Author Topic: 2013 July August Namibia Botswana  (Read 953 times)

December 22, 2012, 10:26:58 PM
Read 953 times

Bushdriver

• View Profile
    • Email
Taking the scenic route to Namibia.
Leave Jhb 21 July Kimberley
22 July  Augrabies and Vioolsdrift
23 July  Fish River Canyon,  Sesriem, Aus
24 July  Luderitz Aus Soussusvlei
25 July  Soussusvlei  to Homeb
26 July to 9 Aug Sandpiper Dunes, Langstrand explore and ply in the sand.......
10Aug Wondergat
11 Aug Kgalagadi Botswana for 5 days
17 Aug back to Jhb

So start kitting out the Foresters and lets make a convoy......

December 28, 2012, 01:48:56 PM
Reply #1

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sounds like a plan!
We were thinking something similar around the same time, so we could do the convoy-thing.
How flexible are you on dates? There IS this thing happening in the area in the winter, there's been mention of it elsewhere on the forum, just not sure about the dates yet...
http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/
Current: S-edition 2011 Steel Silver (S-exy young thing) - Forged, Chett tjooned, 76mm s/s wrapped DP, King Springs, 225/60/17 G012s, Sump & AT guards, cheap mud flaps, HID fogs, LED parks.
Ex:        2.5X man 2010 Pearl White (Dirty Girl) - LSS lift, 235/60/16 G012s, Sump guard, HIDs and more..

May 27, 2013, 10:52:34 PM
Reply #2

BigWilly

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: Bushdriver;8572
Taking the scenic route to Namibia.
Leave Jhb 21 July Kimberley
22 July  Augrabies and Vioolsdrift
23 July  Fish River Canyon,  Sesriem, Aus
24 July  Luderitz Aus Soussusvlei
25 July  Soussusvlei  to Homeb
26 July to 9 Aug Sandpiper Dunes, Langstrand explore and ply in the sand.......
10Aug Wondergat
11 Aug Kgalagadi Botswana for 5 days
17 Aug back to Jhb

So start kitting out the Foresters and lets make a convoy......

I am plaining a trip to Henties Baai and like the place you suggested as stops. Not sure we will do twe Botswana bit yet.

We want to on a photographic holidaymfor about 2 weeks. Just drive and when thers is something nice take photos and go on untill we find a nice place to sleep over. We are not campers, more B&B or self catering people.

So the questions are
1. How easy is it to find b&b and how far appart? We will try 400 to 600 km per day.
2. The roads conditions? Dont mind some dirt roads, but it is only a XT so no extreme stuff that could break the car.
3. Is it an "easy' drive or car killer?
4. What should I check on the XT before leaving?
5. What should I take with in spares? Home not to have trailer of roofrack.
6. Any other tips as I have not been that way. Longest trip was from Pta to and up Sani and back to Pretoria.
2007 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT

May 28, 2013, 10:47:32 PM
Reply #3

Bushdriver

• View Profile
    • Email
To answer your questions

1: In the tourist areas there are a few B&Bs. The ones that advertise are good but beyond my budget. So we are going to camp on the way up. Spend two weeks in timeshare at Langstrand and then camp in Bots. All low key and very basic. If you are not too fussy there are places all along the trucking routes. In the smaller dorpies there are great people with an old double bed to rent for the night. The local petrol station or barber shop will tell you where and who. Tarr roads are only on main routes. The photographer in you willllll take you down the dirt tracks to the good old local folks. Brush up on your German. I would always take basic camping stuff with. Distances and slow roads  could have you wanting to sleep where you are. Do NOT PLAN OR RESORT TO DRIVING AT NIGHT!!!

2: Roads are generaly good dirt. Corrugations are the norm. Plenty of sand. All dirt roads are ok unless you think you are Sabastian Loabe. I grew up on farm roads. If I was to break a car or bakkie my old man would have taken the sjambok to me..... Never yet broken a  car on- or off- road

3: I'm not into wrecking my Forester at all. So, not a car buster trip! Except for the Bots bit of sand tracks, the trip would be fine in a VW Jetta. I am fitting a sump guard, diff and fuel tank protection from abrasion. Also a seed mesh for the radiator. Also looking at fireproofing the exhaust to stop flame ups from grass collecting arround the exhaust on the dune tracks. Will check closer to the time on how much grass is on the roads. PRIME SAFETY MEASURE - Mrs Bushdriver IS going with. She, thankfully, has far more protection for Alice (Forester's name) than any sumpguard could provide!

4: Do a normal service and take spare belts with. If your self leveling shock are stuffed fit new springs and standard shocks. Im going with origional SLS 80000 km on them..... So if they blow its ok. Check your car insurance and take out Travel Insurance with air evacuation.

5: Regular tool and puncture kit. Water. Fill tyres with green puncture slime. Take water.  Tyre pump.  Oh water.  Extra spare wheel. 2 Jerry cans for fuel. Silicon tape, duct tape, pipe clamps. Radiator stop leaks. Pratleys steel puty. Spare oil. Oil-, fuel- and 2 air-filters. Plus my chamois fuel filter and funnel to use at EVERY garage including the fill ups in Jhb two weeks before the trip!

6: I drove up to Swakopmund many times in a truck during my varsity days some 38 to 40 years ago.... I do racall leaving a pair of slops stuck in the melted tarr when I hopped out of the truck to change a tyre. Screeming hot. Later that night I nearly froze to death..... Temp range inland can go from -4 to +42'C in a day.  All the pics I took died with my little old Kodac instamatic that just about melted in the truck. No aircon in those days.

You cant take meat, but its cheap there, Take a freezer if you can, with second battery system. Metal cooler boxes are better than plastic. And stronger to sleep on top of. Freeze water for use as freeze blocks the next day in the cooler box.

Speaking of cameras, Im taking a "disposable" filter or two and a 12v car charger for my bateries. Also planning to make up a dust glove for the camera and lense combo. Worked way too long to save for the D60 to get it messed by dust and sand. Hoping to add a 100-400mm lense to my 18-200mm lense.... Budgetttttt! All traveling in aluminium Custom Case. Also a small flat safe hidden and bolted under my seat for cash and documents.

My wife and I will be traveling light as possible. No trailer. I have a long Roofpod and I am getting a basket for light bulky stuff like fire wood and gas bottle:-). Taking out back seats for space in car. Will do a weekend camp trip to shake down the essentials. Usually I take TWO kITCHEN SINKS. Its weight that kills cars on bad roads so I and my kit are on diet. Fortunately Mrs Bushdriver will make sure we are well above basic survival levels.

We will set up our packing to be able to sleep in the back of the Forester if we have to; without unpacking. Kagaligadi lions can be a bit worrying in the un-fenced camps, as can the wind and dust!

Small change in dates. Leaving on 20/7/2013 to stay over in Kimberley.
21/7 Augrabies
22/7 Righterveld national park  via Vioolsdrif to Sendelinsdrif on SA side
Then up to Fish river etc
Coming back skipping Wondergat, too far north. Instead heading for Windhoek on 9/8/2013  and on to  Kagaligadi.  12/8 @ Mata Mata Rest Camp and 13/8 @ Nossob Rest Camp. Then accross into Botswana. Leave Bots on the 18th to return to Jhb.

May 29, 2013, 06:19:46 PM
Reply #4

BigWilly

• View Profile
    • Email
No! I want to go on a relaxing drive :-)

May 29, 2013, 07:35:57 PM
Reply #5

Bushdriver

• View Profile
    • Email
This IS a relaxing drive.  Hectic drive is there and back in four days....... In a truck with thirty tons behind you! The two weeks in Swakopmund is total chill time. Explore the dunes and inland central region a bit. Take fishing gear for Henties and a dozen other spots.

Come on, dont be a woes. Saddle up the Forrie and come along!

May 29, 2013, 08:44:54 PM
Reply #6

BigWilly

• View Profile
    • Email
We don't fish or camp :-)

We just want see that part of the world.

May 30, 2013, 06:05:37 PM
Reply #7

Forester Gump

• View Profile
    • Email
enjoy yourselves!  We will be going to visit friends in the Maltehohe district later in Winter. After that i will convince the missus that she needs to see Koakoland. As far as I'm concerned, that's the best part of Nam.
Been doing Nam for the past 20 years now on two wheels and 4 and always do it in winter. No rain to speak of during winter and you can therefore get through the drifts with ease.
The nice things about camping in Nam is that you can be rest assured that if you spot a sign saying "camp site" x kays into some desolate area, then you will find a shower and hot water. Authorities in Nam are strict about this. Ablusions must be good or you can't have a camp site.
The S/Western corner of nam you only do once in your life. The North Eastern corner as well because Caprivi is tarred and the whole corner is farmland and stopping tpo open farm gates non stop. Also no fuel.
Koakoland, Namib west of the Swartrand, the Kuseb and Komashogland are wonderful. The rooisand region up the Border between Botswana and Nam doing Aroab, Gochas etc is beautiful. Anyway, if anyone needs a trip planned, i'll gladly give some suggestions.

July 09, 2013, 08:17:58 PM
Reply #8

Bushdriver

• View Profile
    • Email
So Alice of Overland is ready for the trip.

Got her high heals on.   50mm lift front and back. 215-65/16" Bridgestone Duelers with two spares all on steel rims.

Loopsoosstroop bash plate fitted. Roofrack ready, back seats out.

Service done

11 days to go.....