Author Topic: My forester XT is losing allot of water  (Read 125 times)

September 01, 2019, 03:13:19 PM
Read 125 times

Wollie

• View Profile
    • Email
Good day

I have a problem with my car that it is losing allot of water and i can not figure out where.
There is bubbles in the coolant in the radiator if the car is running and that tells me top gasket but the car is not smoking in any way and it still pulls like a train.
I have to refill every time i drive somewhere and for that reason the car have been standing for a year now.

I need advice on what to check and where to check it please?

September 01, 2019, 04:42:05 PM
Reply #1

Subifan

• View Profile
    • Email
Have you checked the oil for water, also have you checked the radiator for signs of exhaust gas?

September 02, 2019, 12:10:36 AM
Reply #2

Wollie

• View Profile
    • Email
Oil is perfect, no water.

And if the car is running there are some bubbles in the water.

My assumption is that a top gasket is on the way out but i am really not sure.

September 02, 2019, 08:46:12 AM
Reply #3

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
Take it for a HG test. Any Silverton or in fact any reputable radiator repair place should have the kit. Chemical test for carbons in the water.
If HG then budget about R15-20k to fix.
Forester XT 2008 MT
TD04, STi IC, 76mm DP, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Intent Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.5

September 02, 2019, 01:20:28 PM
Reply #4

Wollie

• View Profile
    • Email
To do a HG test the closest place is about 400km.

If the HG have not really failed yet cant you just change the HG? What other repairs can be expected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

September 02, 2019, 05:55:12 PM
Reply #5

Subifan

• View Profile
    • Email
The reality is that if the water in the radiator is bubbling when the engine is running the chances are its almost 100% a leaking head gasket. Have you tried smelling the bubbles whilst the water is still coolish, stick your nose over the radiator opening and see if you can smell exhaust gasses, if you can then its the head gasket that's gone. Don't try this if the bubbles are steam.

Another check is to look at the spark plugs, sometimes the plug in the leaking cylinder is cleaner than the others (steam cleaned), you could also stick a camera in the plug holes and see what you can see. All this effort is worthwhile if it can save you R20k for new gaskets.

If it is definitely not a leaking gasket I have no idea of what the problem could be that causes bubbles and water loss when the engine is running.