Author Topic: west's S-exy young thing  (Read 6518 times)

November 16, 2012, 08:42:54 AM
Reply #15

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: JPC;7893
maybe "S" should be sh!t I stock a healthy supply of grolsch and peroni beers next to my S!!:p:D:D

jy moet deel!!!:eek::rolleyes:

Hahhaha... I don't mind sharing at all (so let's look for an outing in Dec!), maar daai op die pics is als klaar gedrink... moet nog die glas gaan recycle.  Somehow they just disappear!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 05:55:18 PM by westcoaster »
Current: S-edition 2011 Steel Silver (S-exy young thing) - Forged, Chett tjooned, 76mm s/s wrapped DP, King Springs, 225/60/17 G012s, Sump & AT guards, cheap mud flaps, HID fogs, LED parks.
Ex:        2.5X man 2010 Pearl White (Dirty Girl) - LSS lift, 235/60/16 G012s, Sump guard, HIDs and more..

November 16, 2012, 09:19:29 AM
Reply #16

subie

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: westcoaster;7989
Jacques, yes, I've actually been thinking about mudflaps! Shot fot the info - I knew about RallyArmour (pricey!) and recently discovered Gorilla. Will check out the others also.

Subie, let's talk, perhaps we can import together and share the postage cost!

Jammer Westcoaster. Ek is nog uit die oude d#$s. Hou nie van goed koop so oor die pos nie. Ek moet die ding sien en dan besluit of ek hom wil koop.
Ek gaan maar cheapies opsit.

November 17, 2012, 05:39:02 PM
Reply #17

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Today I FINALLY had enough time to do the fender flares, if I could get myself to commit... for that reason I had the dealer do the ones on my ex.  That had cost me an extra Grand.  Seemed simple enough to stick a few strips of rubber onto a car, but I was worried about making a balls-up on my new baby!
So, after thouroughly washing the affected areas while having a beer, it was time to commit... ah, well, here goes...right after my 2nd beer, that was...

The stick-on job was easy enough. :rolleyes:

Then after the comments from Jacques & subie, I decided flaps would be nice, too. R1,000+ for flaps was just plain wrong. Had a look at my local Midas, grabbed a set that said "Audi" and popped in at Builder's for some galvanised bolts, nuts and washers.

Got home and used a knife to scrape the "Audi" off the two flaps - the other were unbranded.

The front set was first: I set them up to be quite subtle. so they aren't hanging straight down, but I'm OK with that.  Drilled the 1st hole in the flap, used the bolt to align it, marked the 2nd and 3rd holes.  The initial plan was to just tag them onto the wheel arch liner, thus protecting the car as much as possible. THis meant the original lugs holding the liner were not going to be long enough, had to use the bolts I had bought.  Getting the nuts tightened onto the bolts was going to be a challenge, to say the least: the back of the wheel arch had to be accessed through the small gap when opening the front door and the one could not be reached.  So I tried my luck - slipped the flap UNDER the liner and with a bit of "encouragement", the first original lug caught and held!  The 2nd and 3rd lugs were even more stubborn, but so was I - and I won in the end.  I finished with what I think is a "near OEM" look.  

Happiness!  The Stout also helped me feeling better ;)

The rear flaps were easy, BUT required a whole lot more commitment than I had bargained on:  Had to drill through the R5,000 flares I had just installed!!!  Plus I found some lugs off my ex that would work, but they were bigger, so I had to also enlarge the existing hole in the arch - ie drill it open!  Stuff this up and it would mean a new rear bumper plus spray job...:eek:  Then the RallyArmour flaps would have been cheap-cheap!  After downing another beer, I finally went for it.  I ended fastening the rear flaps with two lugs each, again getting a nicely understated/OEM look due to no shiny bolts.  Only I went too subtle on the 1st one and was just hanging too skew, so I had to re-do that one.  Now the left rear flap has a "vent hole", visible in the one pic attached.  Not too bothered, I just may buy a loose flap and replace it.  

So the flaps, including the bolts, nuts and washers which I didn't use were 60 bucks, all-in.
Happy with the results, especially the flares - I think they should be standard on these cars!

Next up?
Those Yoki Geo G012 AT-S's - but it seems the size I want is not available in 17"... I wanted 235/60 or 245/55... looks like it'll have to be 225/60...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 05:54:19 PM by westcoaster »
Current: S-edition 2011 Steel Silver (S-exy young thing) - Forged, Chett tjooned, 76mm s/s wrapped DP, King Springs, 225/60/17 G012s, Sump & AT guards, cheap mud flaps, HID fogs, LED parks.
Ex:        2.5X man 2010 Pearl White (Dirty Girl) - LSS lift, 235/60/16 G012s, Sump guard, HIDs and more..

November 18, 2012, 06:29:00 PM
Reply #18

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Hawtness....

Moenie met jou kar vir my kom kuier nie, ek gaan wegkruip en groen word.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

November 18, 2012, 07:53:21 PM
Reply #19

subie

• View Profile
    • Email
Ja!! Westcoaster dis mos waarvan ek praat. Lyk goed en gaan ook so iets doen vir mudflaps.

Waar het jy daardie lugs gekry??

November 19, 2012, 07:14:19 AM
Reply #20

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
welgedaan westcoaster, lyk baie goed - dink nie ek het al 'n S gesien met die flares kit op nie!!

well done, jy mag maar bier drink en fit....;)
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

November 20, 2012, 04:30:14 AM
Reply #21

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: subie;8013

Waar het jy daardie lugs gekry??

Dis lugs was op my ex/X - dis dieselfde ouens wat die onderkant van die voor-bumper en al die ander plastiek-stukke onder bymekaar hou.  Subaru dealer sal he, behoort cheap te wees.

November 20, 2012, 08:27:11 AM
Reply #22

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Fozzie lyk smart ou pel!
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

December 10, 2012, 07:11:52 AM
Reply #23

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Update:
Did the vinyl headlight covers yesterday.  These likely won't prevent proper stones from cracking the lights, but they do cut out the sandblast effect that builds up over time.
I went for a slight tint, to blend the lights with the car a bit.

Fitting is a bit of a bee-aatch, but I Googled a bit and got some good advice and , I managed a good fit.  
There are a few useful tricks:
- water spray container: a bit of mist on the headlight allows a bit of movement while fitting and helps reduce bubbles (water stains dry out over time);
- SWAMBO's hair drier: softens the vinyl to help mould it around corners, hold it down while cooling to ensure the shape is 'memorised';
- a pin: prick and press out small bubbles.  The vinyl 'heals' so the small pinholes close up.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:22:32 PM by westcoaster »

December 11, 2012, 12:35:20 PM
Reply #24

PaulC

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: westcoaster;8430
Update:
Did the vinyl headlight covers yesterday.  These likely won't prevent proper stones from cracking the lights, but they do cut out the sandblast effect that builds up over time.

That looks GREAT! :D
3 Outbacks in a row :D
Currently 2006 Forester 2.5 X

December 11, 2012, 02:18:53 PM
Reply #25

subie

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: westcoaster;8430
Update:
Did the vinyl headlight covers yesterday. These likely won't prevent proper stones from cracking the lights, but they do cut out the sandblast effect that builds up over time.

Waar het jy die vinyl headlight covers gekry?

December 11, 2012, 09:14:26 PM
Reply #26

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: subie;8472
Waar het jy die vinyl headlight covers gekry?

subie, dis vinyl sheets van AutoStyle :eek: - LaminX brand, hulle kom in verskillende tints (ook plain/see-through).  Jy moet self die shapes uitsny. Ek het sommer ook die fogs gedoen met die offcuts.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:23:46 PM by westcoaster »

December 11, 2012, 09:34:19 PM
Reply #27

subie

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: westcoaster;8477
subie, dis vinyl sheets van AutoStyle :eek: - LaminX brand, hulle kom in verskillende tints (ook plain/see-through). Jy moet self die shapes uitsny. Ek het sommer ook die fogs gedoen met die offcuts.

Dankie Westcoaster. Sal graag so iets wil doen voor ek op vakansie gaan.

February 15, 2013, 11:32:20 AM
Reply #28

Bravofox

• Just another Member

• View Profile
    • Email
Jou kar lyk smart! Love die S met die Fender Flares...
2015 Outback 3.6R-S
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Wagon.
-ex -2009 SH XT A/T
-ex- 2009 SG9 XT Premium Manual
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Manual
-ex- 2002 Legacy 2.5GX A/T

May 12, 2013, 07:47:28 PM
Reply #29

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
It was time to take her shopping - so she chose these new heels she's had her eyes on for a while...
;)

Yoki G012 - 225/60/17 - they're higher than the standard 55 profile.
Cost me a crapload, but combined with the Kings, she now has a measured 230mm under the lowest point (where the exhaust bends around the diff area).  Rear diff is @ 250mm.  About 10mm clearance left at the front struts.
:cool:

I think she looks hot!

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 08:11:56 PM by westcoaster »