Author Topic: To buy or not to buy. Need some help with purchasing my first Subaru  (Read 190 times)

January 08, 2018, 01:47:32 PM
Read 190 times

shahied

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello Forester peoples
Im looking to purchase a 2006 Forester 2.5XT A/T  with 217K on the clock. (gumtree, R70K)
I have a few questions if someone wouldn't mind having a go at!

Is it worthwhile?
I would like to use it as a daily driver as well as off-roading when i go fishing / surfing
Is it expensive to maintain?
what do i look for (i read the "what to look for" thread already)
Who would be the best people to service other than dealers?
what can i expect on fuel economy for daily commute in traffic?

I am waiting for my insurance to pay out after having my Seat Altea written off  :'(

January 09, 2018, 07:16:45 AM
Reply #1

Garrsie

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Shahied,

My take on your questions:

Is it worthwhile?
I love my 2006 XT SportShift. As you can see from my mods list, I've done a fair bit of work on it. WRT worthwhile, R70k seems a decent price but that all depends on what you have left in the bank and what condition the car is in. I had mine about 5 months and the head gaskets went. Since then (excluding a couple of turbos that went) it's been fairly rock solid. As long as you realise that it's a 10 year old car and is going to need constant maintenance and are prepared for that, you're golden.

I would like to use it as a daily driver as well as off-roading when i go fishing / surfing
Mine is a daily and very good at it. Most of my mileage is highway though. The other chaps here love the off road abilities but I've gone more track orientated.

Is it expensive to maintain?
Not if you are handy with a spanner and use the different forums to get parts. EBay and Amazon are your best friend and you'll get parts cheaper off there. Bear in mind that Subaru South Africa (SSA) often don't have stock of many things and if they have to come in from Japan, it's a 3-4 weeks wait. Thus eBay and Amazon (and RockAuto but I've never used them) are a good bet.

what do i look for (i read the "what to look for" thread already)
See if you can get a head gasket test at Silverton Radiators before you buy. Some places do it for free, others charge a couple hundred. A leak down test would be a good test too. Otherwise your normal stuff like suspension bushes, CV boots, fluid on the steering rack etc etc.

Who would be the best people to service other than dealers?
Depends where you are but frankly, the servicing is easy (apart from spark plugs). If you can hold a spanner and have a couple hundred bucks for an oil filter wrench, you're fine for the servicing. For plugs, there are videos out there to show you the tricks to get them out. If you're in JHB area, I've used Wayne Hay Performance (CatInHat on this forum) and he's good. Many of us use his place in Randburg.

what can i expect on fuel economy for daily commute in traffic?
If fuel economy is a huge deal breaker for you, you're out of luck with the XT. On highway, I'll get about 450-500kms off a tank but that drops significantly in traffic of course. Average traffic, I'll get about 320-400kms off a tank. A tune can do wonders though if economy is your aim but then perhaps another non-turbo model would suit your needs more. BUT...the XT is a hoot once you fiddle with it a little. BUT...beware! Modding my car has been like Pringles, once you start, you can't stop!

Hope that helps a bit.
2006 Forester XT, Wiseco pistons, 18"A-line Racer wheels, Bridgestone re002, VF48, '07 STi IC, 76mm exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Mishimoto inlet pipe, Phenolic intake spacers, Gizmo Electronic Boost Controller, TGV deletes. BC RA Coilovers, Brembo big Calipers, PB RS 326mm Discs, Coolboost WMI

January 09, 2018, 09:36:33 AM
Reply #2

shahied

• View Profile
    • Email
Ah, thank you for your concise and prompt reply, it's appreciated. Once my monies are paid out i will start shopping in earnest.
Regards
Shahied

January 09, 2018, 02:20:38 PM
Reply #3

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Also be aware they have this habit of creeping into your heart :p

When you go check ask when and if the radiator was replaced.

That is one of the weaker points in that the stock radiators has a plastic top and bottom that can crack over time.

If it has been replaced then it could be with the stock one or with a proper one that has metal top and bottom

2007 2.5XT Manual (and boy did I have to search for manual one)

January 09, 2018, 02:30:12 PM
Reply #4

shahied

• View Profile
    • Email
Im hoping to view it again over the weekend. there are actually two Subaru's on Gumtree... the 07 XT and an outback, both <R80k

January 10, 2018, 07:16:28 AM
Reply #5

thebus

• View Profile
    • Email
Where you based? Might be worthwhile to let us know and then a forum member may be able to go with you and look.
Cape Town

January 10, 2018, 09:28:44 AM
Reply #6

shahied

• View Profile
    • Email
Im in Cape Town. Both the cars are on Gumtree. The white XT '07 is in Noordhoek and the other one is a dealer.
Let me have a drive first, i will shout once im ready to make a decision.
thank you!

January 11, 2018, 10:28:59 AM
Reply #7

dreamerza

• View Profile
    • Email
Biggest issue i had on mine was the secondary air pump and the related valves, fortunately dealer i purchased from paid for it all but it conked out again and eventually I just got it disabled by my tuner after disconnecting it.

And if its an SG FL prepare for leaky headlights  :-[

SG9 XT 
LSS Sump Guard
LSS Diff Guard
WRX 4 Pots
3"Turbo Back from A.C.E Performance
PSPerformance Tuned
Romic Motors Maintained
Willing to get muddy!