Author Topic: BC Racing Coil overs  (Read 7453 times)

November 28, 2014, 09:06:38 AM
Reply #105

sav

• View Profile
Looks like it's a bit of a dark art - browse 10 forums and you'll get 100 opinions. Most that I've seen for various different brands of coilovers were like described in the Meggan Racing pdf, I'm not sur what would make BC any different?

Not saying you're wrong I just need to understand the reasoning behind adding 4 or 5mm preload on BC specifically?
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

April 06, 2015, 10:44:47 AM
Reply #106

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
So the coil-overs to order are the BC BR with 5kg front and 3kg rear springs.

I've done 12k km so far on my Coil overs and still pretty happy with them. I usually run them at about 4 clicks in for comfort and 8-10 clicks in for the twisties. I've set them back to 1 click in and the car does not feel as glued to the road.

ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

April 06, 2015, 11:52:08 AM
Reply #107

sav

• View Profile
So the coil-overs to order are the BC BR with 5kg front and 3kg rear springs.

I've done 12k km so far on my Coil overs and still pretty happy with them. I usually run them at about 4 clicks in for comfort and 8-10 clicks in for the twisties. I've set them back to 1 click in and the car does not feel as glued to the road.
That is exactly what I'm running if I remember correctly. Not sure about the clicks though, are you running same front and rear? I think Chett mentioned it should be a bit more at the rear.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

April 06, 2015, 12:05:31 PM
Reply #108

sav

• View Profile
Confirmed, BC BR Type RA with 5kg front and 3kg rear.

Also re-fitted the 24mm Whiteline rear swaybar but this time on its softest setting. Seems to be a good compromise.

May 06, 2015, 08:24:17 PM
Reply #109

sav

• View Profile
I've decided to try something a bit more "extreme" - 19 clicks front and 15 rear. What a difference!! It feels firmer but better in every other way.

Forgot to set it back to soft for the breakfast run. Wasn't ideal at all, but for tar it's just right.

May 07, 2015, 11:58:00 AM
Reply #110

F4RS1D3

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
    • Email
I am not sure what my BC spring rates are but I assume 8kg & 6kg like the WRX/STI setup.
Was not aware there was a choice when I bought them...

Anyway for daily I drive on 0 clicks (softest) and it is still little uncomfortable at low speeds.  Bumps, potholes etc are amplified much like a pogo-stick  :P

I set it up to 16-20 clicks (out of 24) for track use and they are great on track.
"Life is a journey, enjoy the ride"
04 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT, 219kW (Pyro tuned TD05H-18GTX)
03 Legacy 2.0 GT 5EAT (OEM claimed 171kW...)
16 XV 2.0 CVT

May 07, 2015, 01:30:32 PM
Reply #111

Manfred

• View Profile
    • Email
Tis a good looking Foz you have there F4RS1D3
Pretoria

2011 XT Sportshift
2013 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost (Turbo Triple)

September 07, 2017, 12:29:30 PM
Reply #112

Subifan

• View Profile
    • Email
I have recently installed a full set of BC V1 VM coilovers on my SG XT. I ordered "softer" ones and got 7kg/mm front coil-overs and 5kg/mm rear. The car was initially set up with a 25 mm drop in the front and 15mm in the rear (Seldom do off-road or gravel roads now) and had the front camber set at the maximum recommended -ve camber of 0.5deg. Rear set up as recommended. Did this to dial out some of the under-steer. (might even dial in some +ve Camber at the rear if possible at some stage.

Ride is slightly choppier than original, I think, but my wife thinks it's softer, so I'm not sure - but it is perfectly acceptable to both of us.

Shocks are set at 1 click from fully soft at rear and 5 clicks at front - I initially found that 1 click at front seemed to increase bounce so jumped to 5 but I am playing with that and will be dialing back slowly back to 1.

Handling has been totally transformed and is awesome - Turn in is as sharp as a pin Compared to before - sometimes catch myself over steering into the corner with car heading for the inner curb and have to dial back on the steering some - tyre squeal has vanished and roll is noticeably less (It's certainly a lot easier to hit the apex now). Haven't pushed it hard yet as am building my feel for the limits - something you have to be cautious with on public roads (also build up my non-driver wife's level of security but notice she doesn't brake as much in the passenger seat). Under-steer is significantly reduced and I suspect that on the track gentle four wheel drifts might be achievable.

I can just imagine how much grip she will have when I change from my 115000 km Michelin SUV tyres to new Potenza RE002's

Next phase is to drive it a while, re-set ride heights and play with shock settings.

I am so happy I made the change.

September 07, 2017, 12:35:00 PM
Reply #113

sav

• View Profile
Glad you're happy. They've replaced RE002 with RE003, very good tyres.

September 08, 2017, 06:34:26 AM
Reply #114

Garrsie

• View Profile
    • Email
+1 on the Potenzas being excellent. I'm on BC RAs (probably 30mm drop all round) and 245/45/18 Re002s and the car's grip far exceeds my courage on public roads. Need to get to the track one of these days.
2006 Forester XT, Wiseco pistons, 18"A-line Racer wheels, Bridgestone re002, VF48, '07 STi IC, 76mm exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Mishimoto inlet pipe, Phenolic intake spacers, Gizmo Electronic Boost Controller, TGV deletes. BC RA Coilovers, Brembo big Calipers, PB RS 326mm Discs, Coolboost WMI