Author Topic: 2007 2,5X Recommended Engine Oil  (Read 504 times)

May 02, 2018, 02:52:39 PM
Read 504 times

Andyh

• View Profile
Any advice/recommendation for engine oil for the 2,5X non-turbo engine?
Engine has done approx 200 000km
Castrol Magnatec 10W40 ?

May 02, 2018, 02:59:05 PM
Reply #1

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
That's what I would use and did use in my NA.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

May 04, 2018, 11:58:59 AM
Reply #2

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
At that mileage a 10W40 is a good choice.
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

May 16, 2018, 02:13:43 PM
Reply #3

ScoobyFozz

• View Profile
5w30 when new but at that mileage try find a 5w40. That way your engine still gets oil quicker when cold than the 10w40. Bearing, piston and ring clearances in our engines are very very small.

Stay away from anything magnatec!! They sludge up engines. Many dealers of different car makers in P.E. have had engine replacements under warranty, due to sludge using magnatec. That's part of the reason I had to rebuild my 2.5 XS as I used Castrol. The chap at the engineering shop told it's the best oil... for his business, after he asked what oil I used... lol!!

P.s. How do you "turn off" magnatec to drain it all properly or during an engine flush?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

May 18, 2018, 12:26:28 PM
Reply #4

boxerulez

• View Profile
    • Email

P.s. How do you "turn off" magnatec to drain it all properly or during an engine flush?

Maybe reversing the battery polarity will switch it off  ;D ;D :'(  (this is not advice, its a joke, dont revers your battery polarity)

Ive landed on HX8 5w40 my car burns the least amount of oil on this and it is still within cold spec of what the turbo demands.

May 23, 2018, 06:33:50 AM
Reply #5

Garrsie

• View Profile
    • Email
5w30 when new but at that mileage try find a 5w40. That way your engine still gets oil quicker when cold than the 10w40. Bearing, piston and ring clearances in our engines are very very small.

Stay away from anything magnatec!! They sludge up engines. Many dealers of different car makers in P.E. have had engine replacements under warranty, due to sludge using magnatec. That's part of the reason I had to rebuild my 2.5 XS as I used Castrol. The chap at the engineering shop told it's the best oil... for his business, after he asked what oil I used... lol!!

Agreed, Magnatec is not good. I do however use Castrol Edge FST Titanium 10w60. I have forged piston though, that's why so thick. Never had a problem with it over a good few years. I don't use any oil between services (ok, maybe half a pint) at 5000kms.
2006 Forester XT, Wiseco pistons, 18"Koya lightweight wheels, Bridgestone re002, Custom 20g turbo, STi IC, 76mm exhaust, Walbro 255, Custom turbo inlet, intake spacers, Gizmo Boost Controller, TGV deletes. BC RA Coilies, Brembo big Calipers, PB RS Discs, Coolboost WMI, Intent Performance Tuned

May 23, 2018, 06:51:56 AM
Reply #6

ScoobyFozz

• View Profile

Agreed, Magnatec is not good. I do however use Castrol Edge FST Titanium 10w60. I have forged piston though, that's why so thick. Never had a problem with it over a good few years. I don't use any oil between services (ok, maybe half a pint) at 5000kms.
Hi Garsie
10w60 is what I used and also the part of the reason why the oil rings sludged up on my engine. The previous owner ran 10w50 for some time and I later changed to 10w60 Castrol same as you, which in my opinion is way too heavy at 60. Subaru recommended warm weight is 30-40 for our climate. Piston to bore clearance is so small, that the 60 oil in my opinion would also struggle to get to the oil rings.

Maybe try an engine flush at next service and run 10w40 to see oil consumption difference? Are your forged piston to bore clearances bigger than std. spec?

May 23, 2018, 06:54:19 AM
Reply #7

ScoobyFozz

• View Profile

Maybe reversing the battery polarity will switch it off  ;D ;D :'(  (this is not advice, its a joke, dont revers your battery polarity)

Ive landed on HX8 5w40 my car burns the least amount of oil on this and it is still within cold spec of what the turbo demands.
I knew it.... I forgot a battery lead going into my sump. ;-)

May 23, 2018, 10:56:30 AM
Reply #8

Garrsie

• View Profile
    • Email
Clearances are larger yes. I get a fair amount of piston slap when cold. I do an oil change every 5000kms so not concerned about any build up. When looking at the qualities of the Edge FST Titanium (used to be the Edge Sport), it's pretty good oil. The Magnatec is rubbish though. Also, when buying the Edge oils, make sure it's the FST Titanium stuff, apparently you can get straight Edge and that's rubbish too.
2006 Forester XT, Wiseco pistons, 18"Koya lightweight wheels, Bridgestone re002, Custom 20g turbo, STi IC, 76mm exhaust, Walbro 255, Custom turbo inlet, intake spacers, Gizmo Boost Controller, TGV deletes. BC RA Coilies, Brembo big Calipers, PB RS Discs, Coolboost WMI, Intent Performance Tuned

May 30, 2018, 09:20:44 PM
Reply #9

ScoobyFozz

• View Profile
Clearances are larger yes. I get a fair amount of piston slap when cold. I do an oil change every 5000kms so not concerned about any build up. When looking at the qualities of the Edge FST Titanium (used to be the Edge Sport), it's pretty good oil. The Magnatec is rubbish though. Also, when buying the Edge oils, make sure it's the FST Titanium stuff, apparently you can get straight Edge and that's rubbish too.
I was using the normal Castrol Edge 10w60 as well which in my opinion was too thick. I'll change mine to 5w40 at the next service and stick with that. Have you found any oil filters with a non-return valve inside it, aftermarket or Subaru brand? I think this is a good thing, to reduce the chance of the oil pump losing a bit of its prime.