Author Topic: Radiator replacement  (Read 680 times)

July 20, 2019, 11:07:01 AM
Read 680 times

ScoobyDoobyDoo

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi guys , yesterday i noticed my temp gauge was at max temp , i was about 1km from home luckily . once i opened the bonnet i noticed water rushing out of my radiator so it obviously needs to be replaced.
ive heard good things about the mishimoto radiators, does anyone know where i can order one that will fit my forester? (2006 XT mt) , any other related advice would be appreciated

July 21, 2019, 10:39:22 AM
Reply #1

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
Turbo Replacement <sales@turboreplacement.co.za>. It is a high quality replacement.
Just be careful as the plastic drain plug at the bottom can cross thread if you are hamfisted!!!!
I used the WRX STI Alu on my 2009 non turbo. Just had to modify the pipes a small bit.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 10:51:39 AM by jbh »
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

July 21, 2019, 07:21:08 PM
Reply #2

ScoobyDoobyDoo

• View Profile
    • Email
Turbo Replacement <sales@turboreplacement.co.za>. It is a high quality replacement.
Just be careful as the plastic drain plug at the bottom can cross thread if you are hamfisted!!!!
I used the WRX STI Alu on my 2009 non turbo. Just had to modify the pipes a small bit.

thanks for the reply, how is my turbo related to this tho?

July 23, 2019, 09:13:24 AM
Reply #3

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
It is a turbo radiator. 😉
jbh

July 30, 2019, 09:35:30 AM
Reply #4

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
N/A and Turbo models generally had same radiator anyway :p
So yes the radiator is capable of cooling Turbo model as well

Only thing is the Auto models has gearbox cooler
2007 2.5XT Manual (and boy did I have to search for manual one)

July 30, 2019, 10:13:57 AM
Reply #5

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
But the OEM N/A radiator is not capable of cooling the N/A engine when under heavy load, at slow speed.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

July 30, 2019, 11:55:42 AM
Reply #6

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
But the OEM N/A radiator is not capable of cooling the N/A engine when under heavy load, at slow speed.
How do you mean?

It is capable of cooling it at any speed
It depends on certain factors though

Remember the base cooling fan setting is for the fans to only start kicking in at 96c
And then go down to 92c and turn off
It also generally does not start at max speed immediately

But honestly any of the stock radiators is capable of handling the load
If you want to upgrade you can get top and bottom replaced
Or then go to full mishimoto

I have had just my top and bottom replaced and my fan setting changed and mine currently never goes above 80
I do actually need to get my settings changed up a but though since my fans almost always run

July 30, 2019, 04:38:04 PM
Reply #7

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
I upgraded because mine struggled when driving slowly in a convoy semi off road. Fan had to work overtime. Now it has enough reserve capacity.
jbh

July 30, 2019, 08:20:10 PM
Reply #8

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
How do you mean?

It is capable of cooling it at any speed
It depends on certain factors though

Remember the base cooling fan setting is for the fans to only start kicking in at 96c
And then go down to 92c and turn off
It also generally does not start at max speed immediately

But honestly any of the stock radiators is capable of handling the load
If you want to upgrade you can get top and bottom replaced
Or then go to full mishimoto

I have had just my top and bottom replaced and my fan setting changed and mine currently never goes above 80
I do actually need to get my settings changed up a but though since my fans almost always run

I found that i.e. going up a pass slowly, especially in low range, the car would "overheat". I figured this much: engine running high revs, and working hard, but car slow, so very little natural airflow over radiator. Fans kick in at 96, which is very late. This is not adjustable on the NA Foz (SG).
The first time it happened, we were on our way to Cederberg Oasis (+/-Tankwa Karoo for those who don't know this place). the temperature that day was about 38'C. the car overheated, in sofar that it pushed coolant out, even out of the resevoir, we actually smelled it in the car, and only then noticed the gauge....
Anyway, since then I run with Torque on, alarm set at 100'C. It was a long trip, with many cooldown stops.... Luckilly, no permanent damage it seems.
Then it happened again going up Ouberg Pass near Sutherland.(Lekker pass)

I don't like cooling water above 100'C, because it's too close to 120'C, where the radiator cap releases.......

I have upgraded my cooling system lat year, as follows: new Alu radiator (not Mishimoto, but made by local "radiator guy"), with 26mm deep tubes, instead of the stock 16mm.
Replaced the 5 bladed fan with a 7 bladed fan, so both are now the same(high power fans).
Fitted the XT thermostat, which opens at a cooler temperature.

We did a lekker Nam trip since then, with no "hot" issues.

Fitting Alu tanks helps probably in 2 ways:
  • alu dissapates heat way better than plastic
  • the alu tanks are probably slightly bigger than the plastic ones, therefore more water in the system...

On my setup, I believe the biggest improvement was the thicker core, which causes the water to flow through slower, allowing it cool more.

This is my experience..
Brackenfell, W'Cape

July 31, 2019, 06:28:59 AM
Reply #9

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
I think your issue may have been caused by something else like air in the system
Do not get me wrong the 96 is later than it needs to be however with stock radiator I and quite a few of the guys have done heavy and slow off road driving and towing that can put quite a bit of load on the system without issues

The only time I had a issue was 2 years ago when we went down to Richards bay
All of a sudden my Forester was overheating when running slower while doing medium work
Checked coolant and everything appeared fine but it kept doing it every now and then when driving at lower pace

Turns out it was air in the system that caused the overheat (the way the air got in was the little seal on the pump had failed)
But same thing can happen if you open the normal radiator cap while engine is hot it can let air into the system at the wrong time

As for Fan setting I do believe the stock setting never pushes the fans to full speed
You can probably get someone to log into your ECU and change your fan kick in point and speed even on the N/A unit
It is fully ECU controlled so it can be changed and I don't think the N/A ecu was locked
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 09:36:46 AM by Veneficus »

July 31, 2019, 09:47:33 AM
Reply #10

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
You are correct, air might have been the culprit. I don't know. It could be that the first time this happenend was after a (not recent) radiator replacement, and maybe there was air in the system, ???

Anyway, the mods I did work for me.(maybe I paid for unnecessary things.. i was not going to tackle Nam with a 100k km old plastic radiator)

As for the ECU, I am told there's nothing that can be "tuned" on the NA (pre facelift).
With FreeSSM, there are no settings to be changed, except idling speed i think. I can't even see the fan setpoints.

Brackenfell, W'Cape

July 31, 2019, 12:52:51 PM
Reply #11

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Hehehe always good idea anyway to get rid of the plastic top and bottom if the Radiator is close to 100000K's :P

That is why I had my ones top and bottom replaced at about 200,000K's as well (full radiator was replaced with stock one at 103,500)
so it was just under 100,000k's on the radiator
I had tops and bottom replaced and it dropped average moving temp by about 3-4c
Then after that I had the fan speeds changed to where it is now

ECU on N/A model is not locked
See if you can chat with Chett he said he is going to check if he can get the Rom info so he would be able to assist if that is the case

Also if you have a issue turn the air con on it also starts the fans on low speed

Ah Ok I see you are in Western Cape
There is a Marius and Brent there that does NA tuning
I advise you join the Whatsapp group then you chat to the guys they can give you contact info
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 01:23:44 PM by Veneficus »

August 03, 2019, 06:41:16 PM
Reply #12

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
I am on that whatsapp group...

Will get hold of Brent, I think he is close by.....
I was actually going to build something with an Arduino, to monitor the temp, sound alarm, manage fans in parallel to ECU,....( I might still do that anyway..)
Brackenfell, W'Cape