Author Topic: Steering rack 2004 Fozzie  (Read 278 times)

October 28, 2017, 06:48:18 PM
Read 278 times

Leebow

• View Profile
Hi All

I'm looking to get my 2004 Fozzie steering rack serviced/reconditioned as there is a lot of play in it. Anyone know where I can get this done without taking out a 2nd mortgage?

TIA

October 29, 2017, 09:45:00 AM
Reply #1

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
Have you tried contacting Wayne Hay in Johannesburg?
What are are you in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forester XT 2008 MT
VF48, STi IC, 76mm Bell mouth TNT Free flow, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Chett Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.0

October 29, 2017, 08:34:57 PM
Reply #2

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Skip the second mortgage. Take the 4th, pay me up front, send the car, and say bye-bye.

:D :D

It is a DIY job, although not done by myself yet, as far as the tie rods go. The rest I've done.
Replace the steering rack tie rods, and rod ends (ball joints), and do the lower control arm ball joints while you're at it. If possible, do the lower control arm rear bush (try to get a PU filled), and also the ASW links and bushes. It's all in a days's job, and not so difficult.

Do alignment afterwards !

To get the rack serviced...., it needs to come out, and that seems to be quite a job.

I think these are all available as aftermarket spares, i.e Midas, Good Spares Shop Around The Corner,..................
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

October 30, 2017, 06:32:53 PM
Reply #3

Leebow

• View Profile
Thanks @berndp, @FozzieDriver - will do the tie-rod ends to start and see if this sorts it out (I think it might be one of the inner ones).

As far as play in the steering box goes, I've looked at the service manual and there is an adjustment screw for steering backlash (this would be a last resort before actually removing the whole rack).

BTW - I have the 2004 Forester Service Manual in pdf format if anyone is looking for it.

October 31, 2017, 07:21:34 AM
Reply #4

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
I've also noticed that screw, and thought it could help, although my previous (ex Subaru) mech told me there is no adjustment.

When you do the ends, do both parts, the rack end rod and the rod end. It's one job, one alignment,.....

The manual: I had posted links some time ago, and Steve posted a better one, where the links in the pdf doc actually work.
Thanks anyway. The manual does help a lot.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape