Author Topic: SJ Forester impressions  (Read 406 times)

January 08, 2018, 12:21:57 PM
Read 406 times

thebus

• View Profile
    • Email
I went to the dealership to have a look at some of the Forester offerings and ended up actually liking the SJ.

I am most impressed with the 2.5 x due to price point, the XT, XS and XS premium are out of my budget and too be honest, lots of expensive elctronics that I dont like or need. lights that turn with you?
Pity they only come in Auto, but thats something im sure will grow on me in no time.
Towing capacity is a tad low for this vehicle.
So much better in person than in pictures.

I am looking at second hand but there dont seem to be any with high mileage yet so "issues" are unknown, highest Ive seen is a mere 130K km but will be looking for mileage between 50K and 120K km.

What are your thoughts?
Cape Town

January 08, 2018, 01:02:55 PM
Reply #1

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
I drove 3 km in a SJ XT. Fantastic car, but with my budget I would not want to live with one.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

January 08, 2018, 01:27:40 PM
Reply #2

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi LSS.
The fuel consumption should be about the same as yours I presume.
But tyres and replacement parts once you are out of  Maintenance Plan could be problematic.  :-X
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

January 09, 2018, 08:11:51 AM
Reply #3

thebus

• View Profile
    • Email
But tyres and replacement parts once you are out of  Maintenance Plan could be problematic.  :-X

This is what scares me.
I am actually looking for one that will have one more service at subaru and then Can take it to an Indy. I find independents are more accomodating and you have a choice of products. e.g. you can supply your own oils or brake pads or parts.

Are replacement parts scarce or just expensive...and would this be an issue on a new subaru\car?
Cape Town

January 09, 2018, 09:29:29 AM
Reply #4

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Personally, I'm sceptic about the CVT box and replacement/repair cost thereof. With a Subaru manual or torque converter box you know where stand, and on the old ones replacement units are easy to find.

They don't sell enough of these for there to be much of a secondhand parts market in 5-10 years from now. 
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng