Author Topic: Diesel leaking into Oil  (Read 188 times)

April 09, 2018, 09:28:13 PM
Read 188 times

Lucky_Joe

• View Profile
I would like to know if anyone with a 2.0 diesel is having a similar problem?

The problem is that I am getting diesel leaking into my engine oil. The DPF filter light starts blinking indicating a dilution of greater than 10% (bad). This is now happening every 1000Ks where upon I need to get my oil changed. So every time I fill my tank, I must replace the oil!

Now the guys at Subaru have no idea what is wrong, but tell me there is someone else with the same problem. This poor bugger is now the guinea pig and has forked (well over R30K) out to have his injectors tested as well as having all his fuel lines replaced...still no success.

I would just like to know if anyone else is having this problem.

I have noticed on long journeys (traveling in excess of 120k/h) it does not seem to be a problem...only when driving around town.

Lastly, I drive an outback diesel 2.0D (2012) which engine wise is mechanically identical to the forester (and there seem to be a lot more of these around) hence the post in this section.

Cheers.

April 10, 2018, 07:59:03 AM
Reply #1

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Not going past the rings?

Is it using oil?

Given Subaru's reputation with soft cylinders and oil rings, might be worth looking at.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

April 10, 2018, 09:59:11 AM
Reply #2

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
Have you had a compression test done?
Any smoking? If any, what colour?  On start or under acceleration?
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

April 10, 2018, 10:13:03 AM
Reply #3

Bravofox

• Just another Member

• View Profile
    • Email
No problems on long journeys tells me your DPF may be the problem.

Check out this thread: https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1041138-oil-dilution-problem-legacy-diesel-2010-a.html
2015 Outback 3.6R-S
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Wagon.
-ex -2009 SH XT A/T
-ex- 2009 SG9 XT Premium Manual
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Manual
-ex- 2002 Legacy 2.5GX A/T

April 10, 2018, 08:50:22 PM
Reply #4

Lucky_Joe

• View Profile
Hi Guys, thanks for the reply's.

I had a regen done on the DPF not a few months back and was told it was less than 10% blocked.

No smoke coming from the car at all...cold, warm, accelerating or just cruising...no difference. I guess the DPF must be doing its job.

I will ask the Subaru guys to do a compression test just to rule out the rings/cylinder. I guess if the rings/cylinders are worn then the combustion pressure could be low...possibly leading to incomplete combustion...hence fuel making it past the rings.

Also, thanks for the link to that thread...very interesting.

Im not so sure about the problem not occurring over long distance driving as after doing 1600Km (1200Km of that on highway at 120+km/h) I had my oil changed today just in case. The technician in Subaru said my oil was like water coming out of the sump...eish! The warning light never lit up.

Any further suggestions very welcome.

Cheers.

April 17, 2018, 02:43:00 PM
Reply #5

bad1gp

• View Profile
    • Email
HI All
I've had my 2012 Fozz 2.0d for just over a year and in the begining i had the exact same issue. I ended up taking my car every 2 weeks fr a forced DPF regen. each one costed about R1500. i finally decided to remove the dpf. cost me about 9k with some other mods 8) but its never been a problem since the.