Author Topic: New articles  (Read 3249 times)

September 05, 2012, 10:52:04 AM
Reply #15

kaspaas

• View Profile
    • Email
With all due respect, I believe that Car’s road test figures are much more trustworthy than any other person’s drive-impressions on some internet site. And I am not the biggest fan of Hannes Oosthuizen. There is a huge difference in taking a loan vehicle for a few days and writing an impression – completely subjective in my opinion. Car does proper road tests with expensive equipment. Sure there is a subjective part to their roadtest, but the test figures tell the true story. Also remember they test with a full tank of fuel, 2 people and all the test equipment inside the car if you want to compare to overseas figures. I hear you all say they tested a “bad” unit. But that means that there is a chance that I can go out and also buy a “bad” unit. And in any case, I am not convinced that the difference between a “good” and “bad” XV will ever be more than 10% - that is still a lethargic 12+ s 0-100 time. Just flip through the back of Car mag and see how overpriced the XV is compared to the competition! My Juke is more than R70k less than the XV…

September 05, 2012, 01:29:10 PM
Reply #16

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
luckily taste differs, imagine everybody driving the same car - life would be boring.

i'm not trying to persuade you to buy a XV either, all i asked was if you have taken time to test drive the XV.

do yourself the favour, take it for a short drive - i have driven the juke and that did not impress me at all, then again i'm not a nissan fan at all.;)
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

September 05, 2012, 01:31:56 PM
Reply #17

kaspaas

• View Profile
    • Email
I will go and test drive the XV when I am close to a Subaru dealer again, but my concerns about lethargic performance still stands. What were your impressions regarding the Juke, just curious?

September 05, 2012, 01:45:15 PM
Reply #18

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
the one i went and tested was red, nice looking red as i have some kind of liking for red cars, the inside plastics was the same color red as outisde, immediately put me off, the car had only done 600km and already there was a massive scratch on the red plastic inside the car.

same problem as the XV - too small for me. looks of the juke is also a concern for me. one of those where you either like it or hate it.
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

September 05, 2012, 03:54:24 PM
Reply #19

kaspaas

• View Profile
    • Email

September 05, 2012, 09:33:33 PM
Reply #20

PaulC

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm sorry kaasplaas, but if this were a general forum I would actually accuse you of trolling.

Those of us who have driven the XV for more than  a small trip around the block, know damned well that the CAR road test was a load of unrepresentative bollocks.

The fact that you can apparently tell the difference between a car that does 0-100 in 10.3 seconds, and one that does it in 9.5, means that your actual driving experience is limited to reading the stats page on CAR magazine.

Please don't try pulling that stunt if you want any credibility in my eyes.

As has been suggested....DRIVE the car, and if you need convincing, get a loan car for a couple of days and drive it under normal driving conditions. And then pass your judgement.

I cannot stand armchair critics of ANY car, that the "critic" has not driven extensively themselves. If you are prepared to write a car off  on a public forum such as this,  based on a highly negative road test, WITHOUT driving the car yourself, you are simply making a nuisance of yourself, quite frankly, and obviously hoping for some attention.

You have my attention. Now please back off, drive the car over a period and come back with JUSTIFIABLE criticism.

Until then your words are but hollow meaningless drivel.
3 Outbacks in a row :D
Currently 2006 Forester 2.5 X

September 06, 2012, 07:53:08 AM
Reply #21

kaspaas

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: PaulC;6606
I'm sorry kaasplaas, but if this were a general forum I would actually accuse you of trolling.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
PaulC, please don’t degenerate this thread into a personal attack – the idea is to discuss the virtues (or lack thereof) of the Subaru XV.
Those of us who have driven the XV for more than a small trip around the block, know damned well that the CAR road test was a load of unrepresentative bollocks.[/FONT][/COLOR]
The fact that you can apparently tell the difference between a car that does 0-100 in 10.3 seconds, and one that does it in 9.5, means that your actual driving experience is limited to reading the stats page on CAR magazine.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
Paul in all honesty, even if the XV is a lovely drive, it is still overpriced against the competition, slow and small on the inside. You are missing the point. Where does the 10.3 s vs 9.5 s come in? If you are referring to the Juke, Car tested one 0-100 in 8.28 seconds. That difference is definitely noticeable.
Please don't try pulling that stunt if you want any credibility in my eyes.[/FONT][/COLOR]
As has been suggested....DRIVE the car, and if you need convincing, get a loan car for a couple of days and drive it under normal driving conditions. And then pass your judgement.
I cannot stand armchair critics of ANY car, that the "critic" has not driven extensively themselves. If you are prepared to write a car off on a public forum such as this, based on a highly negative road test, WITHOUT driving the car yourself, you are simply making a nuisance of yourself, quite frankly, and obviously hoping for some attention.
You have my attention. Now please back off, drive the car over a period and come back with JUSTIFIABLE criticism.
Until then your words are but hollow meaningless drivel.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
I will go and drive the XV sometime, but that is not going to change it into a good buy. PaulC, personal attacks are uncalled for. The point I am trying to make is that some people are blindly patriotic about a brand, without critically looking at the individual merits of a model. “In die land van die blindes is die eenoog koning”. A quick flip through the back of any motoring mag will indicate that the XV is not a good buy logically speaking, it is at least R50k-R70k overpriced imho. If the XV is your personal preference, by all means go out and buy one. Just don’t tout it as a good buy, logically speaking, on a public forum.  I love Alfa Romeos, but I won’t really suggest that someone goes out and buy one because it is a good package…

September 06, 2012, 10:05:48 AM
Reply #22

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
This thread is turning into "days of our lives" stuff.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

September 06, 2012, 10:18:13 AM
Reply #23

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: LoopSoosStroop;6613

hahah :)
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

September 06, 2012, 10:38:18 AM
Reply #24

kaspaas

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: LoopSoosStroop;6613

Lss, you keen to come and testdrive a xv with me maybe on Sat? Anyone knows which dealer has a xv demo?

September 06, 2012, 10:55:16 AM
Reply #25

stofstreep

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm not trying to be funny, but I literally get the automatic gag reflex when I see a Juke.

Every time!!
Driving a Subaru is all about passion. If you want logic buy a toyota.
Broom! BROOOOOOM!

2005 XT The Vicious Orange

September 06, 2012, 11:04:37 AM
Reply #26

kaspaas

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: stofstreep;6617
I'm not trying to be funny, but I literally get the automatic gag reflex when I see a Juke.

Every time!!
Driving a Subaru is all about passion. If you want logic buy a toyota.

Hahahahaaa! Yes the Juke has controversial styling but I love mine! At least you won't need to look at it for very long, they tend to pass the new generation Subarus rather quickly...

September 06, 2012, 11:33:30 AM
Reply #27

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Quote from: kaspaas;6616
Lss, you keen to come and testdrive a xv with me maybe on Sat? Anyone knows which dealer has a xv demo?

Sat oggend moet ek bietjie probeer vorder met my paving.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

September 06, 2012, 12:02:43 PM
Reply #28

stofstreep

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: kaspaas;6618
Hahahahaaa! Yes the Juke has controversial styling but I love mine! At least you won't need to look at it for very long, they tend to pass the new generation Subarus rather quickly...

Hehe! its true!
I do look in the rear-view mirror that often! :p
Broom! BROOOOOOM!

2005 XT The Vicious Orange

September 06, 2012, 05:19:27 PM
Reply #29

Bravofox

• Just another Member

• View Profile
    • Email
In my opinion the Juke is also "ugly", but I love it!
I test drove the 1.6 Turbo and  really liked it.
Test drove the XV and did not like it powerwise. Mind you, a 2.5X/XS also frustrates the crap out of me.
If Subaru put the FA20 engine (same as BRZ) in the XV, that will be really something else to drive. I love the idea of the 147kw N/A 2 litre!
2015 Outback 3.6R-S
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Wagon.
-ex -2009 SH XT A/T
-ex- 2009 SG9 XT Premium Manual
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Manual
-ex- 2002 Legacy 2.5GX A/T