Author Topic: LoopSoosStroop's 2006 X MT - IS DEAD  (Read 22511 times)

February 02, 2011, 09:49:06 PM
Reply #15

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Die XT se bashplate is n bietjie wyer. Ek dink dit het te doen met die exhaust.
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

February 03, 2011, 01:04:53 PM
Reply #16

Chingha

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: LoopSoosStroop
Quote from: Steve
LSS, are the XT and X plastic bashplates identical?  If you are keen to duplicate your plate, Id like to fit one on my XT.

Will offer bash plates as well yes, but dont know whether they are identical. My guess is they are, seeing as the bashplate bolts to the frame structure.

Quote from: Chingha
Have a chat to the guys at Subaru Culemborg, I got a factory metal bashplate fitted for R700.

Thats a really good price...post apic will you? Is it lekker heavy duty?

your wish!

February 03, 2011, 01:59:33 PM
Reply #17

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email

April 05, 2011, 06:59:44 AM
Reply #18

Manfred

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm on my home yesterday and who do I think I see in front of me, Mr Loopsoosstroop.

Wasn't too sure it was you,  but how many silver X's are there that make the XT look like its squatting to pee   ;D

Your car really looks good LS, like it should be.

If I was in the X, I would have felt like a dwarf.

Ive gotto get me some of those lifters.
You have a 50mm lift don't you..
Pretoria

2011 XT Sportshift
2013 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost (Turbo Triple)

May 06, 2011, 09:00:02 AM
Reply #19

Bravofox

• Just another Member

• View Profile
    • Email
Baie mooi Off-Road Forester, LoopSoosStroop!!

Kan jy dalk 'n pic op sit wat verder geneem is sodat mens kan sien waar die Gearbox breather sit? Gister op my XT gesoek, maar kon dit nie kry nie.
2015 Outback 3.6R-S
2006 Impreza 2.0R Wagon.
-ex -2009 SH XT A/T
-ex- 2009 SG9 XT Premium Manual
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Manual
-ex- 2002 Legacy 2.5GX A/T

July 29, 2011, 04:35:23 PM
Reply #20

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Quote from: Bravofox
Baie mooi Off-Road Forester, LoopSoosStroop!!

Kan jy dalk 'n pic op sit wat verder geneem is sodat mens kan sien waar die Gearbox breather sit? Gister op my XT gesoek, maar kon dit nie kry nie.

Dit sit aan die regterkant van die ratkas, net agter die bell housing, waar die dipstick ingaan. Die dipstick en die breather is een ding...
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

August 22, 2011, 06:50:06 PM
Reply #21

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Ok guys, here is an update about what’s been happening to my Fozzie the last few weeks. Exhaust wise…

As mentioned elsewhere, my exhaust manifold cracked on a trip to the Kgalagadi in late June. This is what a standard N/A axhaust manifold looks like (post 2006 apparently):

That’s not mine (didn’t take pictures unfortunately), but the crack was right where the four-into-one section is before the first Lambda sensor, all around the circumference. How I noticed something was wrong was in the first place the presence of the CEL (check engine light, engine light with flashing cruise control light) and an almighty roar from the engine bay due to the crack. Luckily the performance and fuel consumption was largely unaffected, with the only side-effect slight stuttering at low engine speeds, and the trip could be completed (dont you love N/A petrols?).

When I came back I took the car to WRC tuning in Edenvale, they know Subaru’s well. Asked them to weld the crack shut, take the catalytic converters out (one on the manifold and one on the pipe right after it) and mechanically bypass the sensors so that I’m rid of the CEL.

Got the car back after a few days and sure enough the CEL was gone, but the car didn’t feel right. Surging, still stuttering at low revs, dying while idling ect. After reading up a bit I realized that the first sensor (just before the first cat) should not have been spaced out of the flow of the exhaust gas, as this sensor (called the Air/Fuel Ratio Oxygen sensor) is crucial for the closed-loop operation of the control system. Duh. Basics. CEL also came back in no time. The rear sensor only serves as a measure of the efficiency of the cat, and can be spaced out of the flow safely to prevent the CEL from coming back on.

So, I took the manifold off to reinstall the sensor on the pipe at the correct height. Upon removal of the heat shields ect I saw that the welding did not look too hot and the cats also looked a bit rough (just opened up, empties and welded shut). Dis not look like it was going to stand some hectic off-roading and last a long time.

Decided to take the manifold and pipe section behind it to Powerflow Exhausts in Edenvale to see what they can do for me. This is the result, much much better (R500 later).

Granted, the heat shield does not look to great anymore, but in serves its purpose.

Rear section:

Front sensor where it should be, inside the flow:

Rear sensor spaced out of the flow:

The rear sensor uses the front sensor as a reference and compares its signal to it. As long as it differs, it assumes the cat is still working well. That’s how you will get a CEL once the cat stops working, when the signals become similar.

Another pic of the manifold:

After everything was installed again I took the car to Powerflow again to replace the rear muffler as it has been making whining noises for a while (R980). Also a huge improvement, sommer sounds lekker!

Still had the CEL though, so I purchased the following from a chinese friend on Bid-or Buy:

A OBD2 CEL code reader/scanner/clearer(R850 shipping inc). Now my CEL is gone and I can use my cruise control again!!!  :)

I don’t know if the removal of the cat’s made a difference, but I saved myself some future effort as catalytic converters don’t really last more than 150k km generically (my car is on 130k km). Then I would have also gotten a CEL and have had to space the sensor (mechanical fix, google it) or replace the cats ($$$).

So now my Foz is happy again and it runs like a beast (although it will still lose a drag race against a XT)…  ;D   ;D   ;D

If anyone has a CEL anytime, swing by and we can check the code with the scanner.

Have I mentioned that I love my Foz? What a car!!!  8)
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

August 23, 2011, 08:23:46 AM
Reply #22

Manfred

• View Profile
    • Email
Found this on SubaruForester.org

What CEL code(s) are you getting? Normally a failing CAT or other MODs upstream will give you a CEL P0420. The mechanical MOD is to use 2 18mm spark plug non-foulers to space the O2 sensor back out of the exhaust flow. The attached picture is not from a Subaru, but you can see how the MOD is installed. The MOD will cost about $5. The only real work is drilling out one of the spark plug non-foulers with a 1/2" drill bit so the O2 sensor can be screwed into it. Don't forget to use anti-seize on the threads
Pretoria

2011 XT Sportshift
2013 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost (Turbo Triple)

October 16, 2011, 02:23:10 PM
Reply #23

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
This is what can potentially happen with your anti-roll bar end links if you have a 50mm strut lift (Steve I think you asked a while back?):

I've taken the bar off. No dramatic decrease in handling, although it feels slightly less prone to understeer.

Another of my projects:

For the 70 series spare wheel, petrol and water cans.

I love my Foz!

2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

October 17, 2011, 09:20:15 AM
Reply #24

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
You should really consider 15 inch wheels. I checked with Subaru and they do indeed fit on the X's You can run up to a 75 profile and obviously your tire choice will now dramatically increase.

Great route to go. :)

October 17, 2011, 11:19:17 AM
Reply #25

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
215/75/15:

Overall diameter: 703.5 mm
Sidewall height: 161.25 mm

215/70/16:

Overall diameter: 707.4 mm
Sidewall height: 150.4 mm

Considering the above the 15's would be marginally better off-road due to the higher sidewalls, but I prefer the 16's because then I don't need new rims and the slightly stiffer sidewalls. After all I drive my car on tar 95% of the time. (The 16's also give 2mm more ground clearance  ;D  )
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

October 17, 2011, 12:08:11 PM
Reply #26

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
I agree.  But we are still pretty limited to crappy tires, even on the 70 profile.

October 17, 2011, 12:31:02 PM
Reply #27

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
You can get Yoko Geo AT/S for R1300 in 215/70/16. That's what I'm going for as soon as I have the ching.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

October 19, 2011, 12:57:41 PM
Reply #28

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
im extremely happy with the H/T/S Years better than the G900S

October 28, 2011, 08:47:50 AM
Reply #29

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Ok here we go... my Foz does not love me as much as I love it....  :'(

Clutch release/thrust bearing decided it had had enough yesterday and left in a cloud of smoke and horrible metal munching noises.

Still deciding whether to fix it myself or to take it to someone. Will start downloading the OEM manuals today and check out the complexity of the job. Will be similar to the work Manfred's car required. Maybe it will be beneficial to do the clutch while the gearbox is out.

Anyways, will update decisions and progress here.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng