Author Topic: Forester SH timing belt kit and water pump.  (Read 698 times)

September 07, 2017, 10:45:15 AM
Read 698 times

Wynandd

• View Profile
    • Email
Could anybody please recommend a reliable supplier, other than Subaru dealers, of these (seemingly, rocking horse crap, made of gold) items in South Africa? I'm almost 100% sure I've read somewhere on this very forum, that Alert Engine Parts, stocked these. Just spoke to two different branches and it's as if I was asking for a flux capacitor for a 1982 De Lorean... computer says "no"! N They get to the point where it lists EJ engine, 169kW and that's where their computer's knowledge ends...

Problem is, I'm sitting in Qatar, the car is in Kimberley at a workshop, so I'm not really able to do much searching for parts, other than the internet and the odd phone call....

In Kimberley, the word Subaru is not commonly heard, with the parts salesmen giving the all too well known whistle and "nee meneer, daai goed kry jy net by die dealers..." when asked!
Some assistance would be highly valued!
Ex - 2007 Subaru Forester XS
Ex - 2008 Subaru Forester XT
Current - 2010 Subaru Forester XT

September 07, 2017, 10:55:01 AM
Reply #1

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Wynandd, assuming you do not have time to source from Rock Auto or E-Bay?

I know a friend who has bought from a certain Midas in Springs, but it's a bit hit and run as to getting the correct kit for a specific motor.

I've bought a gasket kit from Alert for a XT motor, turned out it was for a NA.

2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

September 07, 2017, 11:14:21 AM
Reply #2

Wynandd

• View Profile
    • Email
Wynandd, assuming you do not have time to source from Rock Auto or E-Bay?

I know a friend who has bought from a certain Midas in Springs, but it's a bit hit and run as to getting the correct kit for a specific motor.

I've bought a gasket kit from Alert for a XT motor, turned out it was for a NA.

I've given the car to my dad to use and him and my brother own a workshop in Kimberley. The car is not quite on 200K km yet, so I do have a little time. Do you know what thime it takes to get the kit from Rockauto? Which would be the correct/best one to get, should I decide on RA?

September 07, 2017, 03:38:41 PM
Reply #3

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Rock Auto uses mostly USPS if I recall correctly. About two to four weeks depending on the option. Faster would be to send it to a forwarding company like Shipito, then you can use Aramex.

Go and scratch around on their site, they show the options and shipping cost if you add to a cart. Which kit I would not be sure, go and see what looks most feasible?

2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

September 07, 2017, 04:18:54 PM
Reply #4

Wynandd

• View Profile
    • Email
Rock Auto uses mostly USPS if I recall correctly. About two to four weeks depending on the option. Faster would be to send it to a forwarding company like Shipito, then you can use Aramex.

Go and scratch around on their site, they show the options and shipping cost if you add to a cart. Which kit I would not be sure, go and see what looks most feasible?
Thanks, I've placed an order. They say 8 - 15 days, so let's see... Also got plugs at a good price $8.50 each for NGK Iridium!

September 07, 2017, 09:54:21 PM
Reply #5

Speedy

• View Profile
    • Email
 Nice, I bought my kit for the exact same car, ordered off RA using FedEx on the 9th Jan and it was in my hands on the 16th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

September 07, 2017, 10:44:07 PM
Reply #6

Wynandd

• View Profile
    • Email
I paid more than 100% less for the parts, including postage, than was quoted to me by Subaru parts. Is there really such a vast difference in quality, that they have to absolutely rip us off like that? There surely cannot be much of a difference between Gates, or NGK and the OEM branded equivalent to justify this extortion?

September 08, 2017, 08:20:30 AM
Reply #7

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Generally the Subaru OEM stuff is of a very high quality, but in most cases it's the same thing in a different package.

The Gates stuff is as good as anything.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng