Author Topic: December Holidays (2019)  (Read 50 times)

February 12, 2020, 08:38:44 PM
Read 50 times

Outbacker

• View Profile
    • Email
December holidays……..

This year my wife and I bravely waded into the waters of camping with two small children, and what an experience it was!

We decided to rent a Bushlapa Miskuier from the friendly people of Bushlapa in Paarl, but there was a challenge……no code EB  drivers licence. This meant redoing my drivers license, and I ended up doing my test at Milnerton in a massive deluge of rain.
With shot nerves I manage to pass and the road to December holidays all of a sudden seemed much simpler. If you want to go for some driving classes, Henri from Alpha driving school is your man!

Duly we collected the caravan from the factory in Paarl, and drove it home to get it all loaded up. I have towed before in the past, but never a caravan and never this far. The Outback made my life easy though. The reverse camera made it super easy to hitch up, and the combination of the Diesel engine and CVT gearbox meant you were never caught in the wrong gear, or outside the power band.

We headed north for our first few days of camping at Malkoppan camping grounds. The heat was massive (40deg +), and some long hills wih A/C running max, the car never broke sweat, and the heat gauge not moving on bit away from it’s normal position.
After celebrating Christmas next to the sea, we headed inland to the Cederberg and made our way to Jamaka camping grounds.

Gravel roads, water crossings and finally a steep gravel track down the camping ground posed no problem after deflating the tyres slightly, otherwise we would have rattled to bits. We spent the week there until our one year old son got sick unfortunately, and headed back to Woodstock on the 1st of January.
After the steep climb out of the campsite was dealt with, we drove to the N7 and pointed the Outback’s nose back in the direction of Cape Town.

When it was all said and done, we averaged around 11.2l/100km towing the caravan at about 100km/h.

The car and caravan impressed in equal measure, and I can highly recommend renting the Miskruier caravan. It sleeps a family of 4 easily, and has all the things you might need for camping.

In a couple of years when the children are a bit older, we will be tackling it again, for sure!

February 12, 2020, 08:40:09 PM
Reply #1

Outbacker

• View Profile
    • Email