Author Topic: 4 Speed Auto XT  (Read 649 times)

February 13, 2018, 05:48:22 PM
Read 649 times

Rudcor1

• View Profile
I have never owned a auto Forester and few interesting characteristics became apparent with my first road trip in my 2011 XT. I would like to hear if these are standard or if I should worry.  The vehicle has done 71000km and all services has been done by the dealers.

Changes are smooth, downshifts abrupt when planting your foot and operation seems fine. 

My question is slip.  When using light throttle at speed and there is only the slightest incline the torque converter starts slipping. It is a constant balancing act on the throttle to get more torque on the road without the box shifting to 3rd while maintaining decent speed or heavy slip taking place. When it downshifts, it goes like a bat out of hell, only to change to fourth and start slipping again. 

It locks up again when you lessen throttle or when you approach higher revs (+- 3500), but this is approaching seriously illegal speeds. It also locks up on very light throttle on a level road.

Is this the norm, or am I just to heavy footed? I would love to use the motors amazing torque without this constant slip.

Your feedback would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 12:59:44 PM by Rudcor1 »
2011 XT Auto

February 13, 2018, 10:22:39 PM
Reply #1

boxerulez

• View Profile
    • Email
Is this not a CVT box?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

February 14, 2018, 08:53:58 AM
Reply #2

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Are your box fluid levels correct?
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

February 14, 2018, 12:40:57 PM
Reply #3

Rudcor1

• View Profile
I will have a look over the weekend, went for a service at the dealer just before delivery, sure they did check it.
2011 XT Auto

February 14, 2018, 01:11:33 PM
Reply #4

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Is this not a CVT box?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

This model does not have a CVT gearbox - only the new generation Foresters have the CVT box - all auto models. the model in discussion has the 4 SPD Auto.
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

February 23, 2018, 07:32:17 AM
Reply #5

Bravofox

• Just another Member

• View Profile
    • Email
I had a 2009 XT Auto and your described behavior sounds normal to me. It sounds that you are set on it must stay in 4th gear with the torque convertor locked. However, the box does not work that way. The Torque convertor is only locked at cruising speed, and whenever more power is required or applied it will unlock into the "slipping" mode. This is to protect the box, as it is not a good idea to apply oodles of power through the drivetrain with the torque convertor locked.
My take is, don't overthink it and just enjoy the ride. That 4 Speed auto as actually a really good match for the power of the XT.
The CVT in my 3.6 Outback works much the same, as it always seems to "downshift" too easily. That is for the same reason to protect the "belt" from handling to much torque in a higher "gear" .
2015 Outback 3.6R-S
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Wagon.
-ex -2009 SH XT A/T
-ex- 2009 SG9 XT Premium Manual
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Manual
-ex- 2002 Legacy 2.5GX A/T

February 26, 2018, 08:58:57 AM
Reply #6

Rudcor1

• View Profile
Thanks for the insight.  I have gotten used to the gearbox, we get along better now.  Have found that keeping it in Sportshift mode helps with it not up shifting to 4th so soon, minimizing the slip.
2011 XT Auto