Author Topic: 06 SG NA 5MT gearbox - am I going mad?  (Read 349 times)

August 29, 2017, 05:01:24 PM
Read 349 times

Hackster

• View Profile
Been lurking here for a long time, finally have something to post.

In the last couple of weeks I've experienced trouble putting my car into first gear. This occurs intermittently and sometimes seems to get worse if I've been driving around in traffic for a while. If I pump the clutch, it seems to help but still doesn't go in easily.

The clutch was replaced at 175k by a well-regarded private workshop and just over a year and half later I had my 200k service done last week at the dealers at which time they also did a full bleed of the hydraulics.

I asked the dealer to look into this problem, but they didn't experience any problems while testing the car. They did note that there was a noise from the clutch area when the vehicle was cold and advised me to go back to the workshop who installed the clutch to have it checked out.

I've been back to the private workshop and they've checked it and ALSO can't find any problem. Despite doing an extended test drive.

So two workshops can't find any fault, but I know I'm not imagining the problem. Sometimes the car doesn't want to go into first. I've also got the feeling that the gearchange isn't as fluid as it used to be, through any of the gears.

Any suggestions?

August 29, 2017, 07:16:43 PM
Reply #1

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Do you know what oil is in the box?

Mine is also "sticky", although it does have a few more km's on than your car.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

August 30, 2017, 12:43:40 PM
Reply #2

Hackster

• View Profile
I'm assuming that the gear box has the OE spec oil in it because it has been dealer serviced for most of its life.