VF52 rather. A bit more scarce.
The SG and SH exhausts sound really nice once upgraded.
Sound systems too. The stock ones are rubbish.
Wheels? Now one has to choose carefully. What do you want with them? Road or off road. I go off road on a set of 16" running 215/65 R16 and I have 235/40 R18 semi slicks on a set light weight 18". Horses for courses yeah?
TUNE, now we have to talk seriously. Do your home work wherever you are. If you in JHB then my suggestion is to get hold of King Chett on the forum and discuss your plans.
DO NOT upgrade the turbo or decat your exhaust and just expect your car not to blow up.
You are welcome to message me, but some research either on this forum or FaceTube is in order.
Wings? Well they only came out on the SG9 Prodrive edition and some of us have had fiberglass ones made.
Whatever your choice, keep an eye out for a good quality Foz and have it tested by a reputable mechanic prior to purchasing. What you looking for  is a leak down test so you can get an idea as to the health of the motor.
A new radiator will not go amiss as these tend to pop and there go your head gaskets and that is going to cost many dollars.
Hope this helped...
Forester XT 2008 MT
TD04, STi IC, 76mm DP, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Intent Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.5

August 06, 2017, 02:36:35 PM
Reply #3

ScoobyDoobyDoo

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey ScoobyDoobyDoo!
Wow. Quite a lot to chat about.
Herewith my humble opinion.
The SG9 shape, 2006-2008 is a lot quicker, lighter and more easily modded in this country.
The SH9 is fatter, bigger and slower. Less of a pointed driving tool and more of a functional tool.
The manual is the way to go if you like driving.
The XT is fantastic, but being a turbo will use a lot more fuel because you will have to feed the horses.
Both cars actually come out with the same turbo, a dinky TD-04 which was probably better suited to an 1800 engine IMHO.
However the exhaust housing on the SH does not lend itself to upgrading as easily to any of the STi Turbo's namely the VF series. VF 35,39,43 or 48. You will have to look for a VF52 rather. A bit more scarce.
The SG and SH exhausts sound really nice once upgraded.
Sound systems too. The stock ones are rubbish.
Wheels? Now one has to choose carefully. What do you want with them? Road or off road. I go off road on a set of 16" running 215/65 R16 and I have 235/40 R18 semi slicks on a set light weight 18". Horses for courses yeah?
TUNE, now we have to talk seriously. Do your home work wherever you are. If you in JHB then my suggestion is to get hold of King Chett on the forum and discuss your plans.
DO NOT upgrade the turbo or decat your exhaust and just expect your car not to blow up.
You are welcome to message me, but some research either on this forum or FaceTube is in order.
Wings? Well they only came out on the SG9 Prodrive edition and some of us have had fiberglass ones made.
Whatever your choice, keep an eye out for a good quality Foz and have it tested by a reputable mechanic prior to purchasing. What you looking for  is a leak down test so you can get an idea as to the health of the motor.
A new radiator will not go amiss as these tend to pop and there go your head gaskets and that is going to cost many dollars.
Hope this helped...

Thanks so much...very helpful information
i do like the SG9 a lot (reminds me of one of my dads cars, Volvo v70 cross country 2.5l T) since you mentioning its faster and easier to mod i do think i wouldnt regret going with it. mentioning wheels i really like the look of the Rota Gravel, ultrex and sti wheels...not so much for offroad maybe once in a blue moon...i live in vereeniging where potholes are an issue so i want wheels with some beef to them. for the turbo i dont think im going to do that any time soon. i dont not know too much about cars and i only recently became a big car NUT .
Try not to cringe too hard (dont know a whole lot) but you saying a decat could cause a blown motor i wont even look into it but do you recomend a tune after installing a catback exhuast in my car?

August 07, 2017, 02:10:45 PM
Reply #4

Garrsie

• View Profile
    • Email
It's one of the things on our cars. After you sneeze in it, you should get a tune  :) . I would look at a tune even if you didn't do the catback. Reason I say is that (and I stand to be corrected) the Scoobs out of Japan come with a tune for 98octane fuel and of course ours is 95 at best. After a tune, our cars come alive, even if it's still stock, but after exhaust mods for sure you need one. Think of it this way, you're opening up the car's breathing ability but leaving it with the same size lungs and not teaching it to breathe differently i.e. no tune and lungs are going to burst.

We don't "cringe" on here as long as you don't do silly stuff without asking first  :D so no worries.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 02:17:21 PM by Garrsie »
2006 Forester XT, Wiseco pistons, 18"Koya lightweight wheels, Bridgestone re002, Custom 20g turbo, STi IC, 76mm exhaust, Walbro 255, Custom turbo inlet, intake spacers, Gizmo Boost Controller, TGV deletes. BC RA Coilies, Brembo big Calipers, PB RS Discs, Coolboost WMI, Intent Performance Tuned

August 07, 2017, 05:17:24 PM
Reply #5

ScoobyDoobyDoo

• View Profile
    • Email
It's one of the things on our cars. After you sneeze in it, you should get a tune  :) . I would look at a tune even if you didn't do the catback. Reason I say is that (and I stand to be corrected) the Scoobs out of Japan come with a tune for 98octane fuel and of course ours is 95 at best. After a tune, our cars come alive, even if it's still stock, but after exhaust mods for sure you need one. Think of it this way, you're opening up the car's breathing ability but leaving it with the same size lungs and not teaching it to breathe differently i.e. no tune and lungs are going to burst.

We don't "cringe" on here as long as you don't do silly stuff without asking first  :D so no worries.

thanks for the info Garrsie
mind me asking where you got that grill of yours
only place i seem to find them is ebay...going to look at a black 08 forester xt very soon its a manual with 117 000 km on the clock
i really hate the chrome grills that come with the SG9 fozzies

August 08, 2017, 07:10:12 AM
Reply #6

Garrsie

• View Profile
    • Email
thanks for the info Garrsie
mind me asking where you got that grill of yours
only place i seem to find them is ebay...going to look at a black 08 forester xt very soon its a manual with 117 000 km on the clock
i really hate the chrome grills that come with the SG9 fozzies

Pleasure!
Re my grill, I did it myself. You use a hacksaw and cut out the grill and replace with the mesh. Lots of filler and even more sanding and you're golden. Was quite fun to do but you must cut the mesh before cutting the grill up.
It's great to find a manual xt. I was looking for one myself but then test drove my SportShift and really liked it.

One thing I did forget to say in the last post; I don't think this is optional> get yourself a bluetooth OBD dongle and connect up to your phone. If you're android, download Torque from the play store (free version is ok but the pro version is only R60 or so). With the app, you can monitor things like water temperature and boost. It saved my engine block when my head gaskets failed because the Subaru water temp gauge is works as well as chain sawing a spring mattress.
2006 Forester XT, Wiseco pistons, 18"Koya lightweight wheels, Bridgestone re002, Custom 20g turbo, STi IC, 76mm exhaust, Walbro 255, Custom turbo inlet, intake spacers, Gizmo Boost Controller, TGV deletes. BC RA Coilies, Brembo big Calipers, PB RS Discs, Coolboost WMI, Intent Performance Tuned