Author Topic: Are Yokohama AT-S 225/60/R17 99H unavailable  (Read 572 times)

May 23, 2019, 01:46:44 PM
Read 572 times

Puzzled Penguins

• View Profile
    • Email
6 months ago I replaced two of the Yokohama G91's supplied on my Forester, with Yokohama AT-S equivalent because I do at least 50% of my travelling on rough dirt roads. I was told this was okay as long as the new tyres were on the same axil. I now want to replace the two G91's with the AT but two tyre shops in East London where I live report that these tyres are no longer available from Yokohama. The new AT's have done about 5000km.
Anyone know if it is true that the Yokohama AT's are unavailable and if so, any suggestions for an alternative?
Update:
One week on and after visiting five tyre dealers in East London and unsuccessfully attempting to get comment from Yokoyama, I can report that it is true, suitable Yokohama Geolandar AT rated tyres are no longer available. Even worse news is that no 225/60/R17 AT rated tyres are currently available in the country. I find this incredible as it appears the main reason for purchasing such a reliable vehicle as the Forester is no longer of relevance - viz. that it can be taken on the rough roads. Even as I type this, I find it difficult to believe that suitable AT tyres for Foresters are unavailable, but I get the same response from all suppliers I've contacted. It is worth adding that in every instance I was initially told by the tyre dealers that, yes, Geolandar AT are available - the GO12 having been replaced with the improved GO15. In every instance they have expressed astonishment when discovering that not even the GO15 are now imported. When asked to see if they could find some other make of AT tyres, they have had to admit defeat. Maybe some of you more experienced and knowledgeable Forester owners (and perhaps the dealers) would care to comment - and suggest some course of action. Oh, and if you check on the manufacturers web pages you will see they list the tyres as part of their stock but this, as it turns out, is untrue and false advertising.
I have posted suitable comment on 'Hello Peter' to warn other consumers.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 03:35:14 PM by Puzzled Penguins »

May 24, 2019, 10:19:41 PM
Reply #1

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm in a fighting mood today (maybe it's the flu...)

How can they sell you something that is not available 6 months down the line (assuming they did not alert you to this).

Fight them: they must get you the same (AT-S) tires, or give you 4 x new model, and you pay for what you have used on the AT-S tires
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

May 26, 2019, 06:45:16 PM
Reply #2

Puzzled Penguins

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks. I agree it is dubious marketing. Have tried to contact Yokohama directly but till now they have not responded to a query posted on their web page.

June 03, 2019, 05:57:10 PM
Reply #3

Starfire69

• View Profile
    • Email
Exactly why I dumped my 17 inch rims. I am now on 16ís, with proper Goodyear AT tires on. Availability and range of tires is so much better and, 16ís are at least R1000 cheaper per tire.

June 06, 2019, 05:24:00 AM
Reply #4

Speedy

• View Profile
    • Email
Have you tried Errolís Tyres? I see they still have that model and size listed so it could be worth an investigation.

Very frustrating, hope you get sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk