Author Topic: SG9 Foresters and drive shafts/CV joints  (Read 111 times)

July 10, 2019, 06:08:32 PM
Read 111 times

MikeH

• View Profile
    • Email
I drive a 2008 XT Forester which has around 120k on the clock.  Recently, while on the south coast, I noticed a shudder under moderate load and acceleration - it reminded me of an out of balance washing machine.  I asked the agents in Gauteng to check it out when it was serviced and they cleaned the MAF sensor and declared the car fit for use. The problem of course was still there and grew progressively worse and was more prominent as the car got hotter.  I knew that diagnosis would be difficult and the long list included engine (fuel or ignition), worn engine or gearbox mountings, out of balance flywheel, worn universal joint on the prop-shaft or worn CV joints.

I phoned the workshop manager at Subuaru Pietermaritzburg (should have had the car serviced there) who was very helpful and suggested that the likely culprit was the driver`s side inner CV joint which is affected by the heat of the downpipe and turbo which affects the service life of the rubber boot.  He suggested that I have the CV joints checked out either in Pietermarizburg or at a garage on the south coast where there are no Subaru agents unfortunately.   To save myself a 4 hour round trip to PMB, I opted to go to a local tyre place which deals with CV joints amongst other things.  They confirmed that the culprit was indeed the driver`s side inner CV joint.  I had no choice but to order a new drive shaft from the agents at nearly R10k.  The part was fitted and halleluja - the problem  was back as soon as the car had warmed up on the freeway!  Back to the tyre place which suggested that I have the prop shaft checked out at a local Marburg workshop (Hibiscus PropShaft & CV Joints).  A few seconds after arriving, the proprietor (Justin) clambered under the car and waggled the passenger side driveshaft, declaring the inner CV joint shot.   Amazing coincidence to have two inner CV joints fail concurrently and potentially another R10k in costs for a new drive shaft!

Justin asked to look at the old driver`s side shaft which I had fortunately kept.  He reckoned that there was nothing wrong with it!  I had him remove the boot and check the joint before re-greasing.  No wear, no problem at all!  Fortunately the left and right side drive shafts are the same on this model so my old driver`s side shaft was fitted to the passenger side.  Problem gone!

Here`s the clincher - one is faced with either buying a new drive shaft from Subaru or importing Chinese parts of questionable quality when a CV joint fails on a Forester.  Justin refurbished my old passenger side joint which had hardly any grease in it leading to the failure in the first place (agent had replaced the clamp a couple of years previously and clearly not checked and re-greased the joint).  This involved welding one of the lobes, grinding it, and fitting new roller bearings.  Total costs for replacing the shaft and refurbishing the faulty joint - R1,250!  So next time any of you have a failed CV joint, instead of shelling out for a new drive shaft, have a word with Hibiscus Prop Shaft and CV joints (+27 39 685 4422).  Could have saved R11k if I`d been wiser! 

July 11, 2019, 07:39:43 AM
Reply #1

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
For future reference if you order new half shafts rather use Rockauto . com
These are not Chinese quality units

I ordered 2 front half shafts and other components and it cost me about R5500 and that included delivery and taxes

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 07:41:33 AM by Veneficus »
2007 2.5XT Manual (and boy did I have to search for manual one)

July 11, 2019, 11:25:11 AM
Reply #2

MikeH

• View Profile
    • Email
That`s really good value!  I assume that by ordering two half-shafts - you have effectively replaced all front (inner and outer) CV joints with new?

July 11, 2019, 01:54:04 PM
Reply #3

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Yep completely replaced the front with new inner and outer CV's and the set was completely pre assembled
No need to connect inner and outer units with each other

What my order included
SURTRACK/TRAKMOTIVE SB8040  x2 Full CV half shafts
MEVOTECH MES3712 x2 steering tie rod ends
BECK/ARNLEY 1015179  x2 front stabilizer end links
MEVOTECH CMS801045 x1 control arm rear front unit
ACDELCO 45K18050 x 2 Alignment Caster / Camber Cam Bolt Kit

Total cost $312.38
Then had to pay another +- R900 in SA taxes at the time
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:57:42 PM by Veneficus »
2007 2.5XT Manual (and boy did I have to search for manual one)