Author Topic: Sagging rear suspensionr  (Read 126 times)

August 12, 2017, 02:28:56 PM
Read 126 times

ForesterXV

• View Profile
Hi all. I have a 2008 forester xs with 200000km on the clock. Awesome vehicle. The self levelling struts have just been replaced with non sls Monroe struts but the rear suspension still sags. Anyone with suggestions as to why and what to do about it? New springs? Spacers? Any advice Welcome - thanks!

August 12, 2017, 07:11:54 PM
Reply #1

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi F XV,
You can't just replace the shocks, and keep the SLS springs. On those, the shock actually helped to lift the back.
You need the springs from a non-sls model, normally the X.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

August 12, 2017, 08:38:51 PM
Reply #2

ForesterXV

• View Profile
Thanks  Berbdp. As I thought...  I possibly made the mistake of not having it done by Subaru to save some money. I will take it back for springs.
Apart from wipers and tyres, this is the first thing I've had to replace in just over 200000km so can't complain!

August 12, 2017, 08:51:32 PM
Reply #3

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Don't need to take it to SSA.
Just need to get the springs from them.

If you are able, it's not such a big job.
You will need spring compressors (clamps with threaded rods...), and some really basic spanners. Don't forget common sense and logic.

Most difficult part (not counting the spring compressors), is undoing the 2 bolts at the bottom of the struts. They are vas.

Spring compressors you can get at any spares shop.
http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/235463734/Coil_Spring_Compressor.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgd_fvq3S1QIVg7vtCh3Flw2xEAQYASABEgJ3X_D_BwE

I made mine DIY, because I had the material and the means. 1/2" steam pipe, a bit of flatbar, M16 threaded rod and nuts and washers.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

August 13, 2017, 08:28:47 PM
Reply #4

ForesterXV

• View Profile
Thanks a stack for the great advice! Will give that a try. I understand the springs are around R850 each.

August 14, 2017, 08:19:04 AM
Reply #5

Wynandd

• View Profile
    • Email
Can I please have the part number for the Monroe shocks you installed? Need to do the same...
Ex - 2007 Subaru Forester XS
Ex - 2008 Subaru Forester XT
Current - 2010 Subaru Forester XT