Author Topic: King Springs imports  (Read 3410 times)

May 02, 2012, 06:38:28 PM
Read 3410 times

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi guys
I've searched and eventually found upgraded springs for my Foz: King Springs in Oz.
Am planning to bring in a full set.  They quoted me Au$319 for the 2 pairs (front/rear), ex works.  Haven't got a quote for freight, etc, but I've estimated +20% for freight, 20% import duty and 14% VAT, at R8.1/Au$, giving me R4,250 for the set of 4.  This seems to be well below eg OME pricing locally (aside from the fact that they dont even list Subaru).

King Springs have springs for
X/XS:
MY99-01: F&R: Lowered, Std, Raised
MY03-08: F: Lowered, Raised, R: Lowered, Std, Raised
MY09-10: F&R: Std only*
XT:
MY08+: F&R: Std only

*"Std" will apparently give 10mm lift due to less sagging from the car's weight
(the catalogue is too big to attach)

SO:
What I want to know is: are any of you seriously interested in spring upgrades? Ie, we can pool our orders to split the freight cost and save a bit. Saving freight will also reduce the import duty and VAT!
pm me if you're serious, I want to place my order asap, so I can be ready for my Lesotho trip in Aug!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:34:37 AM by Steve »
Current: S-edition 2011 Steel Silver (S-exy young thing) - Forged, Chett tjooned, 76mm s/s wrapped DP, King Springs, 225/60/17 G012s, Sump & AT guards, cheap mud flaps, HID fogs, LED parks.
Ex:        2.5X man 2010 Pearl White (Dirty Girl) - LSS lift, 235/60/16 G012s, Sump guard, HIDs and more..

May 09, 2012, 08:43:48 AM
Reply #1

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Great idea and the price is pretty good too.

Spings will give a substantial lift compared to the older sagged springs. They are heavy duty so there should be way less sag when loaded.
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

May 22, 2012, 08:51:20 PM
Reply #2

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
OK, I'm placing the order on Monday - anyone want in, pm me, I'll check my inbox on Sun eve, when we're back from Moz... R&R time...heheheeeee....
Current: S-edition 2011 Steel Silver (S-exy young thing) - Forged, Chett tjooned, 76mm s/s wrapped DP, King Springs, 225/60/17 G012s, Sump & AT guards, cheap mud flaps, HID fogs, LED parks.
Ex:        2.5X man 2010 Pearl White (Dirty Girl) - LSS lift, 235/60/16 G012s, Sump guard, HIDs and more..

August 08, 2012, 06:21:08 PM
Reply #3

varadero

westcoaster did you import a set of Kings?

August 20, 2012, 09:44:02 PM
Reply #4

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
finally got round to it again - will try to make payment tomorrow and then wait for my springy things!

September 21, 2012, 07:27:41 PM
Reply #5

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email

April 02, 2013, 05:13:53 PM
Reply #6

DerrickA

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: westcoaster;6995
They arrived!
http://www.foresterforum.co.za/showthread.php?p=6994#post6994

Hi Westcoaster
I've just come across your posts re Kings springs, and now that you've had them a while, wondered whether you would share your impressions, and some of the details regarding the purchase process.
E.g.
  • how has your ride changed
  • did the standard Kings springs provide any lift
  • has load bearing ability improved (if you carry full loads)
  • was the alignment affected
  • are you satisfied with the results
  • who did you order from (manufacturer, Oz dealer?) If your order and delivery went well, it would make sense to use the same means.
  • what did the freight, duty, and other charges come to
  • how long did it take from order to delivery

I have a 2007 Forester XS, and as seems common, the self levelling (SLS) rear shocks packed up at low kms, and recently it has started bottoming severely on dirt roads when we are loaded up for camping trips.  So I think the SLS shocks are failing again.

We are planning a Botswana / Nam trip later in the year, and my thoughts are going towards replacing the rear shocks with the standard ones, together with upgraded springs to cater for heavily loaded trips.
In fact, I am wondering whether to go for the raised Kings springs, which I see are not available for the later model Foresters.

I would really your feedback, and comments from anyone else that has had similar experience.

Hope all had a safe and good Easter long weekend.
The road is long, with many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where, who knows where...
* SG Forester 2.5 XS 2007 Manual - Urban grey
* Aluminium bash plate,
* Yoko AT/S tyres (standard size)
* Rear SLS shocks replaced  with standard X shocks and coils

July 09, 2015, 02:43:26 AM
Reply #7

Dr E

• View Profile
    • Email
Westcoaster

I am also considering changing to King springs. Could you give me the link to their website. When I google I am taken to an American website.

Thanks

Dr E

July 09, 2015, 08:02:15 AM
Reply #8

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi (Derrick, apologies, not sure if I ever responded to you on pm...?)

I had posted some info and pics on my showroom page in 2013 (but pics were deleted by admin... *coughStevecough*) and I'm pretty sure I posted some feedback on the Kings somewhere, but perhaps this is a more natural place for it, so here goes:

"I got them from http://www.kingsprings.com/.
They have an online brochure (fronts & rears are separate products).  I remember for the SH they only have/had the "std" springs, but these apparently give abt 10mm lift, due to higher load rating (= less sag).  They cost me abt R6,400 R4,500 for the set of 4, including import cost & local duties (which was abt R1,200 20%) in 2011/2012.  I chose delivery via cheapest option (ship), took abt 4 weeks and got delivered to my local Post Office.
They do come in plastic-dipped yellow, but I sprayed on some primer and matt black.  The spray does chip off a bit, but if the fitters aren't too rough, you won't notice."

They are definitely firmer than OEM - the springs are bit thicker.  They therefore also give a tiny bit of lift.  I had measured my clearance long after installation and the 10mm they told me about, seems about right.  I noticed the ride is a bit firmer, but the wife didn't.  I also think the handling at the rear is a bit better as a result.  Loaded sag is definitely less - helps a lot when loaded on a trip and dealing with high 'middelmannetjies' on sand tracks.
After 2-3 years and 50,000km, the black paint hasn't really chipped off noticeably, so no one will notice the difference.

Is it worth (by now, probably R7-8k) imported?
Depends on your off-road use ratio.  If the upwardly adjustable coilovers aren't much more $$$, then perhaps I'd go for that, as you can also play with angles, especially the rear would help.  At the time I was looking, there was a significant cost difference - springs were Au$320+shipping = Au$390 + duties & VAT = R4,500 vs coilovers for abt R9k. Assuming 4% price increase x3 years and R11/Au$ = ca.R6,600 now.  Coilovers must be >R10k now?

November 02, 2015, 09:56:05 AM
Reply #9

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
What's these "coilovers"?
Post a pic please, 'cause I'm confused

I'm really confused here. You say change to coil overs. The way i understand it, the Fozzies ( i think all Subarus) are fitted with coil overs? (Variation of the McPherson strut?)

Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

November 02, 2015, 10:33:59 AM
Reply #10

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
This is coilovers

November 02, 2015, 11:15:12 AM
Reply #11

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
My point exactly. We do have coilovers already, so we can't switch to coilovers?
Brackenfell, W'Cape

November 02, 2015, 11:53:43 AM
Reply #12

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Those are height adjustable

November 02, 2015, 02:16:45 PM
Reply #13

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Oke,  :) now I understand.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Brackenfell, W'Cape

November 02, 2015, 02:27:40 PM
Reply #14

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Dis ook hoekom hulle so duur is. Maar ek twyfel sterk of hulle van grondpad hou.