Author Topic: 2006 SG XT back box  (Read 412 times)

November 05, 2018, 09:59:29 AM
Read 412 times

Mathieu

• View Profile
    • Email
I've read a whole lot of threads on exhaust mods and it seems that the number one loudness variable is the back box.
My XT is totally quiet and I tend to like it that way, although I wouldn't mind a bit of an exhaust report when I push it.
Obviously the right amount of noise is different for every person. I don't want to spend money on the exhaust only to regret it later.

Does anyone have a plug and play back box floating around that I could connect and test and if I like it buy it from you?
The rest of my system is stock and I intend on keeping the original box for times when I want the car to be silent again.
I'm after some noise at higher rpm ~3500. Exhaust drone at cruising speed is a deal breaker for me.
I'm based in Cape Town.

November 05, 2018, 02:04:23 PM
Reply #1

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Correct. I have a decatted downpipe and no mid box, but still have the stock back box. Very quiet. On a XT back box is everything noise wise.

Ask on the Facebook group, there were some Powerflow and Prodrive boxes available a while ago.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

November 05, 2018, 03:25:58 PM
Reply #2

Mathieu

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks LSS. I have posted on the facebook page

November 06, 2018, 08:02:22 AM
Reply #3

Bravofox

• Just another Member

• View Profile
    • Email
I had a straight backbox made-up at an exhaust shop for my SG XT when I had it. It sounded great, but the big tailpiece caused cabin drone. I stuck a small pipe inside it and it was eliminated almost completely. Had the same on my SH XT with pipes fitted by the Subaru dealer. That big tailpieces seems to cause a trumpet effect which gets amplified by the tailgate. A small tailpiece "throws" the sound pulses away from the car. Atleast, that was my experiences on both XTs... 
2015 Outback 3.6R-S
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Wagon.
-ex -2009 SH XT A/T
-ex- 2009 SG9 XT Premium Manual
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Manual
-ex- 2002 Legacy 2.5GX A/T

January 09, 2019, 12:02:10 PM
Reply #4

Mathieu

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks Bravofox

I haven't had any luck finding a Prodrive so far but a friend just bought an XT with one and it sounds perfect, I'm convinced its what I want.

I discovered that the prodrive is a simple perforated straight pipe design - similar to powerflow boxes. So I will ask powerflow to make me an axle back bolt on with similar dimensions to the Prodrive. Will see how that turns out.

April 16, 2019, 06:58:46 AM
Reply #5

sav

• View Profile
Thanks Bravofox

I haven't had any luck finding a Prodrive so far but a friend just bought an XT with one and it sounds perfect, I'm convinced its what I want.

I discovered that the prodrive is a simple perforated straight pipe design - similar to powerflow boxes. So I will ask powerflow to make me an axle back bolt on with similar dimensions to the Prodrive. Will see how that turns out.
Sorted?

Mine consists of a 76mm downpipe, resonator delete, and a small Powerflow rear box. Zero drone at highway speeds but it's got a nice rumble at idle and driving around town. Really not loud at all.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

April 17, 2019, 09:46:43 AM
Reply #6

chickenlip

• View Profile
    • Email
I had Prodrive backbox for a few months, sounded nice but not quite the grunt i wanted still on the quiet side, swopped it out for a Scooby Sport back box which was just perfect for me, that was over a year ago and i now want more!! Once you have heard the drone of a 3 inch full system with a fat backbox there is no turning back - currently saving up for one  :)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 09:50:50 AM by chickenlip »
2006 XT (MT) Crystal Grey
Decatted Downpipe (Stock)
GReddy RZ-BOV
ScoobySport Back Box

JHB South

April 17, 2019, 03:43:43 PM
Reply #7

Mathieu

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks Bravofox

Sorted?

Mine consists of a 76mm downpipe, resonator delete, and a small Powerflow rear box. Zero drone at highway speeds but it's got a nice rumble at idle and driving around town. Really not loud at all.

Ya I came right with a powerflow back box. Its just right for me, similar sounding to the Prodrive - fairly quiet but you can hear what the engine is doing.

April 17, 2019, 03:47:32 PM
Reply #8

sav

• View Profile
Thanks Bravofox

Sorted?

Ya I came right with a powerflow back box. Its just right for me, similar sounding to the Prodrive - fairly quiet but you can hear what the engine is doing.
Awesome.  ;D
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...