Author Topic: Tyre choices for Baviaanskloof  (Read 521 times)

February 03, 2019, 09:35:42 PM
Read 521 times

supertorro

• View Profile
Hi there folks. I am new to the forum and have come here seeking advice from that fount of all knowledge: the interwebs.

But first an introduction: Currently I am driving a 2018 XV in base trim, because who needs all the electronic driver aids? Also it's red, so it's faster than normal. Honestly I have to admit I have wondered why it has taken me so long to come to the Subaru stable. I f@#$ love my car. His name is Eric the Red

Last year we took Eric up to Namibia 5 days after taking ownership. He did not miss a beat and was just brilliant throughout. On the stock tyres (Yokohama Blue Earth E70) we went beach crawling and into Sossusvlei. We did get stuck, but nothing a little effort didn't sort out.

So, Eric is in stock format. Now we have a planned road trip through the Baviaanskloof visiting the surrounds like Zandvlakte, Addo Elephant park, Ripple Hill, Hogsback, etc. Not having been through those conditions I am seeking advice on suitable tyres.

The stock tyres I can't really complain about. They're road tyres and they were pretty good in Nam, but I did manage to puncture once on an innocuous stretch outside Luderitz.

So my options as I see it, or have managed to glean today:
Yokohama Geolander G015
Pirelli Scorpion ATR 
BF Goodrich KO2

Or

Drop to 16" wheels and pretty much the same options as above.
I'm a bit undecided to stay with 17" or drop to 16", so any opinions here would be appreciated.
Eric is a daily driver so some road manners are required.

Look forward to your responses.
Thanks
Carlos

February 04, 2019, 10:26:53 AM
Reply #1

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
I must say that I really enjoy my G015s.
I dropped to 16 on my SG Foz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forester XT 2008 MT
TD04, STi IC, 76mm DP, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Intent Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.5

February 04, 2019, 12:49:17 PM
Reply #2

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Supertorro.
 I used G015's 16 inch on my SH Forester when I visited the whole eastern side of Baviaanskloof last year. Also did Zuurberg pass that is even rougher although it is supposed to be a public road. I had no problems. The tyres are made for that type of terrain.
But.... perhaps you should first hear from other XV owners what it will do to your tar handling!!!!
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

February 04, 2019, 08:34:06 PM
Reply #3

stefmau

• View Profile
    • Email
I found myself in a similar situation, and heres what I did:
Bought a set of 16 rims and fitted G015s.

Pros: Awesome on dirt, sand and gravel, good tar grip, a little squeal if you thump it on corners, quiet ride, more comfort over  bumps due to higher sidewall.

Cons: not much - perhaps a bit less grip in the wet and some talk of increased noise as the tyre wears low, it did affect corner handling a bit which I recon is due to my higher profile (65 vs 60)

15k km later Im still a happy chappie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

February 04, 2019, 11:24:03 PM
Reply #4

Outbacker

• View Profile
    • Email
My dad has a set of 225/55 R17 MICHELIN LATITUDE CROSS tyres that he is very happy with on is Forester, and they are proper rugged.

February 18, 2019, 10:23:38 AM
Reply #5

supertorro

• View Profile
Thanks for all the tips lads. Yep, looks like dropping to 16" rims is the only reasonable option here. It seems all tyre manufacturers product the correct size tyre, just the local importers don't bring them in.
Dropping to 16 seems to open a huge amount of choice, and at much better prices.
So, 16" wheels. Any good leads for a quality 16" alloy I can get? I'm happy to go with alloy as I don't intend to turn Eric into a rock crawler

February 18, 2019, 11:46:34 AM
Reply #6

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forester XT 2008 MT
TD04, STi IC, 76mm DP, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Intent Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.5

February 18, 2019, 04:35:55 PM
Reply #7

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
I also have G015 215/65/16, no complaints.

If you have time, and if it's possible, raise the car a bit. It helps.
Also try to invest in a sumpguard, there are some nasty bits of road in Baviaans.

Take a whole day for Baviaans's eastern side, and western, for that matter, there's lots to see.
On the eastern side, watch out for the Fortuners and Cruisers with Caravans coming thru in the passes, it's narrow in places.

If there was a lot of rain, they'll probably not let you drive West-East. Have a plan "B".
There is 1 water crossing wich can be a problem......
Fill up before you enter Baviaans, there is no petrol inside. (Take spare fuel if you can, especially if you are driving around a bit).

If you are looking for a place to stay on the Western side of Baviaans, I can recommend Verberg Herberg.
Inside Baviaans, there are quire a few places, but Makkedaat (Caves) is something special.

Zuurberg is a nice pass. (any Avis car can do it. ;) ;)) It is a bit rough(washed out) in places.

Avoid Ann's Villa if you want to sleep over. (northern end of Zuurberg). It's a dump.
There is a "museum" of some sort, try your luck, we didn't have time.

Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

April 08, 2019, 07:53:22 PM
Reply #8

supertorro

• View Profile
Sjoe. So after quite a bit of looking around for a compatible tyre size I eneded up taking what was in stock. Got a nice set of Falken Wildpeak AT.  All that remains is to see how they do in the Baviaans area.  I can say on the tarmac they are slightly harder as the sidewall is a little stiffer. And a very slight increase in noise. But really, that is just nitpicking. Day to day I havent noticed any difference, which is perfect. And probably the best part is that they look like normal tyres. No trying to look aggresive here ;-)

April 09, 2019, 05:04:47 PM
Reply #9

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
The feedback on the Wildpeak's are good.
What size did you fit?
What size were your original tyres?
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

April 09, 2019, 06:01:28 PM
Reply #10

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Ill go BFG everyday all day.

They are very heavy unfortunately and will make the gutless 2.0 even slower.
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

April 17, 2019, 06:07:36 PM
Reply #11

supertorro

• View Profile
Went down fro. 225/60 17 to 215/60 17. So a very minor difference. Just got through the Baviaanskloof now, and they were faultless, as was Eric. Very predictable loss of traction and really good on rough and rocky surfaces. From my uninformed opinion they were excellent. Highway travelling also not a problem, but too early to say anything about longevity