Author Topic: Is the cyclone filter worth it?  (Read 592 times)

August 17, 2017, 10:22:02 AM
Read 592 times

trapsuutjies

• View Profile
    • Email
For those who may be interested: In an effort to reduce fuel consumption, I bought a 'cyclone filter' last year. This was before I learned that Subaru has what they call a tumbler which does basically the same thing. Oh well. Basically the cyclone creates a vortex in your air pipe before the filter, pushing the air through faster.

It's a very simple metal device that you can install yourself (I know NOTHING about cars and I did it myself).

Before installation my car consumed 9.48l / 100km. After installation it improved to 9.84l / 100km. At my rate of driving (not a lot) it took half a year for return on investment - so if you don't have to borrow money to install it, it's worth it, but only barely.    :o

If someone is interested I'll take some pics on how to install and what it looks like.

August 17, 2017, 10:28:12 AM
Reply #1

sav

• View Profile
Sounds like it got worse? I'd say 0.4l/100km is negligible though.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

August 17, 2017, 10:34:52 AM
Reply #2

Bravofox

• Just another Member

• View Profile
    • Email
Before installation my car consumed 9.48l / 100km. After installation it improved to 9.84l / 100km.
Apart from it being actually worse (Yeah, maybe just a typo.) that measured difference is so small that it really cannot be conclusive.
2015 Outback 3.6R-S
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Wagon.
-ex -2009 SH XT A/T
-ex- 2009 SG9 XT Premium Manual
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Manual
-ex- 2002 Legacy 2.5GX A/T

August 20, 2017, 06:18:09 PM
Reply #3

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
..... Basically the cyclone creates a vortex in your air pipe before the filter, pushing the air through faster.

And you believe all that bolly

.... Subaru has what they call a tumbler which does .....

AFAIK the tumbler(s) sit in the manifold ports, creating a swirl in the air, in an effort to mix the fuel/air better before entering the combustion chamber, thereby improving combustion/speed of combustion....

But I stand to be corrected on this.

Any device in the path of the air (or exhaust), will create a resistance to the airflow. (Einstein/Newton/Reynolds (you know, those clever old guys) said so). So, for this device to have any benifit at all, it must firstly counter it's own negative effect on the system, before it can provide any gains.

It's the same as those devices you put on the fuel lines (some 30 years ago), that improved fuel efficiency. Many people swore by them, but a lot learnt the only benefit they gave was to the guys selling them.  :D

Regardless, some pics would be appreciated, please, so we can all see what this is.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

August 21, 2017, 10:44:50 AM
Reply #4

Fozxt-zn

• View Profile
we tested these on a turbo an non turbo car a few years back on the turbo car it restricted airflow a lot and we found that it's max rpm couldnt come even close to that of the turbo when it was on boost so created even more of a restriction.

on the n/a car it did make a very slight difference under full throttle, but affected the performance from standstill as it took a while for the device to start spinning and would restrict airflow until it got up to speed, which also affected throttle response. it would also keep pushing air in for a little bit when you let off the throttle which caused some wierd jerking issues.

August 30, 2017, 07:35:10 AM
Reply #5

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
One of those where you need to install 5

Just whatever you do, do not install 6 if you do that your tank will start over flowing :D

hehehehehe

Basically it is a scam majority of new cars have inlet systems designed to improve intake already.
Putting this in place just messes with that and may improve economy
While negatively affecting performance for instance.

Just about the same as the unit you in plug into your electrical outlet that improves performance
When you open it you see it is just a little LED light :)
2007 2.5XT Manual (and boy did I have to search for manual one)