Author Topic: Preparing Subaru Forester for overlanding trip  (Read 2080 times)

February 25, 2013, 10:18:56 AM
Reply #15

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Enjoy your trip

Try and get as much distance on the car early this week

I is always advisable to drive the car quite a bit after big changes but before departing on long trip
in that way you can catch any issues (like a loose bolt bolt for instance) before you leave
2007 2.5XT Manual (and boy did I have to search for manual one)

March 25, 2013, 06:37:46 PM
Reply #16

goaliekas

Hi guys, thanks for the advice! We are in Uis, Namibia at the moment, enjoying a well earned sundowner! The trip so far has been ex
traordinary, Subo is holding out fine, with some minor tweaks, like balancing and alignment (done in Upington), fitting a Brad-Harrisonplug ( in Pietermaritzburg), and tightening the fanbelt (because it was replaced earlier; done in Windhoek). She tows the trailer quite well, no problems on steep inclines like on some secondary roads in Namibia.
Only major setback was a break-in at Mthatha, where we stopped for 15 minutes and some criminals broke in stealing everything of value. Cost us a week in Joburg getting passports, cameras and GPS' sorted.
But thats in the past, on to Etosha tomorrow!

March 26, 2013, 09:43:58 PM
Reply #17

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum, and "new" to Sub Forester.
Always said that when I grow up, i want a Forester, so @ 50 I eventually bought my first, probably not my last.
Only bought mine (2nd hand) in 2011), and have not done any overland trips.
Roughest so far was Middelpos (N/Cape) in snow season  - awesome.
Bad muddy-road handling with Geolander G900 tyres - no grip at all, but fun(scary for the wife), even a t 10 - 20 km/hr.

Anyway, what I am busy with is building a carrier for a Jerry can and spare wheel on the towbar of my For 2.5 XSel (2005). It's in the finishing stages, made up of metal lying around at home/work, plus about R30 for some square tubing and some bolts(for wheel). I'll probably complete the construction over this easter w/e, painting may not be complete. I'll post some pix later.
I'll be needing a spare wheel soon. Any for sale?

I'm also in need(higher priority than the wheel) of rear shocks(leaking oil after 200k). The agents only sell those gold plated ones. Has anybody had any luck at TWT/QuickFit etc ?
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

May 02, 2013, 09:40:48 PM
Reply #18

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Had my shocks changed for the non SLS type a few days ago.
Took it thru Klipheuwel/Philidelphia/Atlantis today. It's fun to drive the car again. The old (RH) shock was totally useless, I could move it all the way by light hand force. The LH one was still ok (couldn't depress it), was starting to sweat around the top - indicating a minor leak. I've tried all the local options, and the only supplier found is Subaru. This was also confirmed by Steve, my Subaru mechanic.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

May 24, 2013, 09:11:50 PM
Reply #19

goaliekas

We are in SA after a great trip! Car held up great. Now on to the last few weeks of work and than back overseas again. Will post in the trip report section and the trading thread for those who are interested.