Author Topic: Potential Outback buyer  (Read 3453 times)

November 20, 2012, 03:26:12 PM
Reply #30

Stev0

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member

  • Offline
  • *****

  • 10216
    • View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: PaulC;8073
You made the right choice - I cannot get over how some people cannot get a service schedule into their head! :eek:

Sadly, although it's a beautiful car, the 3.0 is not worth much when you try and sell it later - the 2.5 will always be a great car and capable of spectacularly low fuel consumption on long runs.


Will you really choose the 2.5 over the 3.0R?
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

November 20, 2012, 04:17:59 PM
Reply #31

PaulC

  • Hero Member

  • Offline
  • *****

  • 927
    • View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: Steve;8077
Will you really choose the 2.5 over the 3.0R?


If fuel consumption was no problem and trade in value didn't affect me, I'd go 3.0 - I loved mine, but hell they are thirsty if you enjoy them!!

Apart from being cheaper to maintain, the 2.5 holds its value much better.

In this particular case, it looks as if the 2.5 was a better buy in any case, as it appears to have been better maintained.
3 Outbacks in a row :D
Currently 2006 Forester 2.5 X

November 21, 2012, 08:02:08 AM
Reply #32

OBone

  • Full Member

  • Offline
  • ***

  • 165
    • View Profile
    • Email
12.5 l/100 for my first tank. Should I say my thirst tank.

Seeing that it only has a permit at the back, no plates yet, and the window is tinted.... Really enjoy the power. That basically means I drove it like a pike. I also try to top it out, but got very afraid at 220 indicated, never owned a car as fast as this one.

So my first tank while I get to know the car is still good imo: On the Discovery, if I feather foot it, it could maybe give me 18 l/100

My next tank would be careful driving, see if I can make 10 on the urban cycle, that might be a bit ambitious.

I don't plan to sell it soon. Bigger petrols don't sell, I am still sitting with my Discovery.

Interesting the cheapest 2.5i I could find with similar km on it, was at least R40k more than the price I paid for this one. To make up that difference I assumed the best 2.5 fuel economy on and the worst on the 3.0 Reference was fuelly.com since it gives the best real world consumption IMO.

Making up R40k in fuel would take over 90k km, and since I hardly drive 15k km per year, it would take long as well.

Maintenance is about equal. The 3.0 has a chain that theoretically don't need changing, but needs more oil per service. They are just about on par with each other.
2005 Outback 3.0 R
That R probably stands for RACING, because it goes like the clappers

November 21, 2012, 08:03:19 AM
Reply #33

OBone

  • Full Member

  • Offline
  • ***

  • 165
    • View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: PaulC;8081

In this particular case, it looks as if the 2.5 was a better buy in any case, as it appears to have been better maintained.


Nope. The car with the better maintenance was also a 3.0 ;)
2005 Outback 3.0 R
That R probably stands for RACING, because it goes like the clappers

November 21, 2012, 09:38:40 AM
Reply #34

PaulC

  • Hero Member

  • Offline
  • *****

  • 927
    • View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: OBone;8096
Nope. The car with the better maintenance was also a 3.0 ;)


OH! So that's why your first tank was  rather high!! :p

Best I got on my 3.0 was 9.2 on a trip - worst, whist towing was 12.5.

GREAT cars!
3 Outbacks in a row :D
Currently 2006 Forester 2.5 X

December 01, 2012, 07:21:14 AM
Reply #35

bennu

  • Guest
Quote from: OBone;8095
12.5 l/100 for my first tank. Should I say my thirst tank.
 
Seeing that it only has a permit at the back, no plates yet, and the window is tinted.... Really enjoy the power. That basically means I drove it like a pike. I also try to top it out, but got very afraid at 220 indicated, never owned a car as fast as this one.
 
So my first tank while I get to know the car is still good imo: On the Discovery, if I feather foot it, it could maybe give me 18 l/100
 
My next tank would be careful driving, see if I can make 10 on the urban cycle, that might be a bit ambitious.
 
I don't plan to sell it soon. Bigger petrols don't sell, I am still sitting with my Discovery.
 
Interesting the cheapest 2.5i I could find with similar km on it, was at least R40k more than the price I paid for this one. To make up that difference I assumed the best 2.5 fuel economy on and the worst on the 3.0 Reference was fuelly.com since it gives the best real world consumption IMO.
 
Making up R40k in fuel would take over 90k km, and since I hardly drive 15k km per year, it would take long as well.
 
Maintenance is about equal. The 3.0 has a chain that theoretically don't need changing, but needs more oil per service. They are just about on par with each other.

So I've not been around for a while, and am joining this discussion a bit late. Congrats on your new wagon and, might I say, the 3=point-0h is the way to go! Yes, it is thirsty, but I agree 100% with your equasion.
 
As for your first 220km/h run, I only managed 200 before pulling out of my first attempt.... also the fastest i've ever gone up till that point (Still haven't managed to max it out...)
 
Regards to your earlier post, go look at this thread http://www.foresterforum.co.za/showthread.php?t=580&page=2
I don't know whether your mentioned error code was the same, but removing those cat's have made me a happier man!
 
Happy driving!

December 05, 2012, 07:32:03 PM
Reply #36

OBone

  • Full Member

  • Offline
  • ***

  • 165
    • View Profile
    • Email
Took the Outback down to Uvongo. What a car. Never had something this smooth.

Why don't we see more Subaru on the roads? Is it the lack of dealerships?
2005 Outback 3.0 R
That R probably stands for RACING, because it goes like the clappers

December 05, 2012, 08:50:00 PM
Reply #37

Stev0

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member

  • Offline
  • *****

  • 10216
    • View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: OBone;8391
Took the Outback down to Uvongo. What a car. Never had something this smooth.

Why don't we see more Subaru on the roads? Is it the lack of dealerships?


Exactly.

Makes a good point for rarity and something special.

BRZ Vs 86.

Pfft... BRZ anyday, there will be far fewer on the roads!
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R