Author Topic: 2014 XV Valve Spring Failure at 133 000km  (Read 123 times)

August 28, 2019, 07:22:10 PM
Read 123 times

Antman9301

• View Profile
    • Email
HI All,
I own a 2014 XV, CVT and would like to know if any of you know about or have had a similar experience with the 2.0 XV engine. I have owned my XV from new and have had it serviced regularly even after the maintenance plan and warantee ran out. I did not take out an extended plan (big mistake in hindsight). and the engine suffered significant damage at 133 000km.

Engine type           :      FB 20
Head type              :      AP 20
Valve type inlet           :      E 3
Vale type exhaust   :      I 31

One of the two valve springs in cylinder number 2 failed catastrophically resulting in the valve head breaking off in the combustion chamber and the remains of the spring and retaining clips falling off inside the tappet cover area. This resulted in the car immediately coming to a standstill.
The valve head caused significant damage to the piston and the associated head as well as the remaining valves as well as the block and the repair costs are going to be high.

Since the failure I have been researching the recalls on these cars and it seems there was a massive problem with valve spring failures that was remedied in 2013 with a report from Subaru stating that Vehicles after 2013 'should' not have the same problem. I am not sure if these failures made their way to South Africa and hence this note to try and gauge if i am alone in this. If i compare the broken valve spring to those available on the web where these failures have occurred then i can see a striking resemblance to the mode of failure as well as the coloring on the ends of the spring in fact it looks identical.

My car had been battling to start for at least the last 30 000km especially when it was hot and this started while it was still under the maintenance plan and the fault could not be detected and remedied by my dealer since it was intermittent however in hindsight i think it is possible to detect that a valve spring is starting to fail.

The valve spring failure seems to be as a result of a crack that would propagate over time until a point is reached where the spring would finally snap in two leaving the valve free to drop and make contact with the piston. The crack in the spring body would cause the spring tension to reduce and so this would lead to poor compression in the associated combustion chamber and this would lead to starting problems.

Regards,
Ant.

August 28, 2019, 09:41:35 PM
Reply #1

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Ant,

I know nothing about the XV and it's problems or not.

The way I see it, you should have a fighting chance with a claim, as we(RSA) often lag a year or so behind the rest of the world when it comes to registering a car model. I have no proof of this, and will prob get some flack about it.

If you complained about the starting issues at the dealers, and had the car serviced there, they should have picked something up, especially if the valve spring issue was a known problem, which it seems it was.

You may want to seek legal advice (if your side is "clean") ....

First, talk to the dealer and try to convince them (which you probably did already), then go to step 2 (legal action).

Good luck
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

August 29, 2019, 09:00:44 AM
Reply #2

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
HI All,
I own a 2014 XV, CVT and would like to know if any of you know about or have had a similar experience with the 2.0 XV engine. I have owned my XV from new and have had it serviced regularly even after the maintenance plan and warantee ran out. I did not take out an extended plan (big mistake in hindsight). and the engine suffered significant damage at 133 000km.

Engine type           :      FB 20
Head type              :      AP 20
Valve type inlet           :      E 3
Vale type exhaust   :      I 31

One of the two valve springs in cylinder number 2 failed catastrophically resulting in the valve head breaking off in the combustion chamber and the remains of the spring and retaining clips falling off inside the tappet cover area. This resulted in the car immediately coming to a standstill.
The valve head caused significant damage to the piston and the associated head as well as the remaining valves as well as the block and the repair costs are going to be high.

Since the failure I have been researching the recalls on these cars and it seems there was a massive problem with valve spring failures that was remedied in 2013 with a report from Subaru stating that Vehicles after 2013 'should' not have the same problem. I am not sure if these failures made their way to South Africa and hence this note to try and gauge if i am alone in this. If i compare the broken valve spring to those available on the web where these failures have occurred then i can see a striking resemblance to the mode of failure as well as the coloring on the ends of the spring in fact it looks identical.

My car had been battling to start for at least the last 30 000km especially when it was hot and this started while it was still under the maintenance plan and the fault could not be detected and remedied by my dealer since it was intermittent however in hindsight i think it is possible to detect that a valve spring is starting to fail.

The valve spring failure seems to be as a result of a crack that would propagate over time until a point is reached where the spring would finally snap in two leaving the valve free to drop and make contact with the piston. The crack in the spring body would cause the spring tension to reduce and so this would lead to poor compression in the associated combustion chamber and this would lead to starting problems.

Regards,
Ant.

this is the first of this case i have heard in SA of this problem, specially for the XV - not sure who your dealer is/was - unfortunately i don't see them covering the repair, they might contribute but they won't cover the entire repair.

have you received an estimate for the repair yet?
Mine:
2014 Ford Ranger Double Cab
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

September 02, 2019, 06:33:21 PM
Reply #3

Antman9301

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi All,
So 4 weeks on and still no end in sight. The repair costs are now in the order of R74000 excluding labour. So the parts needed: -
1. one new short block
2. one piston and conrod, and
3. one head complete

And no news of Subaru coming to the party either.

Regards,
Ant