Author Topic: tuning advice  (Read 233 times)

August 02, 2018, 10:19:20 PM
Read 233 times

ScoobyDoobyDoo

• View Profile
    • Email
Greeting gents.
I haven't posted on the forum for a wile but im back   :D
so i am looking to get my fozzie tuned and would like to ask a few questions.

for one if i do the catless downpipe and remap how much power can i expect and will reliability fly out the window?
secondly can you achieve better fuel economy on an XT while getting power gains when its tuned ( i would like to sit at around 200kw )
i would also like to add a cold air intake for the sound , will this complicate the process?

thanks

August 03, 2018, 07:00:42 AM
Reply #1

Garrsie

• View Profile
    • Email
2006 Forester XT, Wiseco pistons, 18"Koya lightweight wheels, Bridgestone re002, Custom 20g turbo, STi IC, 76mm exhaust, Walbro 255, Custom turbo inlet, intake spacers, Gizmo Boost Controller, TGV deletes. BC RA Coilies, Brembo big Calipers, PB RS Discs, Coolboost WMI, Intent Performance Tuned

August 09, 2018, 01:43:37 PM
Reply #2

PyroPerformance

• View Profile
    • Email
Greeting gents.
I haven't posted on the forum for a wile but im back   :D
so i am looking to get my fozzie tuned and would like to ask a few questions.

for one if i do the catless downpipe and remap how much power can i expect and will reliability fly out the window?
secondly can you achieve better fuel economy on an XT while getting power gains when its tuned ( i would like to sit at around 200kw )
i would also like to add a cold air intake for the sound , will this complicate the process?

thanks

If you are aiming for 200kw you will have to go catless downpipe, the standard exhaust can't flow enough to accommodate the increase in exhaust gas.

If anything your reliability should improve. Our cars are Aus spec and have Aus spec maps on them designed for the 98 octane fuel they get at the petrol pumps.

A CAI sounds nice, but can complicate things for your tuner if it has earthing issues. A far easier and cheaper option that gives the same sound effect would be to remove your front right wheel, unclip the front end of .the fender liner and pull it back. Here you will find a resonator box for your cars standard induction system. It is held in place by 2 number 10 nuts, one is in the engine bay betwen the airbox and the mini air scoup, the second is a little more tricky, you need to feel behind the airbox in the fender, it is there and may take a minute or 2 to find.

As for your power gains, this is impossible to estimate, all depends on the cars history, how previous owners have treated/driven it, maintained it and what the motor sounds like when your tuner of choice goes tuning.

Fuel economy can be improved with earlier spool up times and higher boost levels believe it or not, but it all depends on how heavy your foot is.

In the beginning don't expect a major improvement in fuel economy as you will be enjoying your new found power every chance you get, but this will change after a month or so.

Given your cars age I would suggest looking at some safety mods in the form of a bigger IC ( a good bick sti tmic will do the trick ). A new radiator as the oem ones crack on the plastic end tanks and you may want to upgrade your fuel pump and possibly injectors depending on your long term goals.

Have fun, good luck and feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions.

August 09, 2018, 10:26:36 PM
Reply #3

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Pyro.....
Can we assume this is Julian?

I don't have a XT, but I have modded my intake slightly (removed resonator Tupperware...)

What I am interseted in is your comment: "A CAI sounds nice, but can complicate things for your tuner if it has earthing issues."

Please explain this.

I have a plastic flex(ex Chinatown) running from my filter box (SG9 Pre Facelift), to the RH headlight, and there is a piece of Alu tube on the end, just to enable me to fix the intake hose to something. The bracketing is all metal, so the Alu tube end is "Earthed".

The pic shows the setup, excluding the Alu endpiece, which lies in front of the ABS control.

Comments?
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape