Author Topic: EJ25 Rebulild vs. Import Replacement?  (Read 1030 times)

November 30, 2017, 11:00:40 PM
Read 1030 times

ScoobyFozz

• View Profile
Hi Everyone. I'm new to the forum and would like some advice please.
I've got a tiny rod knock that has been developing for some time now. I'm at the point of pulling the motor to rebuild it, or just buy an import motor? If I go the rebuild route, where can I get decent engine parts, rings, bearings, centre seal kit, cambelt kit, oil pump, potentially one size oversized pistons, etc. I'm in Port Elizabeth and limited to O.E. from the dealer here (who actually give top notch service) but don't want to break the bank.
Engine mileage 197000km, '06 2.5XS.
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.  ;)

December 01, 2017, 06:17:16 AM
Reply #1

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
First off, have you priced an import? A rebuild including bearings and timing kit will cost R30k? OEM is usually available with a three week waiting period or so.
Only drawback for the import is one has no idea what happened to the motor, condition of rings, bearings, valves etc. no piece of mind. And if it costs the same I would go rebuild. If it is significantly less I would import as it is not a turbo model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forester XT 2008 MT
TD04, STi IC, 76mm DP, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Intent Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.5

December 01, 2017, 06:51:51 AM
Reply #2

ScoobyFozz

• View Profile
Hi FozzieDriver
Thanks for the quick response. Yes I have. An import motor is about R13k but again as you've said, no idea of service history, condition of internals etc. I would also prefer a rebuild to be honest but don't have contacts to price & source internals to make that decision. Any contact suggestions?
FYI: Turbo import EJ20 is R20k.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

December 01, 2017, 08:05:10 AM
Reply #3

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
I had the same choice and at the end I rebuilt mine. Parts from E-bay and Rockauto, and the local engineering at Welle Engineering in Randburg.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

December 01, 2017, 09:34:24 AM
Reply #4

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
I would rebuild. There is no real way to tell the condition of an import motor.

The only really expensive thing is the gasket set which was about R7k incl a year or so ago. If you don't need pistons or anything else majorly expensive the overall cost should be around 20k, including new rings. The benefit is that at near 200k km, you can also do your timing belt, which works its way into the cost too and makes your rebuilt worth it even more now.

Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

December 04, 2017, 04:19:58 PM
Reply #5

ScoobyFozz

• View Profile
I had the same choice and at the end I rebuilt mine. Parts from E-bay and Rockauto, and the local engineering at Welle Engineering in Randburg.
Thanks guys, I'll be in touch and update on the progress. Until then, have a blessed Christmas!

December 10, 2017, 12:16:55 PM
Reply #6

RajVig

• View Profile
Order all the oem parts you need from rockauto, Will be shipped to you within a week.

March 03, 2018, 09:42:49 PM
Reply #7

ScoobyFozz

• View Profile
Hi All.

The rebuild has begun. Doing a TGV delete at the same time. (Pics attached). I should maybe have checked that I can deactivate all TGV error codes & re-flash the ecu before the delete. Oh well, now I'll have to make a plan. ;-) Romraider?

Managed to source everything locally. If I did need oversized pistons, I would've just ordered everything from eBay or Rockauto. I'm getting the heads back this coming week. Lots of cleaning now, and then assembly soon! Can't wait!

March 05, 2018, 08:08:26 AM
Reply #8

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

March 05, 2018, 10:18:55 PM
Reply #9

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
Romraider and Tactrix cable yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forester XT 2008 MT
TD04, STi IC, 76mm DP, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Intent Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.5