Author Topic: Replacement radio on 2004 XSel  (Read 436 times)

December 18, 2017, 01:27:14 PM
Read 436 times

ScoobyDoo

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi,
Does anyone know what size Double Din radio i need to purchase to replace my OEM unit?

December 19, 2017, 09:05:43 AM
Reply #1

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

September 21, 2018, 08:03:39 PM
Reply #2

thenoizeguy

• View Profile
Double DIN is double DIN. Any will fit. The brackets from the OEM will screw straight onto your new deck. Easy job. Just get a prying tool to take off the trim properly. A screwdriver will damage it, especially at the top by the vents and hazard switch.

October 06, 2018, 07:50:55 AM
Reply #3

Theo

• View Profile
    • Email
Not all 2 Dins will fit. Some are slightly bigger than the Subaru opening. If you can take the radio surround along to the shop and test fit.
My brother ended up having to mount his radio behind the surround,which is not ideal on a touch screen with small buttons on the edges. It was a cheap unit though.
07 Forester XT Premium manual, VF43, Chett Tuned
Ex 08 Legacy 2.5GT B manual.
Ex 04 Forester XT manual.
Ex 03 Forester Xel 2.5 manual.

October 07, 2018, 10:00:34 PM
Reply #4

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Double DIN is double DIN. Any will fit. The brackets from the OEM will screw straight onto your new deck. Easy job. Just get a prying tool to take off the trim properly. A screwdriver will damage it, especially at the top by the vents and hazard switch.

I have not ventured into installing an aftermarket 2-Din radio in my SG, although I am very tempted..

But, @thenoizeguy, the 2-Din radio "box" might be standard, the SG's facia space is quite a bit smaller than the std 2-Din facia.
There are quite a few write-ups/videos available of guys who have done it...
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape