Author Topic: 2006 XS Clutch fork  (Read 83 times)

May 09, 2019, 07:02:03 PM
Read 83 times

BraMilk

• View Profile
Hi all,
After some notice (clutch pedal did not feel right) the pedal collapsed right to the ground with no return. I removed the box only to find the fork cracked open where it swivels at the ball. Duly bought a new one at West Rand Subaru (very helpful bunch) and fitted it. What I noticed is that the old pedal had a metal stiffener welded in, whereas the new one don't have. Also fitted slave cylinder kit since the piston pressed right out.Rest of clutch seems OK. (Don't have the 4g for a new kit  ::)
Now the pedal feel is still stiff although the clutch engages and car is driving around. Heard from Subaru that it is better to replace pressure plate as well. Does not make sense since the hydraulics should not be affected by a stiff pressure plate? Has anybody had similar experience or advice please?
Thanks!

May 14, 2019, 11:34:19 PM
Reply #1

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
My fork also collapsed today.

Still need to decide wether to remove hte box or the engine for the repair. The clutch/pressure plate have done 140k km, so probably near their end of life.

Sofar, the agents quoted me me R5300 for the parts, that's excluding any seals on the gearbox which may be required if I go that route.....
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

May 22, 2019, 03:05:15 PM
Reply #2

BraMilk

• View Profile
Prices here in Gauteng is 1800 and 1700 for clutch and pressure plates, plus 440 for release bearing. Replaced broken fork only.
At first I was apprehensive to tackle the job myself but after I did it, its not so difficult. Have got a manual though, it helps.
Saw on You tube about removing engine, but decided to remove box instead as per book.
Tried the rod adjustment just behind clutch fork for the stiff clutch action, 1 full turn clockwise...still a bit stiff but more smooth
Hope your job goes the same...