Author Topic: Another "mom" car owner  (Read 245 times)

September 02, 2017, 05:24:51 PM
Read 245 times

FuzzyFozzie

• View Profile
Greetings,

I've owned a thirdhand 2007 Forester 2.5XT (manual transmission) for nearing a year now I think. I also bought a Tactrix OP2 cable a few months later to flash away the secondary air injection system faults.

I'm located in PE, and if anyone could point me to a replacement intercooler Y-pipe, I'd be most appreciative. I need to remove the intercooler again to measure up for getting blanking plates laser cut for the secondary air injection, and the stock pipe is an enormous pain to deal with in it's current state.

My issues have otherwise been limited to a screeching V-belt, and that ghastly HID headlight leak, mainly as I am still trying to find butyl rubber tape/cord in this area.  :o

My to do list other than the above is fitting an aux input to the radio, and I'd like to replace the cabin air filter.

Mine is a golden-type colour, so it is very mom-car-ish, except that... it's a turbo Subaru.

September 02, 2017, 09:56:24 PM
Reply #1

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Greetings,

I've owned a thirdhand 2007 Forester 2.5XT (manual transmission) for nearing a year now I think. I also bought a Tactrix OP2 cable a few months later to flash away the secondary air injection system faults.

I'm located in PE, and if anyone could point me to a replacement intercooler Y-pipe, I'd be most appreciative. I need to remove the intercooler again to measure up for getting blanking plates laser cut for the secondary air injection, and the stock pipe is an enormous pain to deal with in it's current state.

My issues have otherwise been limited to a screeching V-belt, and that ghastly HID headlight leak, mainly as I am still trying to find butyl rubber tape/cord in this area.  :o

My to do list other than the above is fitting an aux input to the radio, and I'd like to replace the cabin air filter.

Mine is a golden-type colour, so it is very mom-car-ish, except that... it's a turbo Subaru.

mom & fuzzy shouldn't be used in the same post. Not when people(yes me too) think in pictures.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

With that out of the way:
The Butyl tape you r looking for, is that the sticky black "putty" you refer to? Very sticky sh*t, but very good. Used on Cooling towers/ high pressure HVAC duct joints, car door plastic liners, ...................

I can try to find out where we purchased it at work for some jobs we had, but it's prob the same that BAC cooling towers use in their assemblies.

Cabin air filter: I "refurbished" mine with an HVAC filter medium, that was pleated in such a way to give a bigger free sq-m.
I cut the old old paper out, and glued the "new" one in it's palce by means of "no moe nails" or similar thick acrylic glue.....
You could also use a PU type glue (Gorilla.....), but at a higher cost. The final looks are not important, as long as it functions properly.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

September 04, 2017, 11:03:06 AM
Reply #2

FuzzyFozzie

• View Profile
mom & fuzzy shouldn't be used in the same post. Not when people(yes me too) think in pictures.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well now you can picture a long, dark haired, bearded, and fairly hairy male instead. ;P

The Butyl tape you r looking for, is that the sticky black "putty" you refer to? Very sticky sh*t, but very good. Used on Cooling towers/ high pressure HVAC duct joints, car door plastic liners, ...................

I can try to find out where we purchased it at work for some jobs we had, but it's prob the same that BAC cooling towers use in their assemblies.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll be sorted now, finally just emailed local manufacturers, and ButylSeal.co.za is helping me out, www.butech.co.za mention on their website that they sell single rolls, but I missed that previously.

Cabin air filter: I "refurbished" mine with an HVAC filter medium, that was pleated in such a way to give a bigger free sq-m.
I cut the old old paper out, and glued the "new" one in it's palce by means of "no moe nails" or similar thick acrylic glue.....
You could also use a PU type glue (Gorilla.....), but at a higher cost. The final looks are not important, as long as it functions properly.

Completely agreed, I haven't even looked at where to remove mine from just yet, might go with the refurbishing depending on cost/availability of filtering material, I like the idea of more surface area.

Now to find a Y-pipe  :-\