Author Topic: Wasted tires  (Read 632 times)

November 07, 2017, 09:12:35 AM
Read 632 times

HJfoz

• View Profile
    • Email
Recently got a puncture and due to the AWD issue I hyave to throw away three decent tires.

What do forrester owners normally do in this context.
Anyone near durban want some decent G900 in 16 inch?
KZN

November 07, 2017, 09:52:00 AM
Reply #1

thebus

• View Profile
    • Email
Just get the same size tire and put it on. Wont hurt the car.
Cape Town

November 07, 2017, 12:49:56 PM
Reply #2

sav

• View Profile
Care to elaborate?
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

November 07, 2017, 02:17:03 PM
Reply #3

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
Recently got a puncture and due to the AWD issue I hyave to throw away three decent tires.

What do forrester owners normally do in this context.
Anyone near durban want some decent G900 in 16 inch?
What car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forester XT 2008 MT
VF48, STi IC, 76mm Bell mouth TNT Free flow, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Chett Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.0

November 07, 2017, 05:47:04 PM
Reply #4

stefmau

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm certainly far from an expert on this, but I believe that the newer Foresters have an open centre diff, so there is a small tolerance for wear between front and back.
I'd still be cautious though having wasted tyres on one end  and new ones other side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:49:06 PM by stefmau »

November 08, 2017, 07:42:46 AM
Reply #5

HJfoz

• View Profile
    • Email
Second generation Forrester XS

KZN

November 08, 2017, 12:35:14 PM
Reply #6

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
I would think it is more critical to have front samesame and rear samesame. That way the diffs will be happy, with the centre diff having to do a bit of work.

Think about it: if you have all your tires at spec. pressure, and you load your dog and kids in the back. The car is not "loaded" yet. The rear tires will compress a bit, causing a slight difference in the bottom 1/2(the part that matters) of the tire diameter. So how is this different to a slightly worn tire?

I do agree(insist) that the tires should have similar thread types (i.e AT), and be of same size (i.e 215/65/16)

Diffs are not designed to only do their work for a small portion of driving time.

That was my 2c's
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

November 08, 2017, 12:44:08 PM
Reply #7

sav

• View Profile
I would think it is more critical to have front samesame and rear samesame. That way the diffs will be happy, with the centre diff having to do a bit of work.

Think about it: if you have all your tires at spec. pressure, and you load your dog and kids in the back. The car is not "loaded" yet. The rear tires will compress a bit, causing a slight difference in the bottom 1/2(the part that matters) of the tire diameter. So how is this different to a slightly worn tire?

I do agree(insist) that the tires should have similar thread types (i.e AT), and be of same size (i.e 215/65/16)

Diffs are not designed to only do their work for a small portion of driving time.

That was my 2c's
So now you've got got a different sized tyre, plus you're compressing it which I'm assuming is where the problem would come in. I'm sure they've compensated for a small variance but now you're pushing it past the threshold.

2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

November 09, 2017, 08:39:46 AM
Reply #8

Garrsie

• View Profile
    • Email

Surely the only thing that really matters here is that the tyres are all at the same level of wear, pressure and type. The circumference of the tyre will not change no matter how much you load it i.e. squash the bottom and the top balloons, keeping the overall circumference the same whilst the diameter varies. The diff busting factor will be if one tyre "travels" further/shorter per revolution because of different circumference, forcing the diffs to do extra work. If the fronts and back's circumferences are different then the centre diff will have to make up the difference in distance travelled, inducing heat and wear.

My 2c, keep them as similar as possible and swap front to back every 10000km to keep wear consistent. Don't buy one tyre unless it dies as you are leaving the fitment place. Buy two if you have done less than 2-3000km (might be overkill here) on that set and one goes, placing the new tyres at the front to bring the wear in line with the rears.
2006 Forester XT, Wiseco pistons, 18"A-line Racer wheels, Bridgestone re002, VF48, '07 STi IC, 76mm exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Mishimoto inlet pipe, Phenolic intake spacers, Gizmo Electronic Boost Controller, TGV deletes. BC RA Coilovers, Brembo big Calipers, PB RS 326mm Discs, Coolboost WMI

November 14, 2017, 02:55:14 PM
Reply #9

thebus

• View Profile
    • Email
Care to elaborate?

If you have 215\60\16 then get a tire the same size.
Lets say your tires are 80% worn and you get a flat, will you not drive your car the the fresh new spare wheel?
Cape Town

November 14, 2017, 03:19:01 PM
Reply #10

sav

• View Profile
To the nearest tyre shop, yes.

November 14, 2017, 06:24:59 PM
Reply #11

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
And the moment you turn your steering wheel there is a difference between the left and right wheels as well.
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

November 21, 2017, 03:43:15 PM
Reply #12

sav

• View Profile
And the moment you turn your steering wheel there is a difference between the left and right wheels as well.
How do tyres change size when turning the steering wheel?

November 21, 2017, 04:28:43 PM
Reply #13

PaulR

• View Profile
I'm in the tyre game and I would also like to know how that happens....
Ex 2007 SG9 XS AT

November 22, 2017, 09:37:28 AM
Reply #14

sav

• View Profile
I guess we'll never know... :o