Author Topic: Replace Subaru with what??  (Read 2552 times)

January 24, 2018, 11:21:17 AM
Read 2552 times

Bravofox

• Just another Member

• View Profile
    • Email
I am still enjoying my 2015 3.6 Outback. It only has 39000 kilos on the clock, but the warranty/maintenance plan expires in April. It is the time when one sits and reflects if you take the risk with out-of-warranty ownership on a modern vehicle, or get something else.

I am still a bit sour from the Radio episode which failed on my just outside the 1 year warranty. Fortunately, Subaru SA was nice to assist me with a unit for only R17'000 whereas a new one would have been over R30'000. Out of the 6 Scoobies I have owned, I had 4 with radio failures. The older units were easier to replace with aftermarket, but the modern stuff is not so easy.

The other thing is the shoddy dealership network where I live. It is fun driving once a year to Somerset West where I bought it to get it serviced on my annual holiday, but this year I will not be able to. (Not going to subject my family to the water crisis) So, I will be forced to use Bloemfontein which I am really not looking forward to.

Now, in the past when Kimberley(160km from me) and Bloemfontein(250km from me) still had dealerships (Bloemfontein now only has a service center run by Peugeot) I have become accustomed to dealing with the smaller dealerships and I really hate the larger ones. (I had a bad run-in with Ford in Kimberley with my Ranger's failed Aircon which I do not want to talk about. Ever.) That is why I also still enjoy the service from Subaru Somerset-West.

All other brand dealerships in Kimberley, is also infamous for shoddy service, so I do not look there. And I hate driving to Bloemfontein. Very bad road from here.

What leaves me then is the smaller town of De Aar. They have a Ford, Toyota, Nissan and Renault dealership.

Renault:
No.

Nissan:
Xtrail. Bit on the small side, and not really inspiring performance. (spoiled by XT and 3.6 now)

Ford:
Evererest. Looks really nice and allot like my Ranger. However, not a huge fan of the Bakkie-SUVs due to solid rear-axle not having same comfort as multilink.
Kuga 2.0 Ecoboost. Now, this is by far the most like a Forester XT. However, it is a Kuga and first question on the list is how big Fire extinguisher it comes with.

Toyota:
Fortuner: I like this allot more than the new Hilux. 2.8 is quite economical. 4.0 V6 will be cool, but too thirsty. Toyota's 7 seater arrangement not as elegant as the Everest. Same problem as Everest, with solid rear axle compromising comfort.
Rav4. FWD only, so no.
Prado. YES!! Too expensive...
(Big plus for Toyota, is that they have a contracted Service workshop 45km from me)

Any input from the Forum members?
I was originally planning on having my Outback for at least 5 years, and I still think I will...
2015 Outback 3.6R-S
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Wagon.
-ex -2009 SH XT A/T
-ex- 2009 SG9 XT Premium Manual
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Manual
-ex- 2002 Legacy 2.5GX A/T

January 24, 2018, 11:58:41 AM
Reply #1

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Bravo. I am in the same position. 180 Km from Somerset West and only a Ford and Toyota garage 40 km from me. But then my cousin drives nearly 190 km to get to the Ford garage of his choice.
But luckily a Subaru only has to go for its yearly service at the mileage that I do.   :D.
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

January 24, 2018, 12:23:45 PM
Reply #2

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
I am still enjoying my 2015 3.6 Outback. It only has 39000 kilos on the clock, but the warranty/maintenance plan expires in April. It is the time when one sits and reflects if you take the risk with out-of-warranty ownership on a modern vehicle, or get something else.

I am still a bit sour from the Radio episode which failed on my just outside the 1 year warranty. Fortunately, Subaru SA was nice to assist me with a unit for only R17'000 whereas a new one would have been over R30'000. Out of the 6 Scoobies I have owned, I had 4 with radio failures. The older units were easier to replace with aftermarket, but the modern stuff is not so easy.

The other thing is the shoddy dealership network where I live. It is fun driving once a year to Somerset West where I bought it to get it serviced on my annual holiday, but this year I will not be able to. (Not going to subject my family to the water crisis) So, I will be forced to use Bloemfontein which I am really not looking forward to.

Now, in the past when Kimberley(160km from me) and Bloemfontein(250km from me) still had dealerships (Bloemfontein now only has a service center run by Peugeot) I have become accustomed to dealing with the smaller dealerships and I really hate the larger ones. (I had a bad run-in with Ford in Kimberley with my Ranger's failed Aircon which I do not want to talk about. Ever.) That is why I also still enjoy the service from Subaru Somerset-West.

All other brand dealerships in Kimberley, is also infamous for shoddy service, so I do not look there. And I hate driving to Bloemfontein. Very bad road from here.

What leaves me then is the smaller town of De Aar. They have a Ford, Toyota, Nissan and Renault dealership.

Renault:
No.

Nissan:
Xtrail. Bit on the small side, and not really inspiring performance. (spoiled by XT and 3.6 now)

Ford:
Evererest. Looks really nice and allot like my Ranger. However, not a huge fan of the Bakkie-SUVs due to solid rear-axle not having same comfort as multilink.
Kuga 2.0 Ecoboost. Now, this is by far the most like a Forester XT. However, it is a Kuga and first question on the list is how big Fire extinguisher it comes with.

Toyota:
Fortuner: I like this allot more than the new Hilux. 2.8 is quite economical. 4.0 V6 will be cool, but too thirsty. Toyota's 7 seater arrangement not as elegant as the Everest. Same problem as Everest, with solid rear axle compromising comfort.
Rav4. FWD only, so no.
Prado. YES!! Too expensive...
(Big plus for Toyota, is that they have a contracted Service workshop 45km from me)

Any input from the Forum members?
I was originally planning on having my Outback for at least 5 years, and I still think I will...

It really is difficult situation you are in. If you really want to, get a new OBK 3.6 with extended plan - that solves the next 5 years. If that is not a option, and it was me I would really look at the Everest over the Fortuner, and yes, I have a Fortuner, but not the latest model.

New Fortuner does not match the Everest in design and what you get, personally, I think the Everest is a better vehicle in general - the new one. I am considering getting a Everest now as well. Kuga - nope, no, never, safety risk is too big and it will never give you a feel of a Subaru.

Going the route of a Fortuner or Everest is at least big difference in vehicle compared to a Subaru.

I miss Subaru, but don't have an SUV to compare to Subaru either. Fortuner is a completely different car and can never be compared to a Subaru. Do get the 4x4 though...... 8)

That was/is my way of thinking....... ;D
Mine:
2014 Ford Ranger Double Cab
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

January 24, 2018, 12:46:28 PM
Reply #3

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
Het julle die persvrystelling gesien oor die nuwe takke wat kom? Morne Viviers praat van 6 nuwe handelaars hierdie jaar aldus News24.
Maar ek het vir Morne gevra om te kyk na sentraal Suid Afrika.  ;D.
jbh

January 24, 2018, 01:21:29 PM
Reply #4

thebus

• View Profile
    • Email
2c

Financial: Your car is new and low mileage still so plenty life left before issues arise. You wont get a decent trade in so you lose there. The costs of buying a vehicle adds to this point. Work out the difference of what your vehicle costs you now and say the Everest. Put that money aside for any maintenance. Worst case scenario you looking at R50k for an engine rebuild. It would make sense to keep the car financially.

Warranty: You can buy an extended warranty from any number of places. Not worth the time and effort but if it would give you confidence then go for it. just make sure it bumper to bumper so they cant say certain part isn't covered.

Fun: An Everest will take you further than the outback, but do you go rock crawling? Then the outback is all you need, but you can get goodies for the everest like bumpers, snorkels etc, quite easily.

Safety: They both on PAR with safety.

Reason none of my mates have an Everest: Terrible service from dealership.
Cape Town

January 24, 2018, 02:24:05 PM
Reply #5

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
My kontak antwoord: "Ons moet nou die proses loop. Bloemfontein is vir ons belangrik. En as dit sin maak sal ons in die Noord Kaap ook iets doen."
So reg uit die perd se bek alhoewel nie amptelik nie.

So dalk moet jy nie die huidige tekort aan 'n handelaar in Bloemfontein as 'n permanente struikelblok vir voortgesette eienaarskap sien nie.
jbh

January 25, 2018, 08:56:13 AM
Reply #6

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Bravo, het jy die Mitsubishi Outlander oorweeg?
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

January 27, 2018, 04:31:19 PM
Reply #7

Bravofox

• Just another Member

• View Profile
    • Email
Mitsubishi sou dalk gewerk het as dit nog by Mercedes was (hulle onderdele diens is uitstekend) maar huidiglik, glad nie.
2015 Outback 3.6R-S
-ex -2009 SH XT A/T

January 29, 2018, 02:04:40 PM
Reply #8

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mitsubishi sou dalk gewerk het as dit nog by Mercedes was (hulle onderdele diens is uitstekend) maar huidiglik, glad nie.

ek het ook gehoor die prys van onderdel is nogals rof - dis wat ek gehoor het, ek het gekyk na die Pajeor Sport voor die Fortuner as 'n opsie - ek het toe gesels met eienaar van so kar, hy het genoem kar is briljant ens maar onderhoud is nogals rof.... :o
Mine:
Honda Varadero

Hers:

March 21, 2018, 11:39:10 AM
Reply #9

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Fortuner / Pajero Sport
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

March 21, 2018, 11:40:00 AM
Reply #10

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Pajero is vinniger. As dit saak maak. 

Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

March 22, 2018, 08:39:57 AM
Reply #11

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pajero is vinniger. As dit saak maak.

en baie duurder om te onderhou...... ;D ;D
Mine:
Honda Varadero

Hers:

March 28, 2018, 07:19:23 AM
Reply #12

Bravofox

• Just another Member

• View Profile
    • Email
Wel, nadat ons so bietjie "Window Shopping" gedoen het, het vroulief my mooi laat verstaan die Fortuner, Everest ens. doen dit glad nie vir haar nie, want
"sy hou nie 'n bakkie met 'n SUV se dop op nie" en die goed maak nie sin nie. Sy is natuurlik "mal" oor 'n Prado... Die nuwe 3.6 Outback met eyesight lyk baie yummie, maar ek het weer gister my moer gestrip vir Subaru. Goed wat volgens die "owners Manual" gedoen moet word met die volgende diens, maar Subaru SA s
2015 Outback 3.6R-S
-ex -2009 SH XT A/T

March 28, 2018, 10:21:17 AM
Reply #13

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wel, nadat ons so bietjie "Window Shopping" gedoen het, het vroulief my mooi laat verstaan die Fortuner, Everest ens. doen dit glad nie vir haar nie, want
"sy hou nie 'n bakkie met 'n SUV se dop op nie" en die goed maak nie sin nie. Sy is natuurlik "mal" oor 'n Prado... Die nuwe 3.6 Outback met eyesight lyk baie yummie, maar ek het weer gister my moer gestrip vir Subaru. Goed wat volgens die "owners Manual" gedoen moet word met die volgende diens, maar Subaru SA s

Sterkte Bravo - vrouens maak die nooit maklik nie - gelukkig is myne mal oor die Fortuner, alhoewel ek nog steeds hard kyk na die Everest, maar vir nou teen dit besluit het. kan jy glo die Everest is kleiner as die Fortuner binne, vorige generasie Fortuner. :(

sterkte met Subaru ook!!
Mine:
Honda Varadero

Hers:

March 28, 2018, 11:42:40 AM
Reply #14

Bravofox

• Just another Member

• View Profile
    • Email

Sterkte Bravo - vrouens maak die nooit maklik nie - gelukkig is myne mal oor die Fortuner, alhoewel ek nog steeds hard kyk na die Everest, maar vir nou teen dit besluit het. kan jy glo die Everest is kleiner as die Fortuner binne, vorige generasie Fortuner. :(

sterkte met Subaru ook!!

Ek het maar net gister weer besef ek is klaar met Subaru SA se k@k. Volgens owners manual moet Cab filter eintlik elke jaar vervang word. Hulle se dit moet eers op 60'000km vervang word en as ek dit nou op 45'000km wil vervang moet ek self betaal. Op 30'000km was die ding so vuil dat ek wou katte skiet, maar hulle het dit net uigeblaas en terug gesit. Al hoe ek ooit Subaru weer sal koop is sonder hulle poef Maintenance plan...
2015 Outback 3.6R-S
-ex -2009 SH XT A/T