Author Topic: Hi Beam Pickup - 07 XT  (Read 191 times)

February 07, 2018, 08:13:38 PM
Read 191 times

boxerulez

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey guys

Where is the easiest place to pickup the high beam power to wire up a relay for running lightbar on a 2007 Forester XT.

I know how to wire them but this time I dont want to hack signal for relay from the wires just behind the headlights.

Please help.

Somewhere in engine compartment fuse box would be great.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

February 08, 2018, 10:14:43 AM
Reply #1

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
I fitted a separate switch for my light bar inside of the car, so it does not work with the brights - need to change it though. But think twice before fitting the light bar - lots of bad news currently for light bars on cars, specially if you are planning a trip to Namibia etc. Light bars not allowed on vehicles there and you will get fined.

Thus, i am taking my light bar off the vehicle and fitting two Spotlights!! ;D
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

February 08, 2018, 11:35:14 AM
Reply #2

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
From a legal perspective it is better to fit two led spotlights.
The South African law says that your lights must be an equal distance from the center line of the vehicle. A traffic or police official can thus give you grieve if you have a light bar. (That was the position three years ago. I doubt that it has changed.)
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

February 08, 2018, 11:50:44 AM
Reply #3

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
From a legal perspective it is better to fit two led spotlights.
The South African law says that your lights must be an equal distance from the center line of the vehicle. A traffic or police official can thus give you grieve if you have a light bar. (That was the position three years ago. I doubt that it has changed.)

100% correct, though, SA is not that strict yet with regards to the light bars, going across the border you will definitely find problems and tickets. We are planning a trip to Windhoek later this year, hence my taking off the light bar and fitting two led spots. ;D
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

February 11, 2018, 03:24:48 PM
Reply #4

boxerulez

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks guys.   I am running 2 smaller light bars.  Hella Hawk Bars... Positioned behind the grill running exactly the same distance from centre line of car and below the globe positions in the headlights.

I had these same 2 units fitted to the front of my old e30 for the past 5years at which time I was pulled over and warned about the yellow laminX on my spotlights but no word about the light bars.

Wiring was tricky.  Only way seems direct pickup from splicing the wiring to the high beam globe.

Here is a note.  When car is running there is an intermittent earth signal to the globe to switch between low and high beam and a permanent positive currant.

When car is switched off there is no positive currant on same wire and a permanent Earth signal.

In the end both  +  and -  had to be run from globe power feed.

Will be looking for a pass through harness online to remove my splice.

No plans for Namibia alas.  Just do all my travelling at night.  High beams are only ever used on rural roads.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

February 12, 2018, 01:33:03 PM
Reply #5

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
"Unfortunately" the electronics of Subaru's are relatively sophisticated. I tried to use stronger globes as park lights in my front lights. A buzzer immediately went off and a red light in the instrument cluster came on. Then it shut my park lights off.
After I refitted the correct bulbs I had to reset the electronics by repeatedly locking and unlocking with the button on the key.  8).
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.