Author Topic: Forester problems  (Read 434 times)

November 15, 2019, 08:51:30 PM
Read 434 times

jay6454

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Guys

I'm hoping to get get some help from other owners. After lusting/wishing/praying to own one for a long long time things finally came together and i was able to afford buying a 2007 Forester Xt auto.....cheaply. White in colour and has just over 220k on the odo. Was very well looked after cosmetically and looks pretty new. Mechanically it's so-so at best, but beggars cant be choosers. Motor runs very smoothly and gear changes are soft and gentle. I've only owned the car for a few days and I love it so much the wife feels jealous. It has a few problems though which im praying wont be too expensive to sort out as my budget is tiny. I have to admit i dont know all that much about car mechanics, but love cars in general, i just dont know how to fix them and I cant really afford them breaking. I bought a Forester because it's what i wanted and I love it like a second child and it has an ageless to it with character . I live in the Pietermaritzburg area about 40km from town but I dont know the area all that well as i only moved here fairly recently.

ok, so problems  :'(
1. Car overheats for no reason sometimes, not following any pattern. I can be going fast or slow, high revs or cruising, heavy load or not, etc. Sometimes i can drive for a couple of hours with no problems and then suddenly there goes the temp gauge skywards. Sometimes the radiator is boiling hot and sometimes it's not. Sometimes the right side is cool-ish and the left is boiling. The fans are both working, doesnt look to be losing water much. Overflow tank has water in it. Going to do a full radiator flush tomorrow as the water looks a little dirty and will do a test on the Thermo. Hopefully it sorts it.   
2. Engine check light is always on with the cruise light blinking, i have no idea what that means except that the handbook says take it to a dealer. I wont be able to afford dealers so i have a problem. What i've read on the forum I dont truly understand and things like ODII i dont know what that is/means or does sorry. 
3. Cruise control doesnt work and pushing the button on the lever doesn't do anything. The light just mocks me by blinking all the time. 
4. Aircon doesnt work, might be needing gas though. I will try to find somewhere to take it for a check next week. I am hoping it's gas only.
5. When accelerating, it 'feels' like the car is pulling strongly, but not as fast as I thought it would be mind you. Also it's only in 1st and second gear, in 3rd it's so so and in 4th its dead. If i put my foot flat at 100km/h in 4th it doesn't accelerate at all.  It will pull strongly in first then when changing into second there's almost nothing for what feels like a pretty long time and only then it starts hauling again. Sometimes it hauls in first but then falls flat on it's face when it changes into second. = I've also noticed that Sometimes when putting my foot down the rev counter would sometimes drop slightly during acceleration and sometimes it would jump about 150 - 200rpm. I must admit when it Does haul hard in first and second i have The biggest smile on my face and i am happy as can be.   
6. Needs new shocks as it wallows around a bit and the nose lifts and dives when accelerating and braking. I dont think it's supposed to be like that?
7. Brakes feel pretty dead and I have to stomp the pedal into the ground basically to make it stop. Might need new brakepads?

I would love to let someone that knows how the car Should feel drive it so they can give me their opinion as maybe it pulls like it should.

I've never owned a turbo petrol car so i dont know what to expect really.   
Like i said I dont know much about engine's so really not sure what the deal is with all the above problems. My father in law is a mechanic but very much old school so he's hesitant to do anything more than basics for me with the XT so i will need to find someone around Pmb probably. I knew going into the deal that the car has a few problems like the AC and the engine check thing, but wanted it badly and hoped for the best. The other problems i only found out later. Service history on the car is only up to 135k as per the service book so i have no idea what has been done since then. I do know it needs a service and the cambelt and waterpump just by reading it here on the forum, but will have to save up a little first before that can be done.

At the moment im not really driving it as Im too scared it overheats again and causes big damage.

Even with all the problems i cant help but be happy to see it parked in the drive way and i really hope i can get it sorted so I can start enjoying it even more.

Any advice will be appreciated thanks guys :-)

Jay

November 17, 2019, 09:51:15 PM
Reply #1

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Newbie "jay6454"

Congrats on the car, but without pics we really believe you actually have a Fozzie.

Your problems:
Cruise light blinking and Engine light on = there is some problem = car runs in "limp mode", to protect the engine.
Cruise control will not work, again, to protect the engine

Get the code read, clear the code, dive the car and see if problem comes back, read code again, then post again here to see if anyone here can help.

In the meantime, also flush the radiator (as per the flushing instructions - no short-cuts), refill with new antifreeze(not the cheapest one from the "guy around the corner") + distilled water, get all the air out (the XT's have more "burping" points than the NA's.
Also good idea (and not expensive) to replace thermostat and radiator cap. Get these from SSA, not the "guy around the corner".
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

November 18, 2019, 07:38:04 AM
Reply #2

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Bern's statements is correct
For the over heating issue flush the system and insure that you allow it to get the air out before closing up 100%

That "Ocasional" over heats is usually caused by air in the system
This can be caused by leak somewhere but could also have been the radiator cap being opened at wrong time.
It could also be caused by faulty radiator caps so before flushing buy new radiator caps just in case

flush properly and follow the steps and then monitor
2007 2.5XT Manual (and boy did I have to search for manual one)

November 19, 2019, 11:42:33 AM
Reply #3

jay6454

• View Profile
    • Email
HI Again guys

thanks a million for the info.

Did the radiator the past weekend and found the Thermo doesnt work so removed it and haven''t had any over heating since then, but to be honest haven't really had a proper chance to take it  out for more than 20 mins at a time. Hopefully i can drive to town later today so will have a look. Next time when I'm town I will go past Subaru and get a new Thermo. Checked the caps they are working as they should.

Still need to get the codes sorted and checked but at least there's some progress.

Need to also mentioned that when I say ''I'', I really mean my father in law the mechanic. He's willing to do the basics for me like brakepads and the like, but for more complicated things I will have to find someone.

Thanks again for the help ;-)

P.S some pics attached, had to drive up a really muddy section of road over the weekend where everybody else got stuck and went sailing up without any drama. Loving the car more and more everytime I see it.

November 19, 2019, 01:12:01 PM
Reply #4

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Good idea to get the Thermostat replaced instead of just removing it
It is better for the Engine :)

Where are you based?
Looks like it might be CPT then you could try Pyro performance for assistance

Edit: oh wait your reg is GP
You can try WHP
You can call Grant on 0746425768
They can check what error is on the code and assist with other work
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 01:15:02 PM by Veneficus »

November 19, 2019, 04:15:12 PM
Reply #5

jay6454

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi V

Im actually in KZN in Pietermaritzburg.

Also, just got the aircon checked out and regassed and its working fine.

I know theres a Subaru dealer in town so will give them a call and find out costs etc.

Im hoping its not too serious but will have to wait and see i suppose

November 20, 2019, 10:45:18 AM
Reply #6

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi V

I know theres a Subaru dealer in town so will give them a call and find out costs etc.

Pietermaritzburg is one of the better dealers in KZN - family owned and run. Speak to Mark Christie - you can tell him JP from Subaru Cape Town reffered you. He'll sort you out quickly.

Good Luck.
Mine:
2014 Ford Ranger Double Cab
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

November 20, 2019, 12:16:48 PM
Reply #7

jay6454

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks JPC will do 

November 20, 2019, 01:03:31 PM
Reply #8

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi V

Hehehehe Ok so you did reverse from what I did
I bought my Forester in Durban and drove it up to Gauteng "
Reason was it took me 3 months to find manual one at the time :)
Have a good one

November 20, 2019, 07:23:48 PM
Reply #9

jay6454

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi guys

So i had the codes checked.

This is what the machine says (pic)

No clue what it means so google here i come  ::)

November 28, 2019, 05:15:36 PM
Reply #10

jay6454

• View Profile
    • Email
So we removed the sensor and this is what it looks like. I cant see a parts nr on it so im not sure which one to order. Anyone know the part nr? I saw some on bidorbuy from a guy called Durbankrys for about R1600, but im not positive its the same type. Mine has 8 little holes per side.

Subaru pmb says R4700 for a new one which i cant afford

Pic attached

November 29, 2019, 11:05:50 AM
Reply #11

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

November 29, 2019, 08:52:53 PM
Reply #12

Bravofox

• Just another Member

• View Profile
    • Email

- you can tell him JP from Subaru Cape Town reffered you. He'll sort you out quickly.

Good Luck.
Bly om te hoor jy is weer terug by hulle... :-)
-ex- 2015 Outback 3.6R-S
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Wagon.
-ex -2009 SH XT A/T
-ex- 2009 SG9 XT Premium Manual
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Manual
-ex- 2002 Legacy 2.5GX A/T

December 02, 2019, 11:40:50 AM
Reply #14

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email

- you can tell him JP from Subaru Cape Town reffered you. He'll sort you out quickly.

Good Luck.
Bly om te hoor jy is weer terug by hulle... :-)

nee my maat - nie terug nie!! my trade dae is klaar - sal nie maklik terug kan gaan nie. hopeloos te bederf met my huidige werk.

8) ;D
Mine:
2014 Ford Ranger Double Cab
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask