Author Topic: lifting suspension for 2003 forester  (Read 719 times)

September 10, 2017, 10:32:45 AM
Read 719 times

Plons007

• View Profile
hi guys

recently baught a 2003 2.5l Forester , doing a couple of mmods on it , was wondering if anyone knows someone who will be able to lift the suspension for me and more or less costs involved , very impressed by the car this far , best car I ever driven.

September 10, 2017, 09:06:37 PM
Reply #1

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Plons007

Are you an underwater spy? Plons(plunge) 007(James Bond)

;D ;D ;D

Lifting, is usually a DIY job, or done where you have your shocks done.
You'll probably need the following spanners/sockets:
12, 14,19, 22, 24
Also Allenkeys for removing the Anti Sway bar end-links.
You will need a decent power bar, to undo the bolts at the bottom of the rear struts.

Take care with the ABS wires.

You do need car stand(s). Do not work with a jack holding the car up.

There may be other ways, but I removed the old top-mount bolts from the struts (by moering them out with a hammer (protect the thread with a nut), and then I inserted the longer bolts, and tackwelded them to the top-mount plates.
No, you don't get longer pressbolts, I have tried.

Set aside 1 day for it, and then get alignment done afterwards.

Lift kit (25mm), can be obtained from LSS (LoopSoosStroop) on this forum.
There may be others.

Good luck, and have fun.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

September 11, 2017, 08:36:24 AM
Reply #2

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Hi Plons

I make 25 mm lift kits for Foresters, and they are straight forward to install.  Anyone who can change the shocks on a Forester can install a lift kit.

PM for details on price etc.

2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

September 11, 2017, 03:06:43 PM
Reply #3

Plons007

• View Profile
thank for all the info guys , will get is touch with lss , seems legit lol , thanx to u to burndp , looking forward to get more active on the forum.

September 11, 2017, 04:55:03 PM
Reply #4

Fozxt-zn

• View Profile
an easier way to remove press studs is with a socket and a c clamp, no change of damaging anything ig you miss with the hammer!  also no need to tack weld, just use a bit of duct tape to hold it in place and remove once the nut is on.

also be aware with an old car the bolts are going to be difficult to get out, which means its also easy to strip threads and round bolts, if you have to cut the bolts off you will battle to find the correct rated replacements and if you cant, the agents will have to order them from japan which means your car will be out of action.

September 12, 2017, 09:29:57 AM
Reply #5

Dene

• Personal Text
    Just do it.
    • View Profile
    • Email
The problem with taping the bolts in position is that it is a mission to get to the bolt heads once the shocks are back in which makes tightening and loosening them a mission. Best to tack them in place.
Just had mine done, 20 mm front and back. Three of us took just under 2 hours from start to finish, helps when you have friends who have done it a few times  ;D.
I also have 215/65/16's on, which fill the wheel arches nicely, with the bigger tires the lift is not that apparent though.

[attachment deleted by admin]

September 12, 2017, 01:38:30 PM
Reply #6

Plons007

• View Profile
well guys to put crudely I'm looking for someone to do it for me , for a price obviously , trying to get hold of lss but no luck on pm yet , if anyone know of someone that might be able to help throw me a WhatsApp 0646813424

September 13, 2017, 08:58:12 AM
Reply #7

Fozxt-zn

• View Profile
if you are replacing the springs/struts at the same time whoever is doing it for you can put the spacers in at the same time.

December 05, 2017, 06:57:24 PM
Reply #8

ScoobyDoo

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi guys!
I am new to this forum. Maybe LoopSoosStroop can shed some light here.
I am looking to fit a 3"( 75mm) in the rear and 2.5" (63.5mm) in front lift kits respectively, similar to the SubieLift Kit available in Australia. Does anyone produce such a kit locally?

December 05, 2017, 11:40:24 PM
Reply #9

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi ScoobyDoo,
Welcome here.

As far as that lift goes, that's quite a lift. You'll have to get longer driveshafts, and probably some suspension bushes. Also special bolts/bushes for the rear suspension, to correct the castor(I think that is it) angle at the back.

Why would you want such a lift anyway? just out of intrest.

I think Steve0( and probably some others?) on this forum has done a 2" lift.

I have a 1" lift, and 215/65/16 tires, with no other suspension "mods".
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

December 06, 2017, 09:20:48 AM
Reply #10

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Scoobydoo, here is a summary for a 50 mm lift:

- Driveshafts are fine, the in-out running length tolerance are quite generous.
- You will need to extend rear lateral links and put spacers under the trailing arm mounts, to center the wheel in the arc and correct the rear camber. Front is generally fine with the OEM camber bolts, the geometry is more forgiving.
- You will need to extend or get longer sway bar end links, front and back.

For 75 mm, the driveshafts and rear suspension will be fine with mods, but front will start to be a problem, as there is no easy way to correct camber and get the wheel back out in the arch.

My previous SG had 65 mm rear and 50 mm front lift. I'm busy doing my current one with 50 rear, 40 mm front. I already have 215/70R16 tyres, so I'll end up with between 60 and 70 mm more clearance under the diffs from stock.

2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

December 12, 2017, 05:15:58 PM
Reply #11

ScoobyDoo

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks for the reply. All understood. Can you supply such a kit, and if so what are the cost? Please feel free to email me at:
topcraneop@gmail.com

December 13, 2017, 12:35:52 PM
Reply #12

ScoobyDoo

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi berndp,

I want the lift for various reasons, one of which being ground clearance, fit bigger wheels, and looks. The lift is based on the Subielift kit made in Australia. To get the kit here will cost about R9k. No modifications needed when fitting the Subilift kit.
I am merely trying to source it / have it made locally. If i am unable to, i will probably order the kit from Aus.

[attachment deleted by admin]

December 13, 2017, 12:55:33 PM
Reply #13

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
ScoobyDoo, remember that a strut lift and even a body lift does not allow you to fit bigger tyres on a Foz. You will need to increase the distance between spring perches and hubs, which is pretty hard to do.

Based on my comments above, what amount of lift are you looking for?

2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

December 19, 2017, 10:36:40 AM
Reply #14

dreamerza

• View Profile
    • Email
Drop wheel size to get fatter rubber. If you got the small rotors you should be able to clear subaru 15" wheels and get some nice thick rubber without hitting perch.

Or get coilovers with spacers and remove the perch issue completely, my only concern with that would be longevity when doing offroady stuff.
SG9 XT 
LSS Sump Guard
LSS Diff Guard
WRX 4 Pots
3"Turbo Back from A.C.E Performance
PSPerformance Tuned
Romic Motors Maintained
Willing to get muddy!