Author Topic: Condensation/water in SH Headlight?  (Read 420 times)

October 20, 2017, 09:17:55 AM
Read 420 times

BiG DoM

• View Profile
    • Email
What is the fix? I recall comments about the possibility of it contributing to HID failure? It is only the one headlight affected.

October 20, 2017, 12:19:09 PM
Reply #1

Fozxt-zn

• View Profile
put it in the oven and split it, remove all the old sealant and put new sealant and stick together again, also check the seal on the  hid controller as they can perish over time

October 20, 2017, 04:25:19 PM
Reply #2

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
Damp or water causes the ballast to short out and the globe blows.
Only solution is to split, clean, remove old sealer, put more sealer (butyl rubber) and close up. But you must dry the ballast for a while. Most of the ones I have done have actually been ok.
Globes you can get from AliExpress for a 1/5 of the price of one from Subaru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forester XT 2008 MT
VF48, STi IC, 76mm Bell mouth TNT Free flow, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Chett Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.0

October 21, 2017, 06:05:54 PM
Reply #3

BiG DoM

• View Profile
    • Email
Can I heat it with a hot airgun on the seal rather than oven? Oven seems a bit scary! Will silicone work as a sealant or what is the butyl rubber cement (brand name). I have bought HID globes from these guys very reasonably and last very well.
http://www.violetelectronics.co.za/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=107&category_id=41&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

October 22, 2017, 04:14:31 PM
Reply #4

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
BiG DoM you can leave them out in the summer sun and use a hair dryer if it is stubborn.
I would not use silicon as you will never split them again.
Butyl from a company in a Strydom park.
You can google the name. It escapes me at the moment.

Forester XT 2008 MT
VF48, STi IC, 76mm Bell mouth TNT Free flow, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Chett Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.0

October 22, 2017, 04:18:59 PM
Reply #5

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
The trouble with the ones from Violet is there is no shied on top of the lens and you will end up blinding the incoming traffic.

http://s.aliexpress.com/MnQ7naMb

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 04:21:32 PM by FozzieDriver »
Forester XT 2008 MT

October 24, 2017, 10:17:03 AM
Reply #6

Fozxt-zn

• View Profile
oven is easier, just put it on low heat, heat gun is directional so while you are heating up the top the bottom gets cold, and to keep it warm you then try and make it hotter which will end up causing damage to the plastic and lenses, while oven may seem scary it is actually the safest and easiest way.

October 24, 2017, 11:03:51 AM
Reply #7

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Can I heat it with a hot airgun on the seal rather than oven? Oven seems a bit scary! Will silicone work as a sealant or what is the butyl rubber cement (brand name). I have bought HID globes from these guys very reasonably and last very well.
http://www.violetelectronics.co.za/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=107&category_id=41&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

Hot air gun, although more localized, is extreme heat. Be very carefull. Use hairdrier or oven, as this is much "softer" heat.

Silcone is kak (parden my french).

That Bytul rubber is like a "prestik" type, it does not cure or set..... but sticks like sh-t.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

October 25, 2017, 05:40:39 AM
Reply #8

BiG DoM

• View Profile
    • Email