Author Topic: Should I buy an old Forester.  (Read 1600 times)

June 12, 2018, 02:20:09 PM
Read 1600 times

Matthew Hardwick

• View Profile
So I'm trying to justify a decision here more than anything.

I currently drive a 2008 merc c200 which is very nice, but a bit prone to getting stuck on my girlfriends farm. My mother happens to be looking to sell her 2005 Forester 25x (manual) because the head gasket is getting a little bit leaky and she doesn't want to deal with that. I know the fix should be around R20k (phoned Scoobyworx today).

The forester has 135000km on the clock, driven to Capetown twice, Durban four or five times, up Sani pass etc, so its not really been driven daily. Its racked up most of those kilometers on long trips and is driven by a middle aged woman. Had all the services on time, never been pushed hard etc. So I'm not sure why she needs such a major fix at this stage. i know people with tripple the kilometers in the same time and no problems.

Anyway I'm thinking about selling the merc and using the cash to outbid we buy cars (R55k) and pay for the repairs to use the scooby as my daily.

I believe the subaru is a bit more thirsty and tyres etc will be a touch more expensive, i can soak up 20% greater running costs but I need to know that the subaru will be as reliable as my merc and wont be costing me 20k every couple of years.

~TL;DR
Should I buy a 2005 Forester and get the head gasket fixed?

June 12, 2018, 02:31:21 PM
Reply #1

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi

Personally they are overall good and reliable

The head gasket failing was a issue

Personally I would take the car
First get the Radiator changed to full metal one
They replace the top and bottom part that is plastic since that has tendency top fail after 100,000K's
Or you can buy a full metal one

And then have the head gasket done

As for tires they aren't that bad on tire use
Just rotate the tires through the life and replace them 4 at a time.

Have heard of quite a few cases where head gasket goes and it blows the plastic top on radiator
Or the radiator goes and it causes damage to head gasket
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:35:17 PM by Veneficus »
2007 2.5XT Manual (and boy did I have to search for manual one)

June 12, 2018, 02:45:05 PM
Reply #2

Matthew Hardwick

• View Profile
Thanks for the reply, I will be sure to do the radiator at the same time.

This may be a stupid question, but to do the HG they have to remove the engine entirely, would it not be a good time to drop a new(er) engine in maybe a ej20 with a turbo?

Seems like it shouldn't cost too much more than just the HG, but I am no mechanic.
http://tv2engineandgearbox.co.za/product/ej25/

June 12, 2018, 02:47:53 PM
Reply #3

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email

This may be a stupid question, but to do the HG they have to remove the engine entirely, would it not be a good time to drop a new(er) engine in maybe a ej20 with a turbo?

Seems like it shouldn't cost too much more than just the HG, but I am no mechanic.
http://tv2engineandgearbox.co.za/product/ej25/

that is the best answer you can get.

as for your q with regards to a newer engine, it's not just fitting a turbo engine and off you go. fuel rails, transmission, brakes, suspension - this all will need to be done - and more.

rather just buy an XT then and get done with it!
Mine:
2014 Ford Ranger Double Cab
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

June 12, 2018, 02:53:00 PM
Reply #4

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
For R55k I would not buy a broken SG pre-facelift. For a touch more you can get a working one.

If WBC offers me R55k for that car with leaking HG's I would sign rapidly.
Randburg - Gauteng
Blok Engineering

June 13, 2018, 07:26:25 AM
Reply #5

Garrsie

• View Profile
    • Email
For R55k I would not buy a broken SG pre-facelift. For a touch more you can get a working one.

My thoughts exactly. R55k is a very good offer, especially from WeBuyCars. I'd let them take it, they'll likely just sell it straight on and have to deal with the CPA stuff.

Think of it this way, you're paying R75k for a pre-facelift Foz and you can get an xt for around that price pretty easily. If you do an engine swap, you're looking at R95-100k and you'll get a really nice xt for that.
2006 Forester XT, Wiseco pistons, 18"Koya lightweight wheels, Bridgestone re002, Custom 20g turbo, STi IC, 76mm exhaust, Walbro 255, Custom turbo inlet, intake spacers, Gizmo Boost Controller, TGV deletes. BC RA Coilies, Brembo big Calipers, PB RS Discs, Coolboost WMI, Intent Performance Tuned

June 13, 2018, 07:01:06 PM
Reply #6

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email

My thoughts exactly. R55k is a very good offer, especially from WeBuyCars. I'd let them take it, they'll likely just sell it straight on and have to deal with the CPA stuff.

Think of it this way, you're paying R75k for a pre-facelift Foz and you can get an xt for around that price pretty easily. If you do an engine swap, you're looking at R95-100k and you'll get a really nice xt for that.
What he said. Sell it. But an XT. Job done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forester XT 2008 MT
TD04, STi IC, 76mm DP, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Intent Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.5

June 13, 2018, 07:01:14 PM
Reply #7

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email

What he said. Sell it. But an XT. Job done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forester XT 2008 MT
TD04, STi IC, 76mm DP, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Intent Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.5

June 14, 2018, 09:13:05 AM
Reply #8

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
So I'm trying to justify a decision here more than anything.

I currently drive a 2008 merc c200 which is very nice, but a bit prone to getting stuck on my girlfriends farm. My mother happens to be looking to sell her 2005 Forester 25x (manual) because the head gasket is getting a little bit leaky and she doesn't want to deal with that. I know the fix should be around R20k (phoned Scoobyworx today).

The forester has 135000km on the clock, driven to Capetown twice, Durban four or five times, up Sani pass etc, so its not really been driven daily. Its racked up most of those kilometers on long trips and is driven by a middle aged woman. Had all the services on time, never been pushed hard etc. So I'm not sure why she needs such a major fix at this stage. i know people with tripple the kilometers in the same time and no problems.

Anyway I'm thinking about selling the merc and using the cash to outbid we buy cars (R55k) and pay for the repairs to use the scooby as my daily.

I believe the subaru is a bit more thirsty and tyres etc will be a touch more expensive, i can soak up 20% greater running costs but I need to know that the subaru will be as reliable as my merc and wont be costing me 20k every couple of years.

~TL;DR
Should I buy a 2005 Forester and get the head gasket fixed?

an XT sounds like to the right vehicle, but remember the running costs of an XT vs 2.5 is more, no argument can be made against that. the plus point of the X in question, you know the history and they way it was taken care of.

think about that as well!!
Mine:
2014 Ford Ranger Double Cab
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

August 15, 2018, 10:07:01 AM
Reply #9

Matthew Hardwick

• View Profile
An update.

My mother decided she could not part with her car. I don't really blame her, its had every service early and the mileage is low. She got scoobyworx to fix the head gasket and put in a metal radiator, shes replaced the carpets etc and I assume she has taken up drinking because she is now looking for someone to pinstripe her car. I'll post pictures if she does find someone to paint it.

August 16, 2018, 09:21:40 AM
Reply #10

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Randburg - Gauteng
Blok Engineering

February 12, 2020, 07:09:00 PM
Reply #11

spencerarcher

• View Profile

https://www.delta.exchange/futures-guide-bitcoin/
it costs too much

February 15, 2020, 09:51:05 AM
Reply #12

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
To change X or XS to Turbo costs way too much on its own because there is massive amount of things that needs to be changed for the engine
And your gearbox spec is also different since Subaru believed that the NA engines gearbox is not strong enough to handle the Turbo

At the prices and the differences it is cheaper and better to rather sell the X and then buy an decent condition XT
And then at least you know that everything was made to work together and you are likely to get major reliability issues due to some things not being overall correct
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:54:28 PM by Veneficus »
2007 2.5XT Manual (and boy did I have to search for manual one)