Author Topic: Yokohama GO15 size and feedback?  (Read 739 times)

August 31, 2017, 06:39:49 AM
Read 739 times

BiG DoM

• View Profile
    • Email
Any reason why I cannot replace my GO55 225/55/17's with GO15 225/65/17's on 09XT?
Other than speculated higher fuel consumption?! Spare may need deflation to fit?
Anyone got feedback on the GO15?

August 31, 2017, 07:04:14 AM
Reply #1

stefmau

• View Profile
    • Email
I replaced my G95s (225/60r17) with G015s when I managed to pick up some 16"rims.
Tyres size now is 215/65r16 so overall approx 2% smaller rolling diametre.
Not sure if you may have some rubbing issues at that size at full lock.
I'm happy with the tyres. A little more road noise than the older ones, but definitely manageable and not obtrusive inside.
Car handles a little differently, especially at highway speeds.
Gravel and sand handles sweetly.
More of a fishtail feeling around corners but I think it has to do with the higher sidewalls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:09:30 AM by stefmau »

August 31, 2017, 08:02:19 AM
Reply #2

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
225/65/17 might be a stretch to fit under the spring perches, and might rub on full lock. Think it will still fit though.

I don't think fuel consumption will be affected that much. Run them hard (2.5 bar and up) for road use. Your cruising revs will go down about 7%, speedo will prob read spot on.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

September 01, 2017, 12:54:45 PM
Reply #3

Fozxt-zn

• View Profile
I am runnin 225 65 17 g015's on my sh xt, i have had to re-mould my fender lining and flatten the pinch weld in the front fenders, I have pedders harder suspension and LSS strut spacers and it still rubs on full flex at certain angles, also if you are loaded full at the back and hit a large bump at speed it rubs on the rear of the fender liner, the spare does fit but does have to be deflated. I also had to get a new jack as the standard one cant lift high enough anymore to get the wheel on. 

September 01, 2017, 03:39:38 PM
Reply #4

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
One size up is OK. Two sizes is a problem.  :(. You want to do two.
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

September 02, 2017, 09:44:46 PM
Reply #5

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
I am runnin 225 65 17 g015's on my sh xt, i have had to re-mould my fender lining and flatten the pinch weld in the front fenders, I have pedders harder suspension and LSS strut spacers and it still rubs on full flex at certain angles, also if you are loaded full at the back and hit a large bump at speed it rubs on the rear of the fender liner, the spare does fit but does have to be deflated. I also had to get a new jack as the standard one cant lift high enough anymore to get the wheel on.

So, is it really worth it?

TBH, the std jack would prob work, if you carried a nice block of wood with you as a spacer below the jack (needed in anycase if you go into sand/mud areas)

I have 215/65/16's, and still had to deflate (new)spare to get it to fit in sparewheelwell.
Only issue with deflated spare (apart from the requirement of a compressor), is that if you clamp it down, it actually deforms the spare. You need a spacer to keep the rim at approx OEM height when clamping it down.

I use(d) a piece of 50mm PVC drain pipe as a spacer around the clamping bolt.

I always have a compressor in the car, even on tar  :D :D

That's my experience.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

September 04, 2017, 10:13:01 AM
Reply #6

Fozxt-zn

• View Profile
with the lift and the tires deflated the std jack at max extension is about 30ml too short, try changing a tire on anything other than flat ground with a short jack balanced on a block of wood...  its not fun.  Honestly unless you are going the full lift route and do a lot of offroad like i do it is not worth it, the simple fact is the tire is too big for the actual wheel well and you need to be prepared to take a big hammer to your car to get it to fit, if you are looking for a bigger sidewall you would be better off dropping down to a smaller size rim,
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:14:38 AM by Fozxt-zn »

September 05, 2017, 09:44:34 PM
Reply #7

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Keep a block of timber(wood) (i.e offcut from big roof beam) or similar in the car to raise the jack. Also helps in sand, to give the jack some support.

I actually have an endshield of an electric motor (aluminum) + plywood "pad" in the car as a platform for the jack. :D
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

March 07, 2018, 10:45:44 AM
Reply #8

zealotza

• View Profile
    • Email
I fitted 215/65R16 GO15 to my 2005 XS

I took a small sledge hammer to the spare wheel well and after an hour or 2 of fairly hard work, the tyre fits.

One tip:

Get a plank to run across the top of the tyre, to check for high spots. I realised that I had been spending a lot of time hitting the initial high spots but had neglected the other areas.
Which part of the wheel well still needs work can be tricky to see. Once you are close put the wheel in and run the plank across the floor of the boot and see where the tyre is sticking up.

(hope that description makes sense.

I put a quick coat of regular spray paint on the "modified" sections afterwards.

March 07, 2018, 01:11:22 PM
Reply #9

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
I managed to fit a 215/65R16 G012 in the spare wheel well by simply deflating it. Then you obviously need something handy to inflate when required. Tyre bombs or a simple hand pump will work in a pinch.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng