Author Topic: Forester tyre size  (Read 616 times)

February 05, 2019, 09:41:03 PM
Read 616 times

General Hobo

  • Newbie

  • Offline
  • *

  • 3
    • View Profile
I recently bought a 2012 Forester 2.0D. Upon inspecting the car at the dealership, I noticed the one front tyre was made in 2017 the other in 2011... The two rear tyres are from 2014. After doing some research I have come to the conclusion that I probably need to replace all 4 tyres? (The spare tyre is also a 2017)

The current tyres are 225/55 R17 Yokohama Geolandar G95. I would like to replace them with something a little bit bigger in terms of the "aspect / profile" What is the maximum tyre size I could realistically consider, sticking to the stock 17" rims etc. it seems the choice is limited to 225 with either 55, 60 or 65 aspect / profile. Has anyone fitted 225/65 R17? If I do get larger tyres I'll need to replace the spare wheel as well. Will a 225/65 R17 fit into the spare tyre compartment?

The next question is which tyre to buy! My specific considerations are the following: 90% of my time will be spent on tar, the other 10% will probably be on gravel roads with the odd bit of sand here and there. Is something like the General Grabber GT worth considering? Or should I stick to Yokohama? I would prefer paying not more than R2500 per tyre...

Is it worth increasing the size to the 60 or 65 from the 55 profile?

Thanks in advance!


February 05, 2019, 10:26:56 PM
Reply #1

mauritsvw

  • Full Member

  • Offline
  • ***

  • 226
    • View Profile
    • Email
I've fitted mine (petrol) with 215/60 R17 without problems. I'm not sure 65's will fit the spare wheel well anymore, but you can deflate it to get it to fit, I guess. I'm sure more knowledgeable people will also advise.
2012 Forester XS MT - Steel Silver (Vossie 1)
2006 Forester XT AT - Platinum Silver (Vossie 2)
Ex 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS Sportwagon - Aqua Blue (Scoob y)

February 06, 2019, 03:11:08 PM
Reply #2

General Hobo

  • Newbie

  • Offline
  • *

  • 3
    • View Profile
Cool thanks!

February 06, 2019, 03:59:24 PM
Reply #3

berndp

  • Hero Member

  • Offline
  • *****

  • 1254
    • View Profile
    • Email
I could not fit a new 215/65/16 into spare wheel well without deflating.
Half worn, it fits.
That's for an SG Foz.

For that amount of gravel, you're prob better off with a Yoko Geolander AT or similar tyre.
There is some discussion elsewhere on this forum about tyre types....(i think)
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

August 13, 2019, 10:35:34 AM
Reply #4

ProSport

  • Full Member

  • Offline
  • ***
  • undercover post master

  • 245
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi General Hobo, what did you end up getting? I have the same question re my 2011 S-Edition. I want to go as high and wide profile as possible.
Drive One, You'll Understand

August 13, 2019, 08:01:40 PM
Reply #5

stefmau

  • Newbie

  • Offline
  • *

  • 49
    • View Profile
    • Email
I had the Yoko G95s too (225/60 17s). Fitted in wheel well without issue.
Then changed to 215/65 16s with Yoko G015s - great on gravel and dirt roads and not too shabby on tar either.
Done Tankwa a few times without issues.

Also, 16s are almost R1k cheaper than the equivalent 17 size...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk