Author Topic: LoopSoosStroop's 2006 X MT - IS DEAD  (Read 24365 times)

January 02, 2011, 04:26:43 PM
Read 24365 times

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
UPDATE MAY 2014: It pains me to say that the Fozzie depicted in this thread is dead. For the current, faster one, please go to: http://foresterforum.co.za/index.php/topic,1900.0.html

Sooooooo, I present my Forester:

It's a 2006 X Manual with the Dual Range ("low range") 20% reduction gear. The X model has dark grey plastic bumpers (good), basic radio/cd and aircon (not so good), no self-leveling rear suspension (good if you want to fit raised springs), open diffs all round (not so good) and steel rims (very good).

The above is based upon building a off-road fozzie, not a road racer.

Mods so far:

1. 215/65/16 Yoko Geolander HTS tyres.

2. 50 mm strut lift (Ground clearance 260 mm under bash plate, 270 mm under rear diff).

3. Alu engine bash plate (1st prototype, needs improvement  :P ).

4. Gearbox breather. Gearbox Side:

Clear plastic pipe (to be replaced with something that doesnt look so tacky):

Feul filter on the other side to keep dirt and water out:

5. 72 L/MIN Compressor mounted in engine bay.

6. Rear diff breather (will still post pics).

Future mods (will update in this post as time goes along):
New strut lift blocks (55 mm front, 60 mm rear).
Kings 30 mm raised springs.
40 mm body lift.
Albins 60% reduction dual range gear set.
215/70/16 all terain tyres.

Some more piccies:

Goooooo Fozzies!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:50:51 AM by LoopSoosStroop »
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

January 03, 2011, 09:26:45 AM
Reply #1

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Mods so far:
215/65/16 Yoko Geolander HTS tyres.
50 mm strut lift (Ground clearance 260 mm under bash plate, 270 mm under rear diff).
Disconnected rear anti-roll bar (Going to try removing both front and back).
Alu engine bash plate (crucial for rocks).
Rear diff breather and gearbox breather.
Compressor mounted in engine bay.

I like the lift.

I measured mine yesterday.

Under the bash plate its 150mm and sits at 670mm at the arches (all round) I cant wait to lift my foz. With my stock springs I should come up to about 200mm. With the correct tires and your spacers, I should be pretty close to your levels.

I would suggest you make quick releases for the anti roll bars. Driving with them disconnected on tarmac could be unsafe.

Would you mind posting pics of your compressor setup and more on those breathers?

I noticed that the guys in Australia put a manual fan switch on their Fozzies. The reason being that if it comes on while you are in the water, it will impel the fan blades into the radiator, puncturing it.

How about a roof basket and a nudge bar with spots?
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

January 03, 2011, 02:16:20 PM
Reply #2

thebrain

• View Profile
    • Email
LoopStroop: I like your setup. I've been browsing the ausie sites for close to 2 years no, wondering how I would easily gain some better ground clearance.

Did you manufacture the strut lifts yourself, or did you import?

I've also been meaning to source / manufacture a bash plate. Last time I checked online (1 year ago) there was an ausie manufacturer / supplier.
2003 Subaru Forester 2.5 Xec (250 000 km)

January 03, 2011, 04:33:03 PM
Reply #3

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Quote from: thebrain
LoopStroop: I like your setup. I've been browsing the ausie sites for close to 2 years no, wondering how I would easily gain some better ground clearance.

Did you manufacture the strut lifts yourself, or did you import?

I've also been meaning to source / manufacture a bash plate. Last time I checked online (1 year ago) there was an ausie manufacturer / supplier.

I made the strut lift blocks and bash plate myself. I'm going to start making them for sale in March, when I move into a new house. Acording to my calculations prices may be very competitive for SA guys, and even for the Aussies which I hope to target.

Will discuss vendor issues with the forum owners before I start advertising and selling stuff from here. 
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

January 03, 2011, 04:39:52 PM
Reply #4

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Dont forget the guys in the states. They love the Fozzies too :)

January 03, 2011, 04:46:06 PM
Reply #5

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Quote from: Steve
I would suggest you make quick releases for the anti roll bars. Driving with them disconnected on tarmac could be unsafe.

Jip, that is the result, more (unsafe) body roll, but I will still try it and compare on road performance. Believe it or not my rear bar lost a nut (disconnecting itself) due to me not tightening it properly, and I drove all the way back from the cape without noticing it. Didnt feel a noticable difference in handling. But then again I drive like your grandma.

Would you mind posting pics of your compressor setup and more on those breathers?

Will do so.

I noticed that the guys in Australia put a manual fan switch on their Fozzies. The reason being that if it comes on while you are in the water, it will impel the fan blades into the radiator, puncturing it.

Is the fan behind or in front of the radiator? Will look into this, does not sound too complicated?

How about a roof basket and a nudge bar with spots?

A nudge bar is not for me, most of them reduce your approach angle and I'm not into chrome. A steel replacement front bumper and a roofrack sounds lekker though!  ;) ;D
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

January 03, 2011, 05:20:27 PM
Reply #6

thebrain

• View Profile
    • Email
Loopstroop: I'm looking forward to your merchandise. Hopefully the price is right for the average Joe like me  ;D

January 04, 2011, 07:07:32 PM
Reply #7

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Updated first post with more pics of mods!
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

January 06, 2011, 10:41:08 AM
Reply #8

thebrain

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks for the updated pics. I am a little jealous ... :-\

January 17, 2011, 03:24:19 PM
Reply #9

turbonutters

Love your Forester.
Why did you get the HT/s and not the AT/s geos i am sure the AT/s geos on my car seem to be n bit more off-road orientated or am i missing something?

I am also interested in your bash plates and lift.

January 18, 2011, 06:10:55 PM
Reply #10

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Quote from: turbonutters
Love your Forester.
Why did you get the HT/s and not the AT/s geos i am sure the AT/s geos on my car seem to be n bit more off-road orientated or am i missing something?
I am also interested in your bash plates and lift.

Hi turbonutters

The dealer put on two new HT/S tyres so I just finished the job. In retrospect would have prefered 70 series AT's but I was still a noob then...

Wonder if the lift and bashplate will fit your SF fozzie, you might have to be my guinea-pig. Whereabouts are you? I'm in sunny Gauteng.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

January 19, 2011, 09:00:22 AM
Reply #11

turbonutters

I am in cloudy Pretoria ???
To my knowledge it will fit and yes I am definitely up to being a lab rat.
 ;D

February 02, 2011, 10:07:44 AM
Reply #12

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
LSS, are the XT and X plastic bashplates identical?  If you are keen to duplicate your plate, Id like to fit one on my XT.

February 02, 2011, 10:42:26 AM
Reply #13

Chingha

• View Profile
    • Email
Have a chat to the guys at Subaru Culemborg, I got a factory metal bashplate fitted for R700.

February 02, 2011, 05:55:33 PM
Reply #14

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
LSS, are the XT and X plastic bashplates identical?  If you are keen to duplicate your plate, Id like to fit one on my XT.

Will offer bash plates as well yes, but dont know whether they are identical. My guess is they are, seeing as the bashplate bolts to the frame structure.

Quote from: Chingha
Have a chat to the guys at Subaru Culemborg, I got a factory metal bashplate fitted for R700.

Thats a really good price...post apic will you? Is it lekker heavy duty?
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng