Author Topic: Potential Outback buyer  (Read 3452 times)

October 22, 2012, 09:48:53 AM
Reply #15

Subaru Southern Africa

Quote from: OBone;7191
Hi to all.

I am looking at upgrading my current vehicle to something more fuel effiecent. ;) currently have a Discovery 2 V8 so even an Outback with an alleged thirst will be a bit more frugal. I have grown up with Land Rover turbo diesels and changed to the V8 because I always wanted a V8. Now the itch is scratched very nicely with my petrol card. Think of it this way an outback should half my petrol bill :eek:

I also realized I very seldom go for trail driving. We only need real solid axle articulation if we go and look for it. Some camping, some dirt roads. Mostly I do urban driving 5km to work and back. Out of town once a month or so.

I have no reason to choose the Outback over the Forester, personal preference. I am struggling with the choice between 2.5 and 3.0
What I need to know is the following:

What is the real world fuel consumption between the two? According to Subaru they are equal???
Easier to DIY maintain between the two engines?
How easy to DIY service and the car for the smaller stuff? I am used to getting my hands dirty on the Landys.
Closest Subaru independent service center in Eastern Pretoria?

That is all for now

Hi OBone

If you want power then the 3.6 is the way to go. The 3.0 was on the older models but the newer models use the 3.6 that is in the current Tribeca. It is not turbo charged but does have 191kW and 350Nm.

The car is fast and also has SI Drive.

If you want fuel economy look at the Diesel.
The diesel delivers it's power very nicely and feels more powerful that the 110kW & 350Nm it has.

Diesel:

110kW - 350Nm
6.4L /100km
168g CO2 emissions

3.6R:

191kW - 350Nm
10.6L /100km
250g CO2 emissions

They both use Timing Chains and not belts

October 22, 2012, 09:55:43 AM
Reply #16

Subaru Southern Africa

Quote from: Steve;7428
But the diesel was not available in the 06 range.

Thanks, wasn't sure which model OBone was looking for, I just gave specs of current gen.

October 22, 2012, 01:45:57 PM
Reply #17

OBone

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks for the advice.

Only reason for going 06 H6 is because of the price. Lots of car for not a lot of money. For the same price One can also have a XT Fozzie. There are two in Hatfield I am going to check out.

Would love a new car, but hate the depreciation, and the donation to SARS
2005 Outback 3.0 R
That R probably stands for RACING, because it goes like the clappers

October 22, 2012, 01:50:17 PM
Reply #18

Subaru Southern Africa

Both good cars, love the Foz for versatility but also love the Legacy and Outback for comfort and luxury feel.

So I guess it will come down to what you need and like more.

Good luck on your purchase and post some pics of which ever you go for :)

October 24, 2012, 02:02:55 PM
Reply #19

OBone

• View Profile
    • Email
I tell you my dilemma.

I like the Outback, the space, the 3.0 H6, the unassuming exterior.

My wife likes the Forester XT because of its scoop, and she thinks the Outback looks like a hearse. I dont really agree, but if so it is a very fast hearse :cool:
2005 Outback 3.0 R

October 24, 2012, 02:36:37 PM
Reply #20

Manfred

• View Profile
    • Email
OBone, get the Outback.
You might get a chance to drive it, XT, fat chance.

My wife is so attached to her car, she gets all emotional when she tries to explain/show me how easy overtaking is.

I use it for a day or two and she starts getting the DT's.
Now I dont even bother asking to drive the car.
I know how it affects her
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:37:14 PM by Manfred »
Pretoria

2011 XT Sportshift
2013 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost (Turbo Triple)

November 02, 2012, 03:53:50 PM
Reply #21

OBone

• View Profile
    • Email
Going to view two Outbacks tomorrow morning.

First is at Springs Nissan. 2008 model,  97k km on for R150k option of extendend warranty and tint for R160k. White, minor body marks and scratches.

Second is in Benoni, 2005 model 116k km for R130. Silver.

No idea how good/bad they are until I have seen them.

I am leaning towards the first because it is more recent, and at 25k km per year it must have been more motorway kms than city kms. It is also 4 years old the other is 7 years old.

any advice or recommendations?

Oh yes, both are 3.0R :cool:
2005 Outback 3.0 R

November 02, 2012, 04:21:35 PM
Reply #22

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
personally, the first option is the one would go, except i wouldn't bother with the warranty, i'll rather have them do the 100 000km service free of charge (at a Subaru dealer) and have the tinting done after delivery has been taken.

my2c;)
Mine:
2014 Ford Ranger Double Cab
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

November 04, 2012, 07:32:01 AM
Reply #23

OBone

• View Profile
    • Email
I have viewed both cars

The first is a 2008 3.0 97000km in white. It does not have a sunroof, but has paddle shift and a big massive Sport knob for S or S# ;)  
The exterior is not in a good shape, blanking plate for the towing eye at the front is missing, rear bumper badly scratched and a couple of small dents in the doors. Interior is very nice, combo of black leather and suede seats. I don't like the big amount of chrome in the trim, and suede for children is not going to work. Mechanically its perrrrfect. You don't even notice it idling.

The second is Silver with beige interior. 116000km Older model and interior not as nicely specced but has a big electric sunroof. Exterior much better, interior is full leather that my wife and I like better. Except for the cargo cover everything that should be there is there. Only thing that bothers me it is not idling as smooth as the first, and the trip meter has a funny reading saying "Er something" cant recall what, and the "sport" light on the dash is blinking.

We are leaning towards the second because of price, and personal preference. With that paddle shift on the first, I am probably going to drive it like the clappers, sit with bad fuel economy again. But the er code and flashing sport light is worrying me...

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:47:20 AM by OBone »
2005 Outback 3.0 R

November 05, 2012, 07:28:04 AM
Reply #24

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
the ECU has picked up some fualt code, make sure the dealer gets is to a Subaru dealer to check what the code is for.

ask the selling dealer to supply the rear cargo cover - let us know what they report.;)
Mine:
Honda Varadero

Hers:

November 05, 2012, 09:09:00 AM
Reply #25

OBone

• View Profile
    • Email
OK in theory, which car would you choose

1) Car with a religious service history, slight uneven idle but with an error code that the seller will have diagnosed by Subaru. 3 years older 10k km more

2) Car with a service history that is attached. He skipped a few: Done at 5354km
Skipped 12500
Done 25000km on 34487
Done 37500 on 46875
Last service on record in the book both the 50000 and 62500 was done at 65360
It is now on 97k km, the seller will have the 100k service done. But I am not so sure...
2005 Outback 3.0 R

November 05, 2012, 09:19:00 AM
Reply #26

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
wow - 2nd one i would rather give a skip with that service history. i know the 6 cylinder boxer engine is bullet proof, but this one might prove anyone wrong with a service history like that. in the long run it will also give you less a trade in value with that record.

first one would be the choice, should the selling dealer sort out all error issues, ask them to have it checked with a subaru dealer, go with the car to the subaru dealer and listen what they say.

good luck and keep us posted....
Mine:
Honda Varadero

Hers:

November 06, 2012, 02:58:02 PM
Reply #27

OBone

• View Profile
    • Email
When I phoned the guy again to ask about the error, the car was already serviced and error cleared. How he pulled that off from a Saturday Morning to a Thursday morning, I am not sure, but his service is excellent. I can recommend Fernando from Automan in Boksburg.

I have made my first part of the payment, took the warranty just for in case. I cant see on the service statement what exactly was done to remove the code, I think it was simply cleared. At least that way I am covered if a sensor was packing up or something.

Will post pictures as soon as it is delivered.

Thanks for the advice
2005 Outback 3.0 R

November 06, 2012, 03:58:22 PM
Reply #28

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
congratulations Obone, i know you will enjoy your new Subaru Outback!!!
Mine:
Honda Varadero

Hers:

November 20, 2012, 02:37:22 PM
Reply #29

PaulC

• View Profile
    • Email
You made the right choice - I cannot get over how some people cannot get a service schedule into their head! :eek:

Sadly, although it's a beautiful car, the 3.0 is not worth much when you try and sell it later - the 2.5 will always be a great car and capable of spectacularly low fuel consumption on long runs.
3 Outbacks in a row :D
Currently 2006 Forester 2.5 X